11-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #45
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I can't help but feel a little funny about the turn the thread has taken. Just thinking about my own neurosis worrying about my 1M...bottles of wine, to daily drive or not to daily drive. I think the important thing is that we chose something that was special to us in 2011 when the M3 snobs were saying our car wasn't not a real M car and the 135i snobs were saying we were idiots for spending $6k more for an M badge when all they had to do was get a tune to be faster. Some of us were adamant we didn't want nav and power seats and the salesmen were telling us we were idiots because a BMW should be loaded. Yet we wanted something different than what conventional wisdom dictated. We bought it because we loved it and now we have been rewarded for being different. In some respect we all share that here and we are lucky for it. Yes it does have its burdens and stresses but let's enjoy our problems with high values....it could be worse.

So here is a toast to all the pyrats out there. Let's enjoy the spoils!

I am with you all my brothers .... just need to figure out how to age my fine wines in the 1M somehow Loving the analogies here ..... what I do know is that the 1M is getting better with age like some of my favorite reds that I put in the corners of my wine room just begging to come out and play Cheers to us all!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #46
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Somewhat tangential to this discussion, in the two+ years I have owned my 1M, it has been noticed only a couple of times by random people, none of whom had any idea what it was. I think the somewhat outrageous VO color was a large part of why these people came up to me (once at a gas station and once in a parking lot). BMW has been recycling this color (or very similar ones) on unremarkable cars lately, which will diminish the color-based interest in the future.

A couple of days ago someone admired my 135i Coupe, and wanted to know how powerful it was (~320HP with the PPK flash).

Last year someone followed me into a Trader Joes to compliment me and ask about my 2000 Z3M Coupe; he's the only person (other than a laughable experience with my Golf R) to ever approach me about a car who knew what the car actually was.

Very frequently, too frequently, when I drive my 2003 Porsche 996 TT, it gets noticed, I think probably because of the aftermarket GT2 spoiler that the previous owner installed on it. This has started to make me cautious about where and when I park it.

Bottom line, other than for the body color, hardly anyone out there has a clue what these cars are when they see them, only the owners and wannabe owners. That can be both a plus and a minus to collectability. Those looking for status should probably buy something else. Those looking for discretion might be attracted to it, especially if they get one in the white or black colors.
Champignon, I am in south Florida (North Miami Beach) where the excess of "luxury" sports cars is unbelievable. My experience is the opposite of yours in that when I drive the 1M - yes, it's VO - I always get comments, looks, conversation and people taking pictures of the car. I am also surprised at how knowledgeable the younger "tuners" are about the car. We have an abundance of single turbo 135i conversions that make 500 hp plus but they all give the 1m respect and recognition as a rare model. It goes without saying that unlike the Ferrari and Lambo crowd that most of these young crowd also like seeing three pedals on the floor instead of two ..... ride on!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #47
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
Champignon, I am in south Florida (North Miami Beach) where the excess of "luxury" sports cars is unbelievable. My experience is the opposite of yours in that when I drive the 1M - yes, it's VO - I always get comments, looks, conversation and people taking pictures of the car. ..... ride on!
You need a pair of these to go with your VO:

https://www.bradorshop.it/prodotto/sandalo-da-uomo-clown-orange/#iLightbox[product-gallery]/0
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #48
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
Champignon, I am in south Florida (North Miami Beach) where the excess of "luxury" sports cars is unbelievable. My experience is the opposite of yours in that when I drive the 1M - yes, it's VO - I always get comments, looks, conversation and people taking pictures of the car. I am also surprised at how knowledgeable the younger "tuners" are about the car. We have an abundance of single turbo 135i conversions that make 500 hp plus but they all give the 1m respect and recognition as a rare model. It goes without saying that unlike the Ferrari and Lambo crowd that most of these young crowd also like seeing three pedals on the floor instead of two ..... ride on!
I have a couple of friends that have visited San Diego and stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a convention. When 1MGator visited I came straight from work and was driving the ZHP. When my friend from Iowa visited I was driving the VO 1M. In order to self park you drive past the main entrance and past the valet area. The car in front of me stopped to drop someone off and as I was stopped behind him the valet approached me. I said, no thanks I was heading toward the parking lot. He says "I know what this is....it's a 1M, you can't park this back there....look I'll park it here for free. So, I got out and he backed in right out front between a Lambo and Bentley.

