BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #375
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
Damn that looks so fun. I'm curious how insurance works with racing a street legal car. Are you covered if something happens? Or do they even know you race?
Usually your regular insurance will not cover any incidents on track. There are separate insurance policies you can buy for one day/track specific etc, google Track Day Insurance and you'll find a few.
Appreciate 1
Skotcoop267.50
      02-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #376
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
Hi Alex, I hope button worked out well! Maybe you even scored another PB!(they don't come easily though'-)

How are those power flex sub frame and diff bushs working out? Still solid/ not wearing/ still hard enough?

I need to do mine, right from the start and even the first test drive it was immediately obvious these were an issue and on top of that i fitted some new wheels with descent(ish) rubber a couple of days ago and the problem is even more accentuated now....hard braking at 200 over a minorish bump and the car jumps to one side by about a meter.. not too cool feeling!

You commented earlier in the thread about taking a solid bushed car home for the night and the NVH being an issue... Although Ive seen lots of people comment that solid bushs are not an issue and that its the diff bushs that will transmit noise.

Any thoughts to share?
I upgraded my rear Subframe bushings with the two piece whiteline ones.

However, I think what made the most significant change to decrease that rear end wobble over bumps (I get them over un-even pavement, depressed sewer grates, etc) is to upgrade your rear control arms. The M ones from the M3/1M are a direct swap and pretty easy to install. A few different sites sell complete kits with all 4 arms and a new bracket that's required.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #377
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Damn that looks so fun. I'm curious how insurance works with racing a street legal car. Are you covered if something happens? Or do they even know you race?
Some companies (I think GEICO was one) used to insure for HPDE with certain organizers, maybe they still do, but I'm not sure. That's ONLY for non-competitive, non-timed driving. Companies do offer track day-specific insurance options, and may have options for time trial. RLI, Lockton, and Hagerty are a few examples. Depends on the car, but for my car it's $150 for a weekend.
Skotcoop267.50
      02-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #378
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Update: Was close to running my 1:52 lap, but caught up to a buddy in his Vette and he slowed me down at the fastest part of the track unfortunately.
Still a PB, but I'll be back to get it on the 28th and 29th.
Ugh...I soooo need to get back on a track
      02-15-2020, 12:44 AM   #379
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Some companies (I think GEICO was one) used to insure for HPDE with certain organizers, maybe they still do, but I'm not sure. That's ONLY for non-competitive, non-timed driving. Companies do offer track day-specific insurance options, and may have options for time trial. RLI, Lockton, and Hagerty are a few examples. Depends on the car, but for my car it's $150 for a weekend.
Gotcha Thanks. I have GEICO so I'll have to ask once I get around to bringing mine to the track.
      02-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #380
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Gotcha Thanks. I have GEICO so I'll have to ask once I get around to bringing mine to the track.
Be careful about asking, I've heard of a few people being kicked off their insurance for even asking. I'd carefully mull over your policy first
Skotcoop267.50
amg6975486.50
      02-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #381
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
You are most certainly not covered by your regular insurance if you wad it up on the track. There is track day insurance you can buy though. I've seen people get minor damage and claim that it was done in the driveway hitting a stone wall or something, but that's probably straight up insurance fraud so I wouldn't really suggest it.

Of note though: AAA doesn't give a shit. They'll come get you from the parking lot with obvious track damage.
Appreciate 1
Skotcoop267.50
      04-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #382
blossom
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012 dct

Hi Alex, I trust shits not getting too crazy where you are!(interesting times!)

Whats you opinion with regards to ride height with our cars relative to factory height for optimal handling? I am sure this has been talked about but I've never seen the chatter so thought I might as well ask you.

Don't worry about answering this I have come across fe1rx's threads. I imagine the answer will be there!

Last edited by blossom; 04-28-2020 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #383
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MB M2cs, 2022 X5e, 2008 T4R

qq - hows the turbo lag on your single setup?

Past: a91 ref blue Zupra, 86 Starion, 350z, Supra TT Auto, Supra TT 6 spd, IM/IM E46 M3, BMW 1m Coupe x2, S2000, 987.2 CS, ND2 MX5, LSB e46 M3 x2, 993 911
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #384
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Awesome build!!! Looking to do something very similar with my recently purchased 135i.

