BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
BoostedBarrett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 CS

Track Tire setup

I am getting mixed review on whether to go with a square setup, or staggered setup for the track. I was going to order the 1 series fitment Apex wheels to get the largest tires possible, but just wanted to see what track guys thought about going staggered vs Square.

Most likely to run MAX performance Street tire, or street legal race tire.

I have Performance Suspension, Soon to have LSD, and Stage 2 Mhd.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Considering the F8x track crowd is split between maximum effort squared and staggered setups, the latter might be suitable once you have a diff and rear sway and I guess the car will be as eager to switch ends like the F8x is. 9 inch wide front wheels are feasible with a little effort so you should at least do that regardless of what is done for the rear. It's already difficult to find wheels you can rotate on this chassis so that's food for thought
      01-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I currently run a staggered wheel setup with the stock 7.5"F and 8.5"R widths but that's only to stay in the street class for AutoX. Tires are 255/40R17 all around to reduce understeer compared to stock. If I was running more on track then I'd want a square wheel setup for the ability to easily rotate tires. You can do the E9X rear hub conversion which lets you run 10mm lower offset in the rear and get closer to a true square setup.
      01-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Apex1.0
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

If you wanted max grip you would run the largest tire you could on either end and tune the chassis to suit. To run a max grip square setup, you will have to leave some rear tire size on the table. That being said you will give up what? 30 mm of cross section? Its nice to be able to swap tires front to back plus the square setup may aid in your chassis balance setup.

Between the two, I would probably go with the max tire setup, because I only do about 5 track days a year so swapping front to back is not a priority for me. Plus big rear tires look cool on the street. IMO
Appreciate 2