BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #1
GSinILL
Rep
Drives: #28d wagon (F31)

1M options and impact on projected future value

First off, quick intro...
New to 1addicts since I am thinking about buying a 1M to replace a 911 (993) I just sold.
I live in the Chicago suburbs and have owned several BMWs in the past with a 328d F31 being my daily driver at the moment.
I am new to the 1 series world.

Here's my first question:
Given that the 1M is considered an engaging "driver's" car, which of the limited options are considered "must have", "nice to have", etc.
I.e. how does a bare-bone 1M without convenience or any of the premium packages compare price-wise to a nicely equipped one. Also in regard to future value.
Asking since in the crazy Porsche world sometime less is more

Thanks
GS
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
There are so few options, I would want them all. Many here talk about preferring any E82 without Nav, but if you live with one every day like I do, the later Nav cars provide Bluetooth, Bluetooth Audio, and a much better user interface than trying to punch your way through the crappy radio display.
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2426.00
10"4946.00
      11-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
1MNaranja
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinILL View Post
New to 1addicts since I am thinking about buying a 1M to replace a 911 (993) I just sold.
I live in the Chicago suburbs and have owned several BMWs in the past with a 328d F31 being my daily driver at the moment.

Given that the 1M is considered an engaging "driver's" car, which of the limited options are considered "must have", "nice to have", etc.
I.e. how does a bare-bone 1M without convenience or any of the premium packages compare price-wise to a nicely equipped one. Also in regard to future value.

Thanks
GS
Needless to say, options come down to personal preference. It seems like a purist driver would prefer no navigation, manual seats, heated seats.

Personally I prefer no navigation and premium sound (Harman Kardon). The 1M cars with less options seem to be preferred over option loaded examples.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MNaranja View Post
Quote:

Thanks
GS
Needless to say, options come down to personal preference. It seems like a purist driver would prefer no navigation, manual seats, heated seats.

Personally I prefer no navigation and premium sound (Harman Kardon). The 1M cars with less options seem to be preferred over option loaded examples.
historically in all classic cars—-cars with more options of their own era are always preferred over lesser optioned cars.

that being said—there were very few options for the 1M and in the past 10 years we have seen ALL 1Ms sell for plenty of money, optioned or not optioned. The highest priced 1Ms sold were all fully optioned but I really don't think the options mattered—-the car mattered
      11-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
There are so few options, I would want them all. Many here talk about preferring any E82 without Nav, but if you live with one every day like I do, the later Nav cars provide Bluetooth, Bluetooth Audio, and a much better user interface than trying to punch your way through the crappy radio display.
For me the Nav is crucial. Mainly due to the phone lists and for music interface. My daily driver and I LOVE the music hard drive in the car from the factory I have 100s of albums loaded into my car and my family loves it!

The perfect daily driver—for those of us who drive our cars and don't just park them!
      11-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
GSinILL
Rep

Thanks a lot for all the valuable input.
Personally, I don’t really care for the standard functions of the navigation system or built-in audio sources.
The only reason I would want it, is that it is a prerequisite for retrofitting Apple CarPlay which is a must for me in any car that comes close to a daily driver.
Unless I’d be willing to fiddle with the dashboard of a car without navigation.
This would be way too intrusive from a mod perspective, considering the potential impact on the value.
Looks like at least Navigation is something I’d be looking for.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      11-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the valuable input.
Personally, I don't really care for the standard functions of the navigation system or built-in audio sources.
The only reason I would want it, is that it is a prerequisite for retrofitting Apple CarPlay which is a must for me in any car that comes close to a daily driver.
Unless I'd be willing to fiddle with the dashboard of a car without navigation.
This would be way too intrusive from a mod perspective, considering the potential impact on the value.
Looks like at least Navigation is something I'd be looking for.
there are definitely people who have removed the entire OEM navigation and replaced it with a far more modern unit and have used it as a "station" of sorts —-if that's your kinda thing

I personally hate tech so will probably be happy with the OEM navigation + phone connection forever!! 😂😂
      11-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MNaranja View Post
Quote:

Thanks
GS

historically in all classic cars—-cars with more options of their own era are always preferred over lesser optioned cars.