: ) VO does seem to get a little more attention here in the US. Though in Europe, driving the AW 1M was like being a rock star. People everywhere knew what it was.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      11-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #49
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

My experience in southern florida has been that for those who love but know little about cars, they glance over the 1M. But at times with the right crowd I will get more stares and questions then the guy driving a Ferrari in front of me in west palm / jupiter.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      11-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #50
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
In Japan the fact the car wasn't officially sold by BMW and the resultant rareness (I guess max 30 in whole country) means the people that know the car at all and can further recognize it on sight is nearly zero. However those that do know it really freak out. It's like seeing a unicorn. I get to have some really great conversations.

Oh, and champignon , I respectfully suggest these as the must have shoes for a VO owner. Even I, a lowly AW owner, could not resist. I claim I got them to match the stitching...
http://negroni.jp/collection/idea-corsa/
      11-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #51
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
In Japan the fact the car wasn't officially sold by BMW and the resultant rareness (I guess max 30 in whole country) means the people that know the car at all and can further recognize it on sight is nearly zero. However those that do know it really freak out. It's like seeing a unicorn. I get to have some really great conversations.

Oh, and champignon , I respectfully suggest these as the must have shoes for a VO owner. Even I, a lowly AW owner, could not resist. I claim I got them to match the stitching...
http://negroni.jp/collection/idea-corsa/
Mine are way more comfortable :-)

Plus, you can't find them in the US, and they are basically impossible to find even in Europe unless ordered directly from the factory, which makes them as much a unicorn as the 1M !!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #52
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

I had mine in for a replacement battery/airbag recall and oil change and for the heck of it asked them what they'd give me for a trade in and they said $45,000. I'm in Colorado and it's winter, but that seems kinda low. Sub 15,000 miles car in excellent condition. BSM
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #53
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Meanwhile in Canada...

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the Canadian Black Book trade-in value for 1series M today. This is what dealers around here will normally use as a guideline when they are making their low-ball offer for your trade-in.
Except usually they will offer considerably less than what the CBB says.
Also, this is in Canadian dollars, so deduct 1/3 to get $USD approximation.
I find this hilarious and upsetting at the same time:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #54
dkat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW Z8, 2011 1M, 2020 Por

Below is auction result from Bohams - Belguim sale. Our cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. In this case $68K for a 2KM car.
I'd say prices moving in right direction.

Only 1,950 kilometres from new,2011 BMW 1M Coupé Chassis no. WBSUR91020VS63712
Lot 38
2011 BMW 1M COUPÉ
Chassis no. WBSUR91020VS63712
Sold for €57,500 (US$ 68,131) inc. premium
THE ZOUTE SALE
6 Oct 2017, 18:00 CEST

KNOKKE-HEIST, PLACE ALBERT DE KNOKKE LE ZOUTE
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #55
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Below is auction result from Bohams - Belguim sale. Our cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. In this case $68K for a 2KM car.
I'd say prices moving in right direction.

Only 1,950 kilometres from new,2011 BMW 1M Coupé Chassis no. WBSUR91020VS63712
Lot 38
2011 BMW 1M COUPÉ
Chassis no. WBSUR91020VS63712
Sold for €57,500 (US$ 68,131) inc. premium
THE ZOUTE SALE
6 Oct 2017, 18:00 CEST

KNOKKE-HEIST, PLACE ALBERT DE KNOKKE LE ZOUTE
Full Disclosure: I'm not overly concerned about what my 1M is worth.

This is actual hard information, very little of which is really available. Most of what one hears is conjecture and asking prices. Actual selling prices are generally not published or available, except possibly from some professional auctions.

