BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport

Replacing original rotors and pads

It's come time to replace my original pads and rotors. Looking for recommendations on a good/affordable aftermarket set-up. Also considered taking it to BMW but prices are insane.
My 135i is a daily driver with a Stage 1 tune and upgraded exhaust n intake. Ill take it to the track once or twice this summer but that's not my main priority.
Not looking to upgrade to a BBK, just a new set of pads and rotors.
I've done some reading and Cool Carbon pads got great reviews, problem is that getting them here in Toronto, Ontario is not that easy (usually a special order with added cost). I've looked at a STOPTECH setup (street performance pads with slotted rotors) but the reviews have been mixed. Open to suggestions based on your experiences. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Honestly if you're doing dd, the cool carbons are impossible to beat. They're worth ordering from the US and having them shipped to you.
      03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I agree! The extra $$ is worth it. Really need advice on rotors, heard horror stories on the slotted rotors with rush and debris causing more harm then good.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

If you don't care about the look of slotted/drilled. For street and occasional track the best thing really are OEM quality blanks. Brakes aren't something you generally do a lot, it's worth it to spend a few bucks more to get the good stuff. After all the most important thing any car does is stop. And knowing it will stop well and do it repeatedly is the best bang for the buck.
      03-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I'll tell you... when it comes to brake rotors... I would ONLY use BMW original rotors. On my old e39 I have changed the rotors twice now. First ATE and then Bosch. Both just do not hold up to the rigors of Autobahn driving. The ATE's were batter than Bosch ones. But now I have gone to the BMW original rotors and I am very happy. No more warped rotors!! Also... while they look the same... all rotors are not. The BMW rotors were definitely heavier and I suppose better quality steel. I have done front brakes on my e39 now three times and I hope I am done for awhile.

PS: I have the Performance drilled and slotted rotors on my 135i. I like them. They do not really offer any advantage over stock. They just look cool. ECS has a good deal on them right now(or they did). You might also check some of the other dealer vendors on 1Addicts too.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
If you don't care about the look of slotted/drilled. For street and occasional track the best thing really are OEM quality blanks. Brakes aren't something you generally do a lot, it's worth it to spend a few bucks more to get the good stuff. After all the most important thing any car does is stop. And knowing it will stop well and do it repeatedly is the best bang for the buck.
Totally agree! The pricing from BMW if I buy the parts is rather high which is why I'm wondering if I can get something aftermarket with meets or exceeds that quality/performance for a similar cost. I will not comprise brakes quality (getting something cheap) just to save a couple $.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Hey SDS135, just wondering how much your dealer quoted you? I was quoted $1200 for front and rear pad and rotors at Brian Jessel. Its too bad in Canada we don't get free brake maintenance like the states.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb
Hey SDS135, just wondering how much your dealer quoted you? I was quoted $1200 for front and rear pad and rotors at Brian Jessel. Its too bad in Canada we don't get free brake maintenance like the states.
Same $1175 plus tax was the best I found. Endras BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

I did the Stoptech drilled rotors in the front, stock rotors in the back and Cool Carbon pads. I have about 3,500 miles on that setup and I am really happy with it. Also the brake dust is about 1/3 of the stock set-up.

I did it myself but I have done brakes before. On something as important as brakes I would not recommend "giving it a shot". Maybe try to find a good independent BMW shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

You can't go wrong with the OEM drilled&slotted front rotors and dimple&slotted rear rotors for a DD. I have also run EBC USR Series rear rotors and have been very happy. The EBC's seem a bit softer in the wear department but they are completely silent unlike some slotted rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Looking on ECS Tuning (they will ship to Canada, ill have to pay tax but not sure about duty... anyone know?) any concerns going with the BMW cross drilled, slotted performance rotors for the front and just doing the BMW regular rotors on the back. They got a wicked deal on the fronts right now! As for pads maybe just source some Cool Carbons locally.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Im looking to change the rotors and pads up front and just pads in the rear as the front shows pretty good wear but rears look good. Suggestions on front rotor replacement? keep ing stock calipers as OP states... where should i buy?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone have experience with Textar pads? Been doing some research and it looks like they are the OEM pad just not branded BMW. Can anyone confirm this or have any experience with the pads?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I really like my BMW performance rotors. They are pretty much the same as the OEM 135i ones except they're slotted and drilled. The only real downside is that they aren't directional, so one side looks as though it's on backwards when it's really not. Also the rear rotors have faux-drilled dimples. They are great quality, and didn't cost much more than simple OEM replacements would have.