Question on your alignment/suspension setup. You were able to get -3+ degrees of camber with camber plates and the spl front lower control arms? I'm currently running TcKline coils with their camber plate and at my current castor settings, I'm maxed out at -2.1* of front camber. The adjuster on the front shocks will hit the side of the cutout at the shock tower if I go anymore...I am stock arms all around right now though. I was hoping for -3 to -3.5* of camber in the front as I run -3.4* in my e46 m3 and turn in feels amazing.

Did you run into this problem at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #385
amg6975
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
Awesome build!!! Looking to do something very similar with my recently purchased 135i.

Question on your alignment/suspension setup. You were able to get -3+ degrees of camber with camber plates and the spl front lower control arms? I'm currently running TcKline coils with their camber plate and at my current castor settings, I'm maxed out at -2.1* of front camber. The adjuster on the front shocks will hit the side of the cutout at the shock tower if I go anymore...I am stock arms all around right now though. I was hoping for -3 to -3.5* of camber in the front as I run -3.4* in my e46 m3 and turn in feels amazing.

Did you run into this problem at all?
I have the same issue, with M3 arms I get around -2.5 degrees. Super annoying, I'm not sure how people are getting -3... I'm debating just cutting the shock tower holes but I'm really not thrilled with that idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #386
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
I have the same issue, with M3 arms I get around -2.5 degrees. Super annoying, I'm not sure how people are getting -3... I'm debating just cutting the shock tower holes but I'm really not thrilled with that idea.
It is very annoying... I can probably dial my caster setting back a little to get arround -2.5 or so degrees... That's why i was wondering if those adjustable SPL front arms would get me over -3*.

I've thought about cutting the shock towers as well but not sure I want to go that route yet. If I can get confirmation that the SPL arms is the missing link to get to -3*, I will get those instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #387
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
For numerous reasons I've extended the length of my shock tower holes to allow adjustment of up to -4* on my E92 M3. I extended the holes about 1/4" to get enough adjustment from the top to reach -4*. I could get more negative camber by using my control arms but that messes with toe and also affects my tire clearance at the top of the fender - which is why I wanted more out of the top.

It's quite easy to do, can be done nicely and will also be hidden if you run a strut brace. If you're in need of more camber this is a very reasonable route.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #388
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

I would agree that in general, slotting the upper shock tower hole is superior as it really helps with tire clearance as well as providing extra camber. The one gotcha is that many race series do not allow this until you get to quite unlimited classes so beware if you ever intend to progress through to racing and read the rules carefully.

-Mark
      04-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #389
amg6975
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I would agree that in general, slotting the upper shock tower hole is superior as it really helps with tire clearance as well as providing extra camber. The one gotcha is that many race series do not allow this until you get to quite unlimited classes so beware if you ever intend to progress through to racing and read the rules carefully.

-Mark
This is one of my biggest fears. I don't think I'd go wheel to wheel racing with it but I could definitely see Time Attacks in my future. I looked up NASA and they're fine with it as far as I can see.

I think the path I'm right now is to use a thin wall drill bushing to actually raise up the position of the nut and see how much extra that gives me. Then I can push the bushing right up against the hole and it'll still be able to turn. I'll report back my findings.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #390
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

NASA is fine. It's really SCCA that is going to be a problem.

-Mark
      05-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #391
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
Hi Alex, I trust shits not getting too crazy where you are!(interesting times!)

Whats you opinion with regards to ride height with our cars relative to factory height for optimal handling? I am sure this has been talked about but I've never seen the chatter so thought I might as well ask you.

Don't worry about answering this I have come across fe1rx's threads. I imagine the answer will be there!
Eh, shit is a little nuts here in LA but we are just on lockdown riding it out. Not as bad as my family and friends in NY of course.

Yeah he's more on the engineering side for sure... I've just done what has worked for me and really haven't dug too much into front height / rake. The car is corner balanced and high enough to leave room for my wheels/tires/caster and so on. I've never tried simple things like adding an inch up front or removing an inch out back, etc... Most of my tuning has been with alignments, spring rates, sway bars and driving style.

