Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
The car won't sell in this auction. The auction isn't being promoted.
I noticed that myself. BaT authored several social media posts promoting the Lancia Stratos but not a single one for the S65-swapped 135i.

However, interest was quite strong for the 135i. The page racked up 45,000 views and bidding was very active towards the end. I am not exactly sure the auction needed to be promoted, as most everyone with potential interest was aware the car was for sale and most people, myself included, loved the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I think one of the reasons the auction didn't do well is that it indicated that the vehicle still has a lien of $9K. It seems very odd that someone had all the money to do this build.. and never paid the original note off... either at some time during the build.

The fact that they still have not made an effort to pay the lien so that the title is free and clear prior to the sale is a red flag that there are likely some other issues... (title may be owned by one or more people perhaps, etc)
Bingo. The $9k lien remaining to be paid was a huge red flag among other things such as:
  1. Car was put up for auction around 1,000 miles after the build was, "completed."
  2. It actually wasn't finished. The seller posted a short laundry list supplied by Performance Technic that showed more work to be done.
  3. It woudn't pass smog.

The last one is the clincher. The first bidder with the most interest was local to the seller in the Bay Area. He asked the seller to bring the car out to a local C&C, and the seller suspiciously declined. Beyond this, the description and the seller both repeatedly said the build's intent was a fully smog legal car yet, it's put up for auction with a set of resonators installed as opposed to cats.

People were complaining about the number of smog regulated inquiries in the comments section, but it's a real concern. How can someone spend this kind of money (on a car that's not even paid off) and then not finish the build, all while saying it needs just a few things to be legal?

In the end I find it very disappointing. This was a seriously cool car with excellent build quality, but it's sad that the seller had to put it up for sale before it was finished. The car is build to such a high standard that it absolutely deserves someone who's going to take it across the finish line.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 2
Yeineken1299.00
      12-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #24
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Quote:
The car won't sell in this auction. The auction isn't being promoted.
I noticed that myself. BaT authored several social media posts promoting the Lancia Stratos but not a single one for the S65-swapped 135i.

However, interest was quite strong for the 135i. The page racked up 45,000 views and bidding was very active towards the end. I am not exactly sure the auction needed to be promoted, as most everyone with potential interest was aware the car was for sale and most people, myself included, loved the car.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons the auction didn't do well is that it indicated that the vehicle still has a lien of $9K. It seems very odd that someone had all the money to do this build.. and never paid the original note off... either at some time during the build.

The fact that they still have not made an effort to pay the lien so that the title is free and clear prior to the sale is a red flag that there are likely some other issues... (title may be owned by one or more people perhaps, etc)
Bingo. The $9k lien remaining to be paid was a huge red flag among other things such as:
  1. Car was put up for auction around 1,000 miles after the build was, "completed."
  2. It actually wasn't finished. The seller posted a short laundry list supplied by Performance Technic that showed more work to be done.
  3. It woudn't pass smog.

The last one is the clincher. The first bidder with the most interest was local to the seller in the Bay Area. He asked the seller to bring the car out to a local C&C, and the seller suspiciously declined. Beyond this, the description and the seller both repeatedly said the build's intent was a fully smog legal car yet, it's put up for auction with a set of resonators installed as opposed to cats.

People were complaining about the number of smog regulated inquiries in the comments section, but it's a real concern. How can someone spend this kind of money (on a car that's not even paid off) and then not finish the build, all while saying it needs just a few things to be legal?

In the end I find it very disappointing. This was a seriously cool car with excellent build quality, but it's sad that the seller had to put it up for sale before it was finished. The car is build to such a high standard that it absolutely deserves someone who's going to take it across the finish line.
The post did get a lot of views but it was not promoted on any of the Bmw sites, blogs , mainstream car blogs etc. these things go beyond BAT's responsibility. The views it did get were mostly off people sharing the post because they like the car but you need to go beyond those circles. If you look at the comments page, you can see a lot of people were talking but only a few placed bids. People need to identify that there is a big difference between people who appreciate and people who will buy. Use BAT as a platform to sell but don't rely on it to do all of your marketing.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

3. It woudn't pass smog.

CA smog legal Is definitely a local issue, but a HUGE one for people that live in CA. Trying to make a performance motor run well on 91 octane.. aint easy.

