BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #1
mitchellbrown98
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Secondary Cat or Resonator Delete?

I have installed the BMW PE on my 128i but I would like it to be a little louder.

I am considering buying either the supersprint section 1 cat delete or the supersprint section 2 resonator delete.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these deletes, which would be a better option for sound, and if I would get any drone with a resonator delete.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i, 6MT, LSD, DISA

Hey, Mitchellbrown! I don't have the exact same setup, but...

I bought the SuperSprint section 1 (cat-less) and a Magnaflow system more than a year ago when they were on sale. I finally got around to installing them and I drove it for the first time down to Green Bay and back. It sounds just marginally deeper, especially on startup, and certainly louder on acceleration, however, there is no drone and only slightly louder cruising on the highway.

Hope this helps. By the way, prepare to break the exhaust flange studs. My car has only 28K miles and has no rust. However, those studs are made to rust and they are easy to break. I soaked them in ATF/Acetone mixture for days, but I still broke 3 of 4. I broke the fourth one on purpose and for good measure. I tried pressing them out, but to no avail. Buy quality cobalt drills ($$$) and take your time drilling them out.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
mitchellbrown98
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raposka View Post
Hey, Mitchellbrown! I don't have the exact same setup, but...

I bought the SuperSprint section 1 (cat-less) and a Magnaflow system more than a year ago when they were on sale. I finally got around to installing them and I drove it for the first time down to Green Bay and back. It sounds just marginally deeper, especially on startup, and certainly louder on acceleration, however, there is no drone and only slightly louder cruising on the highway.

Hope this helps. By the way, prepare to break the exhaust flange studs. My car has only 28K miles and has no rust. However, those studs are made to rust and they are easy to break. I soaked them in ATF/Acetone mixture for days, but I still broke 3 of 4. I broke the fourth one on purpose and for good measure. I tried pressing them out, but to no avail. Buy quality cobalt drills ($$$) and take your time drilling them out.

Good luck!
Thanks raposka, that helps. Did you just buy new bolts to replace the flange studs?

Also, did you have to cut the section 1 pipes from supersprint in order to fit them with the oem resonator section 2 pipe? Or was that replaced by your magnaflow system?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
Killswitch
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have the PE installed and had the 2ndary cats removed. After couple weeks of the PE install the sound settle and became slightly more quiet. I then decided to have the secondary cats removed which help bring the PE back to life. I had this setup for about 7 years now...lol Btw also have AA tune in case of any faults from having the cats removed. This have been discussed in other threads. If you have any question just hit me up. Still get pop and gurgles not sure if this your cup of tea.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hello, again. I replaced the studs, after I drilled them out, with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and lock washers from the local hardware store. I did not have to cut anything on the SuperSprint section, but the OE right side mid-pipe is a slightly smaller outside diameter (~2.14"), while the left (driver's) side is (~2.25"). The Magnaflow system is developed to fit directly over these pipes. The SuperSprint section 1 is 2.25" on both pipes. So, I had to stretch the right side of the Magnaflow system. I clamped it down on my work bench and used my pipe expander and air gun. If you do this, be sure you have a high quality pipe expander. I broke two cheaper ones before I bought the more expensive Lysle Tools set. That did the trick in short order. Also, I had to buy another 2.25" Accuseal clamp, since the Magnaflow system comes with a 2.25" and a 2" for the smaller side.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
mitchellbrown98
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raposka View Post
Hello, again. I replaced the studs, after I drilled them out, with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and lock washers from the local hardware store. I did not have to cut anything on the SuperSprint section, but the OE right side mid-pipe is a slightly smaller outside diameter (~2.14"), while the left (driver's) side is (~2.25"). The Magnaflow system is developed to fit directly over these pipes. The SuperSprint section 1 is 2.25" on both pipes. So, I had to stretch the right side of the Magnaflow system. I clamped it down on my work bench and used my pipe expander and air gun. If you do this, be sure you have a high quality pipe expander. I broke two cheaper ones before I bought the more expensive Lysle Tools set. That did the trick in short order. Also, I had to buy another 2.25" Accuseal clamp, since the Magnaflow system comes with a 2.25" and a 2" for the smaller side.
I think i'm going to go with an exhaust shop and just have them cut out the cats and weld in some pipes instead, probably easier and cheaper route for me. Anyways, thanks a bunch for all the info! Very helpful!
      06-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Mitchell, Check this out. I remembered seeing a post from a guy that had the same idea. He had the SS cat-less mid pipe and the Magnaflow system. The only difference is that he had a shop weld the smaller diameter pipe on the magnaflow to the larger SS pipe. You can see it in the pictures.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=215

I preferred to keep it modular, so expanding the one pipe on the Magnaflow allows me to take it apart later, if I need to. This makes it easier to do other work in the future.

I don't use my 128i as a daily driver, so I have plenty of time to work on it in my shop. Also, working on my car is one of my past-time hobbies. I even enjoyed drilling out the broken studs on the exhaust flange. I completely understand if you wish to avoid all that, but I will encourage you to attempt it yourself. It is really not too hard.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I have the PE and SS resonator delete, and in this warmer weather I actually wish it was louder. I might consider the SS cat deletes but I just don't want to induce drone or rasp. Right now I have none of those.

From the current volume of my PE & resonator delete, I want to say the secondary cat delete will result in more noise than a resonator delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
mitchellbrown98
Canada
Rep

Went to an exhaust shop today and they cut the seconday cats out and welded pipes in their place, took them less than 2 hours to do the job and it sounds great! Figured it was easier and cheaper than buying the SS secondary cat delete pipes and having to cut them to make them fit with my oem resonator. Will post an exhaust clip later.
      06-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Nice work! With the BMW Performance Exhaust and the OE resonator, I think you have a good combination! Removing the secondary cats should do something for the sound, but nothing too harsh. Once you get it how you like it, just enjoy it and leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #11
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I have the PE and SS resonator delete, and in this warmer weather I actually wish it was louder. I might consider the SS cat deletes but I just don't want to induce drone or rasp. Right now I have none of those.

From the current volume of my PE & resonator delete, I want to say the secondary cat delete will result in more noise than a resonator delete.
Chris, I feel the same way sometimes and wish my setup were a little louder. But, my 128 is really a GT car in the truest sense. I only drive it during the summer months when I am on break (I'm a professor) and then I take it for long drives down to Detroit, Chicago, and Louisville, to visit family. On long drives, a loud exhaust can really wear you down.

When I really get on the throttle, I can definitely hear the difference. But, on the long highway journey, it is still relatively mellow.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellbrown98 View Post
Went to an exhaust shop today and they cut the seconday cats out and welded pipes in their place, took them less than 2 hours to do the job and it sounds great! Figured it was easier and cheaper than buying the SS secondary cat delete pipes and having to cut them to make them fit with my oem resonator. Will post an exhaust clip later.
They didn't question or object to it? That's hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
mitchellbrown98
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
They didn't question or object to it? That's hilarious!
Nope, we don't have emissions testing here in Calgary, and I had mentioned that they were the secondary cats, but they had no issue doing it.
      06-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellbrown98 View Post
Nope, we don't have emissions testing here in Calgary, and I had mentioned that they were the secondary cats, but they had no issue doing it.
Hmmm.... we don't have it in Florida either might have to visit an exhaust shop! Rough number for how much it cost ya?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #15
mitchellbrown98
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Hmmm.... we don't have it in Florida either might have to visit an exhaust shop! Rough number for how much it cost ya?
Cost me just under $400 Cad, but I saw guys getting quoted a little cheaper on someone's thread under the 3 series forums. Also have heard of guys paying higher.