BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

Best gear selections

I guess this would be difficult to answer but here goes. Is the best gear selection for a DCT with the shift lever in M/S (sport mode) and the Sport button pressed? I understand the M/S makes the revs higher and the Sport button makes shifting smoother and faster. But can they be used together for best combination? I know I will receive a lot on this and look forward to comments.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

"Best" is strictly based on what you're doing with the car, i.e. cruising, tracking, or driving aggressively. Sport mode does the opposite with shifts, it makes them harder, faster, and increases throttle response significantly. I have owned manual cars on and off over the years, so that significantly impacts how I use my automatic transmission (i.e., I prefer manual mode to simple Drive unless sitting in a parking lot traffic jam). Last car and this car were/are DCT's. I much prefer them to most traditional auto's. There really is no answer to your question. You need to try the different combinations for yourself and decide what's right for you. People can give you opinions all day, but, IMHO, they won't help you.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

You can use them independently or together. The owner's manual does a decent job of explaining exactly what characteristics the sport button changes, and what characteristics the gear selector changes.

Just use each one as necessary to do what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocHermit(2) View Post
I guess this would be difficult to answer but here goes. Is the best gear selection for a DCT with the shift lever in M/S (sport mode) and the Sport button pressed? I understand the M/S makes the revs higher and the Sport button makes shifting smoother and faster. But can they be used together for best combination? I know I will receive a lot on this and look forward to comments.
The first thing I do when I get in the car is to engage the sport transmission mode and press the sport button. I found it annoying coming from a 2007 335i. But I got used to doing it every time. I feel like the older cars were always in sport. And now they come gimped and you have to push a button to get the full feel of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

Thanks for the responses. I guess I am looking for the most aggressive mode. And, from what I am reading, that would be Sport button pushed, selecter shift in Sport mode. Or the best would be Sport button pushed and Manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

A little off topic but is there a timer when you hit the paddles in "D" mode? I feel it is never consistent how long it stays in temporary "M" when using the paddles under normal conditions. Sometimes it feels like 5 seconds sometimes up to 15 seconds, don't know if something is wrong with my car or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
elzorro4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocHermit(2) View Post
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am looking for the most aggressive mode. And, from what I am reading, that would be Sport button pushed, selecter shift in Sport mode. Or the best would be Sport button pushed and Manual mode.
I think that manual lets you decide when to change gears, and as the max torque is achieved only until 5rpm I think its best to manual shift when you get to that point... automatic sport shifting will take the rpms past 6k...
Appreciate 0