BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
H8rv
Rep
Drives: 135i (N55)

Failed control unit? dafuq.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before?

I have a 135i (late 2011) which I was running a Cobb V2 on with no issues for 6 months(ish)

About 2 weeks ago I parked up, went off, came back and was presented with an engine that would not start and lights flashing all over the dash. Got it recovered eventually. BMW first said it was failed programming? so they tried to re-install which failed, then they got an updated disc from Germany, that failed twice. now they are saying its a failed control unit which they have ordered in, should be fitted tomorrow.

Now before it was recovered i uninstalled the Cobb , obviously i'm thinking that had something to do with this but I'm at a loss to think what.

When trying to start it was turning over but was firing up. Dunno. I'm in the UK BTW.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Some of them are just bad. I had a DME replaced under warranty that apparently was causing ignition coil problems or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
H8rv
Rep

Well it was the control unit, replaced that with the updated programming and it fired up straight away. Then the BMW 'technician' broke a pipe, which is on back order from germany, won't be ready until Tuesday lol

Bad news is I think the new control unit means I can't run the Cobb again
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8rv View Post
Well it was the control unit, replaced that with the updated programming and it fired up straight away. Then the BMW 'technician' broke a pipe, which is on back order from germany, won't be ready until Tuesday lol

Bad news is I think the new control unit means I can't run the Cobb again
Why do you think that?

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #5
H8rv
Rep

Hello, not posted on here for ages, just following up on this thread.

So everything was fixed, new control unit/DME and new programming. Not bothered with the Cobb since but yesterday I thought i'd give it a go. Kept on saying the ROM was not recognised, so I updated the Cobb with latest firmware and it still said the same thing. I made a ECU dump and sent it to Cobb to see what they can do. I'm starting to think that BMW replaced the DME with the later 2012 version which apparently can not be flashed..... anyway of finding out what control unit is now fitted?
Appreciate 0