BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2022, 01:46 AM   #1
balkanbemve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Apex Wheel Spacers- have you had a problem?

Has anyone ever had a problem with their car shaking after 75mph+ after installing apex spacers?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Anytime spacers are installed extra care has to be taken to ensure they are fully seated properly against the hub surface. In addition the hub surface should be perfectly flat/clean as well as the "lip" on the hub that the spacer needs to seat around fully, same as the backing surfaces of the wheel itself.

You can use a very very mild sanding block (like the ones to do final finish on drywall putty) to gently remove dirt/dried grease/surface rust.

Torqueing the wheel bolts is super important, in the right "star pattern". Lastly if none of this helps and you're sure everything was done properly AND the problem doesn't exist without the spacers - perhaps there is an inherent issue with your set of spacers (unlikely).

Also carefully check that the spacers you have fit fully "over" the hub lips and they are seated flush against the hub surface.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2023, 01:39 PM   #3
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by balkanbemve View Post
Has anyone ever had a problem with their car shaking after 75mph+ after installing apex spacers?
Agree with all the points above, I've not yet encountered an issue with our spacers that causes vibrations as long as the correct extended hardware and torquing process is used. What width of spacers are you running and what wheels are being used? Certain widths like 12mm have a built-in chamfer that we use to support the hubcentric ring. if you're running a wheel that has zero allowance for the chamfer, that can cause an issue with vibrations but nearly all wheels account for this to some degree. All of our wheels certainly do.

-Tom
      03-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
balkanbemve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Agree with all the points above, I've not yet encountered an issue with our spacers that causes vibrations as long as the correct extended hardware and torquing process is used. What width of spacers are you running and what wheels are being used? Certain widths like 12mm have a built-in chamfer that we use to support the hubcentric ring. if you're running a wheel that has zero allowance for the chamfer, that can cause an issue with vibrations but nearly all wheels account for this to some degree. All of our wheels certainly do.

-Tom
I have the APEX Arc8 staggered setup 9.5 rear 8.5 front with the recommended offset for the 135i. Tire sizes are 225 up front and 255 rear. I had all the wheels re-balanced with road force. It fixed the problem significantly but shifted the vibration range to 55mph-65mph. Shaking now is like a 2/10 so a lot less but still there. I have a 3mm in front and 5mm in back. Removed the front spacers and it got better ever so slightly. New 4 pieces control arms installed up front as well. Everything torqued to spec, hubs cleaned. I have run out of ideas. It’s bearable but I like things to be like when I had my stock wheels. Maybe I’ll take the fronts back to americas tire for a 3rd rebalance. Not sure what it could be.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by balkanbemve View Post
I have the APEX Arc8 staggered setup 9.5 rear 8.5 front with the recommended offset for the 135i. Tire sizes are 225 up front and 255 rear. I had all the wheels re-balanced with road force. It fixed the problem significantly but shifted the vibration range to 55mph-65mph. Shaking now is like a 2/10 so a lot less but still there. I have a 3mm in front and 5mm in back. Removed the front spacers and it got better ever so slightly. New 4 pieces control arms installed up front as well. Everything torqued to spec, hubs cleaned. I have run out of ideas. It’s bearable but I like things to be like when I had my stock wheels. Maybe I’ll take the fronts back to americas tire for a 3rd rebalance. Not sure what it could be.
Did you clean/lightly sand with a flexible block the mounting surface on the wheels themselves? They can develop some uneven spots over time.

That aside, I wonder if you have a tire that's out of round or rim that's slightly off...other than your wheel bearings/hubs being compromised somehow.
Appreciate 0