There are a lot of 1Ms that purport to be for sale, but that do not sell, and generally I think those cars are being listed for advertising value by dealers who often are on the shady side.

These cars are sufficiently rare, at least in N. America, that every sale is essentially a one-off, local, sale. I think it would be difficult to come up with a price for a given car that was accurate even to within $5,000.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #56
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
What champignon said.

As to asiflicious: I was almost exactly in your position 20 years ago. The one that got away was the buick grand national GNX. Now I own a 1M. Some similarities in the two. Now those cars go for over a 100k which I can't seem to bring myself to get a grand national for that price. My point is that in 20 years there will be another special version of a great car that you too will have and enjoy.

I don't know how many 1Ms there are left in the US. Very doubtful it is down to 400.
I hope to car gods you are right because I'm in the same spot. Want a 1m so bad but can't spend that much on a car right now and they are only going up.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #57
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M white

Bought mine two weeks ago for 42.5 with 57k miles. No stories, no accident, excellent condition in and out.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #58
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle01 View Post
Bought mine two weeks ago for 42.5 with 57k miles. No stories, no accident, excellent condition in and out.
I think that is certainly within the ballpark, given the mileage, especially if it was a private party sale. A dealer might have gotten a few thousand extra.
      12-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #59
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Quote:
Wow! If I'm not mistaken they were advertising at $46,500, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #60
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes initially and dropped it at $45,500. Made an offer and they accepted. The car is in great condition and I would love the opportunity to get in contact with the previous owner but I have no contact. I really like it and replaced my e39 M5 that I am selling now to make the 1M my DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #61
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Quote:
Yes initially and dropped it at $45,500. Made an offer and they accepted. The car is in great condition and I would love the opportunity to get in contact with the previous owner but I have no contact. I really like it and replaced my e39 M5 that I am selling now to make the 1M my DD.
Thanks for the info.

I just bought mine (loaded on the truck 2 hours ago ) with 42k miles for $45k. It's a true stripper model which likely hurts short term value but I think will help long term.

Congrats on your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #62
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I just bought mine (loaded on the truck 2 hours ago ) with 42k miles for $45k. It's a true stripper model which likely hurts short term value but I think will help long term.

I think "stripper" is a "neutral," for either short or long term value. Nav is probably a minor negative for either, also.

15,000 less miles would be worth at least $2500 to me.

Congrats to both of you!
      12-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #63
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I think "stripper" is a "neutral," for either short or long term value. Nav is probably a minor negative for either, also.

15,000 less miles would be worth at least $2500 to me.

Congrats to both of you!
Stripper doesn't hurt the value whatsoever IMHO. You get lower seats a nicer rear bumper and there are plenty of people specifically looking for a stripper. For me it's a positive but as Champignon said. Neutral at least.
2 cents
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #64
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep

Congratulations, I’m sure you will love it. Post pics once you get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #65
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep

Mine is loaded with all the options and people say it hurts the value which I’m not sure how that makes sense. Either way this carsare great performers and I don’t think anybody is caring with what options they come(I certainly didn’t) but just color, miles, conditions and if the price is right. With all the high performance cars that I have owned I definitely see the mid $40k price as a great value for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #66
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine is loaded with all the options and people say it hurts the value which I’m not sure how that makes sense. Either way this carsare great performers and I don’t think anybody is caring with what options they come(I certainly didn’t) but just color, miles, conditions and if the price is right. With all the high performance cars that I have owned I definitely see the mid $40k price as a great value for what you get.
There are so few 1Ms it's a wash like Champignon said. There are some that want loaded and some that want strippers and not enough of either to matter. Just for the OP to know it is a wash. A stripper is not worth less than a loaded car in today's market. They both offer distinct things that people want. The stripper has a more flexible seating position, is lighter, there are less of them and the dash looks better. The loaded cars have memory seats, nav and I drive that some prefer.

Subjectively, with what this car was meant to be, I prefer the lighter, more analog stripper version but that's just me. In the end it is still a 1M!
Appreciate 0