BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Initial Z32
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Convertible M-Sport

New member, new E88

Picking this up from a private seller in the next couple of days:

School me on my new 2011 135i, I've done some reading here with regards to the N54 and N55 engines. I would like to make it look more aggressive, any mod suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming purchase. Blackline taillights are pretty cool.
Everything you need to know about them is here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=15

Last edited by Esteban; 09-24-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

First thing I would do is put some gas in the car...

Also I would spend hours searching these forums looking at different things you can do. A lot of people have done a ton of different things to these cars. It depends on what your goals are.

The car is fun out of the box, drive it, love it, and make your goals after you have a feel for the new car!
      09-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Some other common mods are Performance exhaust, Performance power kit, Performance suspension, black grills or black and chrome grills, Performance bumper, Performance side skirts, carbon fiber spoilers, carbon fiber diffusers, and the list goes on and on, etc.
      09-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Some other common mods are Performance exhaust, Performance power kit, Performance suspension, black grills or black and chrome grills, Performance bumper, Performance side skirts, carbon fiber spoilers, carbon fiber diffusers, and the list goes on and on, etc.
+1 on the Performance parts.

Welcome on board.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Looks sharp, congrats!

These cars don't really NEED anything "fixed" out of the box, but I agree that the blackline tail lights would look great on a black car. But you'll never see them, so keep that in mind

I just got mine about 6 weeks ago, and the only "mods" I felt I needed right away (and have done) are clear bra (front 3rd of hood, front bumper and lower lip, front fenders, side mirrors) and tint (recommend 35% smoke/charcoal color ).

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Congrats! I have an E88 as well... Love it!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Welcome from another Cabrio owner. Does that have a black or moonlight top?

My first mod was a Oem CF spoiler which I think really accents the car and I get lots of compliments on.

If you plan on maintaining, get your hands on a jack point puck and the aluminum inserts. They make lifting the car a snap. Grab the oil filter cap wrench while you are at it.

As a nyc driver, let me be the first to tell you that you better get really good at avoiding potholes. The rim/tire size Runflat combo is extremely brittle up front in particular.

Have fun and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
pdisher
privateer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MB E350 - Bluetec

Man!

Your life has changed (for the better) for ever

Such a pretty girl....

2 series be damned!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Welcome to the forums. Did you in fact buy this car?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
Initial Z32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
Welcome from another Cabrio owner. Does that have a black or moonlight top?

My first mod was a Oem CF spoiler which I think really accents the car and I get lots of compliments on.

If you plan on maintaining, get your hands on a jack point puck and the aluminum inserts. They make lifting the car a snap. Grab the oil filter cap wrench while you are at it.

As a nyc driver, let me be the first to tell you that you better get really good at avoiding potholes. The rim/tire size Runflat combo is extremely brittle up front in particular.

Have fun and enjoy!
What's the difference between the two? I saw a thread on here about spots on member's moonlit tops, but there was no info with regards to the black one.

I should have the car over the weekend or early next week (approved for two loans, one through a bank and another through a friend who works at a BMW dealership, still pending the rate from BMW to make final decision). This will be my 4th bimmer, I've owned an E46 cabrio, an E53, and an E39 but I'm more excited about this one than any of my previous cars.

Mod list so far is:
CF kidney grills with ////M stripe decals
Blackline rear tail lights
CF trunk spoiler
Plasti-dip the wheels black and see if I like it
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

The black roof is flat black, the moonlight is a grey/black denim color with a sheen to it. I like the way it compliments my space grey metallic. ML tends to show folding marks which is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Initial Z32
Rep

Car is getting dropped off today or tomorrow at the dealership, once it goes through the shop and gets re-certified I can go pick it up!! Hopefully the vanos recall I saw on the bmw registry doesn't cause a delay. :/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Z32 View Post
Car is getting dropped off today or tomorrow at the dealership, once it goes through the shop and gets re-certified I can go pick it up!! Hopefully the vanos recall I saw on the bmw registry doesn't cause a delay. :/
They may have changed the name but I don't see "comfort access" on your option list. Do you have to insert your key? If the answer is yes, you may want to do some coding. My wife and I both have e88s. She has comfort access, I do not. The only thing I really wanted from that package was the ability to put the top down before getting in the car. Fortunately you can code this and I have. It's cool to push the door open button while walking up to your car and have the top go down.

