BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Exclamation Post up your HIIT routines!

(HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training, for those who didn't know.)

Post 'em up so we can get ideas on new routines, find out what is/isn't working for other people, etc.

Here's mine on the treadmil, total of 25 minutes including my warmup. Incline is set to about 2.5

Warmup:

5 min jog @ 4mph

Intervals:
2 min sprint @ 6mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint @ 6.5mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint at 7mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint @ 7.5mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint @ 8mph

Cool-down:
6 min walk @ 3mph

I gradually increase the speed each time making it more difficult for myself so I don't plateau.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Jumping Jacks – 1 minute
Bodyweight Squat – 20 reps
Push-ups – as many as possible
Jog in place – 1 minute
Hamstring floor bridge – 20 reps
Superman – 20 reps
High knees – 1 minute
Lunge – 20 reps
Torso twist – 20 reps
Side bends – 20 reps
Mountain climbers – 1 minute
Wall sit – as long as you can hold it
Dips – as many reps as possible

repeat until you drop dead
      08-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I usually do distances and not timed when I train.
I usually warm up jog a mile or so.
5 50m sprints @ 75%
5 50m sprints @ 100%
4 100m @ 100%
3 200m @ 100%
2 300m @ 100%
1 400m @ 100%
Then cool down jog.
As I get in better shape, I try to do more obviously.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Us in the Crossfit Community will often throw in a Tabatta routine when programming our workouts. If you're not familiar with it, its usually 8 rounds of 20 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest. You can use just about any exercise in the routine (ie. pushups, situps, air squats, pull-ups). I've also used it for sprints and rowing.
      08-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
(HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training, for those who didn't know.)

Post 'em up so we can get ideas on new routines, find out what is/isn't working for other people, etc.

Here's mine on the treadmil, total of 25 minutes including my warmup. Incline is set to about 2.5

Warmup:

5 min jog @ 4mph

Intervals:
2 min sprint @ 6mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint @ 6.5mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint at 7mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint @ 7.5mph
1 min rest @ 3mph
2 min sprint @ 8mph

Cool-down:
6 min walk @ 3mph

I gradually increase the speed each time making it more difficult for myself so I don't plateau.
You cannot do H.I.I.T. on a typical treadmill because it doesn't go fast enough.

You're suppose to go balls out AKA sprint. The speeds you're using are too slow.

Also you're doing it too long. H.I.I.T. is suppose to last around only 10 minutes and it's suppose to feel like hell afterward.

IE: Unless you're obese, you can hit at least 10MPH easily.

And there is no resting in H.I.I.T. otherwise it wouldn't be 'high intensity', as indicated in you in between intervals. It's suppose to be sprint followed by jogging and then repeat. The point is that you're suppose to really tire out your muscles so it has the rest of the day and the following day to recover.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Posting this now because time didn't permit in the earlier post.

I try to mix things up when I do H.I.I.T., actually I try to mix things up in general when it comes to exercise.

I go to the local park and high school to use their track because those places are the only 2 places I know that have enough distance for me to run uninterrupted. Sometimes I just run balls out with a regular H.I.I.T. Sometimes I wear a 20 lb vest to switch things up. With the vest on, my speeds are slower, but it keeps things interesting.

Same goes when I lift weight at the gym. Every now and then, 8 weeks on average I'd say, I switch from regular weight/regular reps to high weight/low reps, low weight/high reps or pyramids.

Just be sure you stay hydrated when exercising, especially in the summer. And fuel yourself up properly after you work out.

Another great cardio exercise is plyometrics and as girly as this sounds, spinning.

Happy training.

Oh one last thing, spend about a minute to thoroughly stretch your body before exercising. Stretch from your wrists to your elbows to your arms to your knees to your ankles.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
And there is no resting in H.I.I.T. otherwise it wouldn't be 'high intensity', as indicated in you in between intervals. It's suppose to be sprint followed by jogging and then repeat. The point is that you're suppose to really tire out your muscles so it has the rest of the day and the following day to recover.
The opposite is actually true. High intensity doesn't mean no rest. High intensity means you bust your ass so fucking much that you have to rest. If you have a HIIT program where rest periods are not planned, you're predominantly training your aerobic energy system which would defeat the purpose of HIIT which focuses on the ATP-CP and lactic acid energy systems. If you're taxing the aerobic energy system, you will largely be fatiguing smaller muscle fibers (type I) and miss out on the benefits of the metabolic boost due to EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption).