Many states have no smog concerns at all.. so certainly out of state buyers wouldn't be put off by this.. ... but when there is no clear title.. I cannot see anyone from out of state even considering the risk. This situation is like a candle that has been burned at both ends.

the car still has a lien on it on one end... And the intent was to make a CA Legal vehicle and the project wasn't complete on that end either. Even worse.. it sounds like there is an unpaid tab at the repair shop also?

Savvy move by the prospective buyer to request a chance to see the vehicle in person and in public first.

I wonder if the vehicle is actually currently AT the repair shop and has a mechanic's lien against it..

that would explain why it the seller wouldn't be able to bring it to a cars and coffee...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-26-2017 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #26
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

I had some time to read the comments here on what people like and don’t like about the car. To each his own on dct, nav, not a 1M. Parts content- it’s a 1m+. If it were a true 1M chassis you would be crucifying the builder, no questions asked. That car in parts is more than $70k. Add the labor and you are going down a rabbits hole.

Being in the midst of building the same car( even the color-mine is stock that way) its a tough build, not for the faint of heart. This is a purist muscle car build that can perform and is simple. I won’t expand further because Marco said it well.

Financials- your telling me that a $9k lean stopped the auction from coming to fruition? How many of you have bought a used car that still had a lien? Speculation on monies being owed to Performance Technique is speculation brought up to try and trash the owner-childish. Unfortunately BAT was rough place to try and sell this car- it barley got noticed on Jalopnik even. Trust me when a cool car hit there is goes for full asking price.

For the bashers—- chill, pony up the cash, go pay for your GT3 and go drive. DCT haters can’t shift as fast and their mad(coming from 3 pedal guy).
Best of luck to the owner. Good luck with California smog though.

Last edited by gixracer; 12-31-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #27
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

I really liked this car! You all do bring up some good concerns....be interesting to see how things end with the car
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #28
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

3. It woudn't pass smog.

CA smog legal Is definitely a local issue, but a HUGE one for people that live in CA. Trying to make a performance motor run well on 91 octane.. aint easy.

Many states have no smog concerns at all.. so certainly out of state buyers wouldn't be put off by this.. ... but when there is no clear title.. I cannot see anyone from out of state even considering the risk. This situation is like a candle that has been burned at both ends.

the car still has a lien on it on one end... And the intent was to make a CA Legal vehicle and the project wasn't complete on that end either. Even worse.. it sounds like there is an unpaid tab at the repair shop also?

Savvy move by the prospective buyer to request a chance to see the vehicle in person and in public first.

I wonder if the vehicle is actually currently AT the repair shop and has a mechanic's lien against it..

that would explain why it the seller wouldn't be able to bring it to a cars and coffee...
Smog is a concern but not difficult. BARing the car would take a bit of work because it would require cats to be put into the X pipe. Not a huge deal to do, which I agree is something the seller should just handle.

I do not believe there is a mechanic lean.

The Dinan 4.6L runs very well on 91.

I stand by that to sell the car you need to take it further. Finding the right buyer is the key and that would likely be better done privately.

Here we are talking about the car but none of us, including myself, who owns a 4.6L 1M clone, are the right kind of buyers for this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #29
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

Idea

Quote:
Smog is a concern but not difficult. BARing the car would take a bit of work because it would require cats to be put into the X pipe. Not a huge deal to do, which I agree is something the seller should just handle.

I stand by that to sell the car you need to take it further. Finding the right buyer is the key and that would likely be better done privately.

Here we are talking about the car but none of us, including myself, who owns a 4.6L 1M clone, are the right kind of buyers for this car.
Jay Leno. Jay Leno needs this car. Somebody call him and tell him it’s for sale. Anyone got his number?
      01-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #30
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Jay Leno. Jay Leno needs this car. Somebody call him and tell him it’s for sale. Anyone got his number?
IIRC he drove Marco's car on the show, so he's gotten a taste of the poison.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #31
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
I think he is busy hawking car care products :-)
      01-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #32
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'll let him know
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0