I like the BMW mud flaps but not everybody does. I also like the BMW umbrella my daughter gave me. It comes with a storage piece that you screw to the carpet in the passengers footwell area. Makes it convenient but you loose no usable space. I keep a tool roll in the trunk under the floor in the tray and I keep a Viair 70p compressor with the battery clip accessor socket and a tire plugging kit in the trunk.

Remember that the plastic piece in the top of the trunk must be down for the top to open. The wind screen is expensive but worth it. The car is much more comfortable with it when the top is down.
      09-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

How do you check the "BMW Registry"? I'm assuming that will show what recalls (if any) my car has had/needs, etc.?

I have a 2013 CPO 135i. Build date 9/2013.

Thanks!

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
Initial Z32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
They may have changed the name but I don't see "comfort access" on your option list. Do you have to insert your key? If the answer is yes, you may want to do some coding. My wife and I both have e88s. She has comfort access, I do not. The only thing I really wanted from that package was the ability to put the top down before getting in the car. Fortunately you can code this and I have. It's cool to push the door open button while walking up to your car and have the top go down.

I like the BMW mud flaps but not everybody does. I also like the BMW umbrella my daughter gave me. It comes with a storage piece that you screw to the carpet in the passengers footwell area. Makes it convenient but you loose no usable space. I keep a tool roll in the trunk under the floor in the tray and I keep a Viair 70p compressor with the battery clip accessor socket and a tire plugging kit in the trunk.

Remember that the plastic piece in the top of the trunk must be down for the top to open. The wind screen is expensive but worth it. The car is much more comfortable with it when the top is down.

A close childhood friend of mine works at BMW so I'll see if he can get the shop guys to this coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
How do you check the "BMW Registry"? I'm assuming that will show what recalls (if any) my car has had/needs, etc.?

I have a 2013 CPO 135i. Build date 9/2013.

Thanks!
As said before, my friend works at BMW so I gave him the VIN and had him send me everything he could about the car before I contacted the seller. I'm sure you can call a local dealership and have a sales rep do the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
Initial Z32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
The black roof is flat black, the moonlight is a grey/black denim color with a sheen to it. I like the way it compliments my space grey metallic. ML tends to show folding marks which is annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Jim, how would one go about coding a car without CA? I'm not sure if the car has it, picking it up tomorrow and will test. Just for future reference in case it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #19
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think you are asking what you would tell somebody who knows how to code to change to make the top go down with the key fob. That is:

In CAS set KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB to activ; and
In CVM set KOMFORT_BEDIENUNG_E88_C05 to Wert02

I like the windows to go all the way down, not just part way when I do this and for the windows to go all the way up if I hold down the raise button inside a little longer when raising the top Those changes are also in CVM. You set both these things to Wert02

SCHEIBEN_FUNK_E88_C05
SCHEIBEN_TASTER_E88_CO5

Finally, I like to have a digital speedometer option where you can get mpg readouts on the dash. And I like it to read true mph, not the optimistic value the regular speedometer displays. Those changes are in CAS and both are set to Activ, they are:

BC_DIGITAL_V
BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR

All these changes should take less than 30 minutes. They can make all the changes in each module at once. Like most things, it is easy when you know how. I haven't done it in a couple years so I would be slow.
      09-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Welcome! I see youre in NYC? We have a pretty active local group so feel free to get in touch if you want to join up in the future!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #21
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Z32 View Post
A close childhood friend of mine works at BMW so I'll see if he can get the shop guys to this coding.

As said before, my friend works at BMW so I gave him the VIN and had him send me everything he could about the car before I contacted the seller. I'm sure you can call a local dealership and have a sales rep do the same.
I've found this to be useful:
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #22
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
Ohh god. IT KNOWS EVERYTHING!