I haven't given an update in a while I guess, so why not... The last time I was at the track, I was on a mission to run a 1:52. Buddy of mine and a BMW dude you guys may know, Mike Essa, gave me a set of very used Yoko slicks to try out.

I've been on a real mission as you guys know, to continue to push and set records on street tires, mainly the Nexen SUR4G's. I like the consistency and the bragging rights, despite knowing I could be faster with different compounds.

Anyway -- I gave in and figured I'd try the slicks out, expecting miracles... These things were shot. I had zero front grip, however, the rear-end was FINALLY planted... Managed to squeeze out a 1:52.61 and a 1:52.66. The .66 lap was a lot cleaner, and if I didn't understeer through Riverside (the high speed sweeper) and didn't run up on that Camaro at the fastest part of the track, this was my 51 lap! After reviewing the data, my theoretical best lap was a 1:51.60.

I learned how to use Race Render, and input the GPS data from the AIM Solo, and even got super nerdy to make a 135i speedometer. Here's the PB lap.

The weather was great this day, but the following day we had heat and a dusty track for Bimmer Challenge. I threw the Nexen's back on but wasn't able to improve on my old 1:53.1 time. EVERYONE was off pace this day by a good 2-3 seconds which was crazy. Managed to come away with 3rd in my class, losing by a few hundredths to my buddy in his full race-prep E46 M3 on A052's, and Steve from EAS in his insane S54 E36 on BFG slicks... His car makes 350whp and weighs 2600lbs. It's incredible.

Here's from the end of the day and me being an idiot, scaring the Cali Photo dude at the top of Cotton Corners.

I don't think I showed you guys the new wheels yet either. The Titan7's have been rock solid on the track and I love the way they look, but I needed a second set of wheels of street/spares/slicks, and have always wanted a set of Fikse's.

Brant at Fikse custom spec'd these for me. Profil-10, 18x10 +19 with 3" lips all around. Extra weight has been shaved where possible, polished lips and anodized gold centers. True 3 piece wheel with hidden hardware and they weigh under 21 lbs each, which is amazing.

Appreciate 9
AndyW650.00
houtan701.00
1and11851.50
Rundskop145.00
      05-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #392
triggergt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M package

love your car man!!!
I wish your boys at Hoonigan did a build biology on your car as it sits now. I remember watching the video's of you and Vin when you first got this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #393
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggergt View Post
love your car man!!!
I wish your boys at Hoonigan did a build biology on your car as it sits now. I remember watching the video's of you and Vin when you first got this car.
Thanks man.
We literally had the video shoot on the schedule the Thursday things went south and the stay at home order was mandated. Soon enough!
Appreciate 1
Rundskop145.00
      07-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #394
berns
Captain
Rep

Well guys -- baby on the way, due in November. I've been thinking about hopping into something a little less expensive and more simple, and couldn't pass up a deal on this 2008 E92 M3. 94k on it, 6 speed, no nav, cloth seats, carbon roof. Came with a StopTech bbk and exhaust. Needs some love but it's solid overall!

You all know how much I love the 1M-clone, as I poured a lot of time, money, love and actual blood into this build, and surprised some people in the process. Running laptimes reserved for full trailer-only racecars in a car with an interor and 200tw Nexens has been pretty fun.

Before I put the car up online or Bring A Trailer, I wanted to offer it to my E82 community. If you're seriously interested in the car, slide into my DMs or send me an email. Alex.m.Bernstein@gmail.com

Car is immaculate. All fresh paint. Not a single engine light or fault. Runs flawlessly, makes a consistent 530whp/480lb-ft. Has a tune for 91 octane and a tune for E30. This is a turn-key build that won't need anything for a while. I am going to be taking the MCS and Fikse wheels off and possibly the Recaro's. Stock seats (front & rear, along with stock trunk will be sold with the car.) Suspension will still be street/track quality coilovers, the Apex wheels are coming off the e92 and onto the 1 as well. Other than that, it's ready to go. 76k on the clock.

Last edited by berns; 07-13-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
Suprgnat2281.00
SCato13.50
      07-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #395
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
20 years from now...
      07-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #396
amg6975
Captain
Rep

Congrats on the kid... my wife and I are expecting our first in November as well!

I just spun a rod bearing in my 135 so it's on the side line, I wish I had the budget to buy your car.
Appreciate 0