Quote:
Another great cardio exercise is plyometrics and as girly as this sounds, spinning.
Plymometrics trains the ATP-CP energy system (set should last less than 15s), target the entire continuum of muscle fiber including type IIx muscle fibers, and are used to increase the discharge rate of motor units to improve power production. Spinning isn't plyometric training; it's largely aerobic training with small periods of time in the lactic acid energy system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Jumping Jacks – 1 minute
Bodyweight Squat – 20 reps
Push-ups – as many as possible
Jog in place – 1 minute
Hamstring floor bridge – 20 reps
Superman – 20 reps
High knees – 1 minute
Lunge – 20 reps
Torso twist – 20 reps
Side bends – 20 reps
Mountain climbers – 1 minute
Wall sit – as long as you can hold it
Dips – as many reps as possible

repeat until you drop dead
If there is no rest, there is no interval. You're predominantly training only your type I muscle fibers unless you're a beginner and taxing the aerobic energy system.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Bobby-dude, from reading your previous posts in this field...you have to be an elite trainer.

Can you set up an example of a H.I.I.T. routine? I think I understood the gist of your post, but I just want to be sure.

The info I posted up previously was what I've learned from articles and talking to other exercise hobbyists.

As for the spinning and plyo part...I mainly searched into plyo to use as a warm up cardio prior to lifting because for me, I can't just go into the gym and lift right away. The spinning....my friend's wife invited me to take a class with her. I thought I can excel, especially with the class being filled with older woman. But after 10 minutes, I was dying, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Can you set up an example of a H.I.I.T. routine? I think I understood the gist of your post, but I just want to be sure.
Anything that includes high levels of work followed by rest is HIIT in my eyes. So weight training with loads between 70 to 100% of 1RM for sets at or near failure followed by 30s to 5 minute rest periods in between sets is HIIT. The amount of rest and the load used will depend on what you're trying to do with your training. Some may disagree with this interpretation of HIIT which is fine, but ultimately you will still receive the benefit of EPOC if done properly as well as the bonus of recruitment of much of the muscle fiber continuum.

Someone already mentioned the Tabata protocol (20s of effort, 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times for total of 4 minutes). This is a good way to tax the lactic acid energy system. However, due to the very short rest periods, you aren't able to use heavy loads. You can manipulate the Tabata to match your level of fitness (15s on, 15s off; 10s on, 20s off; decrease the number of rounds). It's not easy. Use multi-joint movements like the back squat, front squat, or pushups.

Sprint Interval Example with 1:3 work to rest ratio
60s on, 180s off repeat 1 times
45s on, 135s off repeat 2 times
30s on, 90s off repeat 3 times
20s on, 60s off repeat 3 times
15s on, 45s off repeat 4 times
Total work time = 7m 05s

The intent must be full effort on each sprint despite fatigue; I wouldn't do this on a treadmill. Ultimately, the program you make and the methods you use should match your training goal and should be progressed weekly for 2 to 5 weeks followed by a week of decreased volume (deloading) in preparation for your next training phase.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Don't know if second is hiit... more anaerobic/circuit maybe... anyways my favorite routines... Don't expect to be even remotely good at them unless you are an elite athlete. Also breath through nose only...

Warm up: jog, high knees, jog, heel to butt, jog, side shuffle, jog side shuffle out, jog, 5 minutes total...

20 seconds Burpees 10 seconds rest
20 seconds Body squats 10 seconds rest
20 seconds Burpees 10 seconds rest
20 seconds Forward jumping squats 10 seconds rest
20 seconds push ups 10 seconds rest
20 seconds shadow boxing 10 seconds rest
20 seconds jump rope 10 seconds rest
20 seconds burpees 10 seconds rest

Can substitute with jumping jacks, sprawls, sit ups, tire flipping, sledgehammer tire, focus mitts, and heavy bag.

Other workout is either 1:30 with 30 seconds rest, 2:00 with 30 seconds rest, or 3:00 1:00 minute rest.

30 minute warm up or jump rope for 2 minute rounds and 30 seconds rest for 4 rounds

Round 1 Punch and cut off large slip bag with straight punches only or turn over punches quickly while keeping bag in place alternate from 20 seconds straight to uppercuts.

Round 2 Heavy bag, straight punches only, movement, and head movement or straight power punches alternate with speed every 15 or 20 seconds. You must stay busy.

Round 3 Jab wall, only jabs keep hands up vary between hard punches or turn over hand quickly nonstop. May use heavy bag as substitute.

Round 4 Reflex bag, combinations, movement, slip. Or 6 inch jump box, one foot on one foot off like climbing stairs, very fast... May cause shin splints at first.

Repeat

May substitute with focus mitts, double end bag, or variations on jump box.

Take one round rest and do abs... This is beginner to intermediate level...
Appreciate 0