that being said—there were very few options for the 1M and in the past 10 years we have seen ALL 1Ms sell for plenty of money, optioned or not optioned. The highest priced 1Ms sold were all fully optioned but I really don't think the options mattered—-the car mattered
Absolute diarrhea BS. There are so few 1Ms that many want them lighter with less options. The No premium package cars have manual seats which are lighter and have a better seating position that many want. So since there are so few of those and many that want them it really makes no difference in the 1M. Condition and mileage makes a difference. There are fans that want the the nav free cars without parking sensors and few cars that it really doesn't make a difference. For most BLoaded is better but there are some that want the lightest, simplest variant so decide what you prioritize and go for it. Best of luck on your search.
Appreciate 2
Nkc1600.50
      11-07-2022, 11:56 PM   #9
Paco1M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 1m E82  [8.32]
the electric seats aren't just heavier, they're also higher which is a spec i don't want in this car because you're always sitting too high with oem seats..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 05:42 AM   #10
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

So you've never owned an M car before, welcome. All M cars very well optioned from the factory, most desired option on them is the driving performance.

The 1M only had one creature-comfort option in the states, executive package. you either get a car with navigation and powered seats or you get a car with no navigation and no power seats.

You want a car with navigation, then swap out the seats for F8x or from https://amx-performance.com
Appreciate 1
Paco1M101.50
      11-08-2022, 06:01 AM   #11
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1M View Post
the electric seats aren't just heavier, they're also higher which is a spec i don't want in this car because you're always sitting too high with oem seats..
it's like a 7lb difference per seat—the motors are small. It's not a big deal. Definitely not worth agonizing over. The wiring is the same on all 1Ms. The height difference may matter for taller people over 6 foot 2 but for most people like me any seat feels plenty low—but again it depends on the person more than the car!
      11-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #12
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I think either way is great, No nav feels focused, Nav has some surprisingly good interface and ease that I was not expecting.

Solid music interface I use through my USB, song with graphics, playlists, etc...

-- Very modern looking for a car of this era. Also, my Nav has XM radio option. I would want if this was my daily.

Also, full phone contacts and interface with blue-tooth is very good and easy to use and see...my 09 manual 3-series (no nav) did not have this and it was a very different interaction, user interface was not as simple.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I think either way is great, No nav feels focused, Nav has some surprisingly good interface and ease that I was not expecting.

Solid music interface I use through my USB, song with graphics, playlists, etc...

-- Very modern looking for a car of this era. Also, my Nav has XM radio option. I would want if this was my daily.

Also, full phone contacts and interface with blue-tooth is very good and easy to use and see...my 09 manual 3-series (no nav) did not have this and it was a very different interaction, user interface was not as simple.
Honestly, the only difference I saw between 2011 1M and 2016 F80 iDrive was the touch interface on larger click-wheel (which I almost never used). I do miss scrolling through music on dash using little scroll wheel on the F80 steering wheel. It is also possible to download and update nav maps via USB port in glove box.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      11-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
GSinILL
Rep

Thanks all.
The car I was eyeballing and that triggered my question is currently listed on BaT.
This will be a good indicator on demand...

As for me, I will probably wait until one with navigation pops up since it seems to be fairly unintrusive to get Apple CarPlay retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #15
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all.
The car I was eyeballing and that triggered my question is currently listed on BaT.
This will be a good indicator on demand...

As for me, I will probably wait until one with navigation pops up since it seems to be fairly unintrusive to get Apple CarPlay retrofitted.
I can't say that BaT is a good indicator on demand, since they only allow one 1M to be listed at a time. There are many others out there: http://www.1mcoupebuyersguide.com/listings

Considering the 1M is a collector car, and you seem interested in the impact on resale value, I would wager that retrofitting Apple CarPlay won't help there.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:28 PM   #16
GSinILL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
I can't say that BaT is a good indicator on demand, since they only allow one 1M to be listed at a time. There are many others out there: http://www.1mcoupebuyersguide.com/listings

Considering the 1M is a collector car, and you seem interested in the impact on resale value, I would wager that retrofitting Apple CarPlay won't help there.
Wow, thanks for the site, wasn't aware of it.
I still think that the results on BaT are a good pointer when it comes to my initial question about options.
As to the CarPlay retrofit, seems to be easy to convert it back to stock: https://www.babybmw.net/threads/nbt-...-heavy.105698/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 07:19 PM   #17
Toronto1M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Personally I was looking for one without nav or any other options so those spec cars had a premium for me, but maybe not others. It's my fun car, not a daily driver so I didn't care for a nav system and think it will date the car as it becomes older. It's also something else that could break. I rarely turn the radio on in the car so it doesn't bother me that the stock sound system isn't that great and I can Bluetooth pair a phone which is all I need.