For pads, I LOVE my Ferodo DS2500 pads. I did a lot of research and ended up choosing these over Hawk, Cool Carbon, and EBC. They started screechy as hell for the first hundred miles or so, but now are noise free. Some people have complained of noise but I'm going on 15K miles with these and no problems; I'm convinced they weren't installed correctly for those people. They also have much less brake dust, and the dust itself is a less noticeable pinkish color instead of the regular brown/black. Finally, they don't have that hard initial bite that the stock pads have, and I didn't like it at first, but it honestly grew on me because they just feel very good and are so easy to modulate to exactly how hard you want to brake, so it doesn't even need that hard bite to make them feel confident. They stand up to moderate abuse too. They were a bit more expensive than cool carbons, but I think they're worth it, plus they can double duty for some light tracking/autocrossing. I've heard horror stories of the cool carbons crumbling apart after some abuse (never on the street though). The only downside is that there is no cutout for the brake sensors, so youor your install shop are going to have to mcguyver the sensor onto the pad, or just go without it like I did and string up the sensor without it being attached so you don't have a light on the dash.

That's just my opinion. It's hard to go wrong with any of the options suggested in this thread.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
For pads, I LOVE my Ferodo DS2500 pads. I did a lot of research and ended up choosing these over Hawk, Cool Carbon, and EBC.
+1 on Ferodo DS2500's.

A friend and I who autox together both burned through our stock pads and were looking for a replacement. We independently each chose cool carbons, because of the internet. And they start out great, until you heat them up. Then it feels like you're compressing cardboard into the rotors to try to stop the vehicle. That's not much of an exaggeration, they really are that bad after a tiny bit of heat. He replaced his pads with Ferodo's, loves them over Hawk, OEM, + others he has run in the past. I went back to OEM pads temporarily then went the bbk route with stoptech with their street performance pads and am not looking back. The pads are fantastic for stopping but aren't the quietest (though nowhere near as bad as hawk).

If you're on OEM setup, and liked the performance of the OEM pads, stick with them. There are lots of pad choices out there and only a few are good. Of those you're lucky if you find one that fits your driving style.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
kevin @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Many many customers with cool carbons that love them including ourselves...important to bed them properly which is not difficult and to provide good transfer layer onto rotor surface. If pads are not properly bedded than they can glaze...some holds true with all brands...any product with high popularity will generally have more complaints but we have a considerable customer base of very satisfied customers. always our first and highest recommendation!

They are a street performance pad that can handle light to medium track duty rather than a track oriented pad that may be ok on the street but with expected noise and increased rotor wear possibilities.

Please contact/ pm for further information

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb
BMW Canada does value package brakes $1175 plus tax for pads and rotors, sensors are extra if needed so that quote of $1200 is about right.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

+1 Ferodo 2500's
      03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Is it true that with their ferodo pads you cannot install sensors so ill have the light on all the time?

I've decided ill do the slotted/cross drilled front rotors (genuine BMW), regular rear rotors (genuine BMW).

Should I go cool carbon pads or stoptech street performance pads. I'd have to pay an additional $140 for the CC (price difference for front a d rears). Is it really worth the added investment? Been reading good reviews on the stoptech.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Ferodos don't have the spot for the sensor, but you can join up the wires and tuck them out of the way so you won't get any warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS135 View Post
Is it true that with their ferodo pads you cannot install sensors so ill have the light on all the time?

I've decided ill do the slotted/cross drilled front rotors (genuine BMW), regular rear rotors (genuine BMW).

Should I go cool carbon pads or stoptech street performance pads. I'd have to pay an additional $140 for the CC (price difference for front a d rears). Is it really worth the added investment? Been reading good reviews on the stoptech.
Easy choice---Cool Carbon Street Performance pads- Always our first choice and what we run

Plus $50 off this month at EAS for both front and rears

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...-pads-1-series
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

I bought Cool Carbons looking for an upgraded and more robust pad than OEM, for street and track use. That was a mistake! Im getting less bite on the street, and shudder/vibration on the track when they get too hot. They probably transfer too much heat to my rotors. I never experienced this on the track with stock pads, and will probably go back to them, as Im allergic to noisy race pads in my daily driver... I dont mind dust and I want consistency across the temperature range ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0