03-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #67
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I rarely use the M button.

On the street when driving normally it's way too exaggerated a feel to me. :

At Autocross it's also the same. Makes the throttle hyper sensitive. I've tried running events switching back and forth and never been able to really discern a difference in my run time. I usually make an error with it on because of the rush of power

At the track I often forget to even turn it on but probably the best environment for me to use it.

On a driving Tour or out in the twisty bits or perhaps on a highway on ramp with the car .. this is the only time I really appreciate it .. the much snappier tip in of the throttle helps with quick overtaking situations.
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      03-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #68
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

At Autocross it's also the same. Makes the throttle hyper sensitive. I've tried running events switching back and forth and never been able to really discern a difference in my run time. I usually make an error with it on because of the rush of power

At the track I often forget to even turn it on but probably the best environment for me to use it.

On a driving Tour or out in the twisty bits or perhaps on a highway on ramp with the car .. this is the only time I really appreciate it .. the much snappier tip in of the throttle helps with quick overtaking situations.
Same here. It's too sensitive especially for performance driving. It's fun for messing around but you get better control without it. While the 1M feels laggy around town it doesn't as much when you're on the boost like auto cross. I don't think I have activated it the last 3 years of 1M ownership.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #69
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Same here. It's too sensitive especially for performance driving. It's fun for messing around but you get better control without it. While the 1M feels laggy around town it doesn't as much when you're on the boost like auto cross. I don't think I have activated it the last 3 years of 1M ownership.
I don't use it very often either. Once in a while I'll press it if I'm on a nice winding road. But I generally prefer the progressive feel of the normal throttle map. Always MDM though!
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      03-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #70
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonsalesman View Post
I don't use it very often either. Once in a while I'll press it if I'm on a nice winding road. But I generally prefer the progressive feel of the normal throttle map. Always MDM though!
Ditto, it's almost undriveable on base traction control. MDM is the best. I wish it was that by default!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #71
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonsalesman View Post
Another update. I'm still on standard tuning and have now gotten use to normal mode (no M sport button) especially since I avoid using it during warmup and commuting around. My theory is that it should ever so slightly prolong the life of the turbos. Well not the turbos, but the wastegate flap and actuators to be specific.
I only use M button where the car is pretty much stable coming onto a straight now on a winding road for example.

I'll check programming of the car once I get tools but it feels like Euro MDM (what my region should be) barely allows any slip at all. It allows healthy amount of longitudinal slip in a straight line but not excessive to keep the car from a forward motion - this is good. However, laterally, there is barely any give if anything.