Generally I think lower mileage and closer to stock cars carry the price premium, regardless of options.
Black was the rarest color then white and orange is the most common - but all personal preference there.

As with any car the ones to avoid are the ones that have been heavily modded, show signs of abuse or heavy wear, serious accidents or a dozen owners in the past 11 years. Unless you're looking for a track toy and plan on changing a lot of things anyways.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      11-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #18
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Glad to see Bimmerpost is still relevant and a source of historical knowledge as so many people have moved to other platforms where information disappears.

Personally my 1M has comfort access, powered & heated seats, and nav. I love it and as someone said ^^^ the access to music library and harddrive, even at only 8GBs, is quite handy.

If I want current maps, I use Waze on my phone, but the display in the 1M is accurate 80% of the time and the display is larger to see versus my iphone.

Good decision.....and nice to see some familiar faces/names chime in!
      11-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #19
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep

Love this thread, especially being recent. I have a '13 135is that I absolutely love, but it is approaching 100k miles. It's in great condition, with a super dependable N55. I recently parted with my '07 335 N54, which was a great platform also, and I'm familiar with it.

I'm looking to upgrade to the 1M even though prices are through the roof rn. For personal reasons I have to wait until 2023 (anytime after Jan. 1).

I definitely want the stripped-down variant, like my 135. I have a few questions:

1 - Did any come with sunroof? The sunroof is the only thing I dislike about my 135.
2 - I'm pretty much up for anything that is low-optioned and <50k miles, as the <10k are just too much money. So at that mid-range mileage, what should I be looking for?
3 - When should I start engaging if I want to pull the trigger Jan 1? In other words, what is the average time on market for these cars? Do you have to be quick?

thanks all.
      11-29-2022, 08:27 PM   #20
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto1M View Post
I rarely turn the radio on in the car
^this. With my 135is, I just want to hear the car. Hoping the 1M is even better.
      11-30-2022, 07:01 AM   #21
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
Love this thread, especially being recent. I have a '13 135is that I absolutely love, but it is approaching 100k miles. It's in great condition, with a super dependable N55. I recently parted with my '07 335 N54, which was a great platform also, and I'm familiar with it.

I'm looking to upgrade to the 1M even though prices are through the roof rn. For personal reasons I have to wait until 2023 (anytime after Jan. 1).

I definitely want the stripped-down variant, like my 135. I have a few questions:

1 - Did any come with sunroof? The sunroof is the only thing I dislike about my 135.
2 - I'm pretty much up for anything that is low-optioned and <50k miles, as the <10k are just too much money. So at that mid-range mileage, what should I be looking for?
3 - When should I start engaging if I want to pull the trigger Jan 1? In other words, what is the average time on market for these cars? Do you have to be quick?

thanks all.
1) I stand to be corrected, but there should not be any 1M with a factory fitted sunroof, for me thats the easiest way to spot a clone

2) i purchased mines with just over 20000miles, "38000km" to be exact. For me it was more important to find the right, unmolested one versus low mileage.

3) At the current price point, i think its only collectors and serious enthusiasts that are purchasing these vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Paco1M101.50
      12-17-2022, 04:29 AM   #22
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I never understood the "weight" argument, despite the fact that no-nav for instance wasn't even an option in a lot of markets. I do get the no gimmick, driver focused cockpit. Except that's the E9x M3 with the sleek dash. The non-nav dash in a 1 series, is just that. Suitable for a 1 series designed and sold on a budget. The weight of an idrive controller plus the screen is about 400grams.

Recaros > any 1 series seat. Better if original BMWP or even retrims. Manual only saves 7 imperial units. Some report that more needs to be changed to actually sit lower. As is the reluctance of most 1M owners, knowledge is thin hence the lack of documentation.

"Lightest" build code is often a fallacy in modern manufactured cars. It really only applies to obvious things like no sunroof or cf roof for M2CS/3/4 models etc. The guy that slaps on a set of light 18s, since, M359s are a heavy wheel or just a section of exhaust has already outdone your "stripper" effort. Cue the incoming "but mah original is lighter" which entirely fails to appreciate the car imho along the same vein that some believe it's perfect from factory. Which begs the question, was this their first car?. That's really obvious with those that don't know how to drive 3 pedals too.
PRTSB1M285.00