BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Backup Camera Joy

I know some drivers think that a back up camera is unnecessary. After driving my wife's 2018 Subaru on a couple trips, I realized what I had been missing.

After a few hours of research, I settled on the Boscam K7. It is wireless, easy to install, affordable at $129 ($99 on Prime Day), and has logical guidance lines. It arrived yesterday and I installed it today. I could not be happier with the ease of installation, the quality of the product and the clarity of the image.

The simplicity of this set up amazes me. Power for the camera comes from the reverse lights, power for the display comes from the 12V accessory socket. The signal is sent wirelessly from the camera to the screen when shifting into reverse. I simply attached the 5 in LED screen at a convenient location on the dash with 3M Velcro. I only had to drill one small hole through the right license plate light fixture for the camera cable.

Just wanted to share as a solution for anyone who wants to install an aftermarket back up camera, but lacks a factory iDrive screen on which to show the image.

Peace... Mack
Attached Images

So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10525.50
      07-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Qas11
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series e82 125i

To be quite honest that doesnt look bad at all. looks like you got yourself a deal there pal!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Nice one, but having just installed a wired reversing camera you forgot to mention how painful it is to route the wiring from the camera to the reverse light for power.

If you want a neater alternative for the screen, you can get rear view mirrors with screens built in (that's what I'm using).
I have the idrive but no idea how to connect the camera to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
Nice one, but having just installed a wired reversing camera you forgot to mention how painful it is to route the wiring from the camera to the reverse light for power.

If you want a neater alternative for the screen, you can get rear view mirrors with screens built in (that's what I'm using).
I have the idrive but no idea how to connect the camera to it.
Wiring power to the camera wasn't too painful. It was easy, in fact. I found the wiring diagram here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ights/BsuwCZBo, tapped the brown wire (negative) and black/purple wire (positive when reverse gear engaged) and I was in business. This part of the installation took about 35 minutes including the 20 minutes it took to find the wiring diagram.

I considered a system that has the camera built into the rear view mirror. No doubt, it is a great idea, but my car is equipped with the Homelink auto-dimming mirror and I did not want to lose those features or deal with the wiring.

Thanks for your comments!

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
edwardmagichands
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Not sure what was wrong, but when I tapped the power from the light directly, it looked like the power was not clean DC, felt like pulsing. So I added a relay and grabbed the power directly from the battery and everything was OK.

Camera module is integrated into the trunk switch, and I also use rear view mirror monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

I'd get one if it were easy to send to the iDrive screen but those options are expensive and a pain to install.

The car is just not large enough for me to require a screen if it takes a lot of effort.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

That is a really cool mod!
Thanks again for sharing that.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

This looks like a really slick and easy setup, nice!

Though, I'm still waiting for someone to come out with one that can dial my phone via facetime automatically so I don't need to add another screen since my phone is always mounted anyways. Someone do this.

If only I could set up a "Nest"-like door camera that connects to a local network created by my phone, that could work too. Quick notification on the phone that camera is operating, click notification, see video image.

spxxx I'm in Silicon Valley, but don't work in any tech related sector, you know anybody that might want to run with my idea? haha
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Thanks Mack

appreciate your info as I would like to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

Though, I'm still waiting for someone to come out with one that can dial my phone via facetime automatically so I don't need to add another screen since my phone is always mounted anyways. Someone do this.

If only I could set up a "Nest"-like door camera that connects to a local network created by my phone, that could work too. Quick notification on the phone that camera is operating, click notification, see video image.

spxxx I'm in Silicon Valley, but don't work in any tech related sector, you know anybody that might want to run with my idea? haha
Done.

https://www.amazon.com/4UCAM-Backup-.../dp/B00HWB91VY
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      07-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmagichands View Post
Not sure what was wrong, but when I tapped the power from the light directly, it looked like the power was not clean DC, felt like pulsing. So I added a relay and grabbed the power directly from the battery and everything was OK.

Camera module is integrated into the trunk switch, and I also use rear view mirror monitor.
I have the same problem but I just thought my camera/screen was stuffed (eBay cheapie).

I wonder if there is a simpler way to smooth out out without a relay.
I suspect the relay trick works because it's slow to respond to voltage drops. Maybe an online capacitor might help?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 11:53 PM   #12
edwardmagichands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
I have the same problem but I just thought my camera/screen was stuffed (eBay cheapie).

I wonder if there is a simpler way to smooth out out without a relay.
I suspect the relay trick works because it's slow to respond to voltage drops. Maybe an online capacitor might help?
Yeah.. maybe large size capacitor would work. I had extra relay so I went that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

Haha there's this company "Pearl" that made one but it was $500... So insane but it was a clean design. Solar charging and fully wireless with an iOS app.

I bet it'd be easy to design an Android app that connects to one of these backup cams (wired into your reverse lights so it only powers when you're in reverse using an Arduino board) - iOS is a whole different beast when it comes to building custom apps.
      07-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #14
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Haha there's this company "Pearl" that made one but it was $500... So insane but it was a clean design. Solar charging and fully wireless with an iOS app.

I bet it'd be easy to design an Android app that connects to one of these backup cams (wired into your reverse lights so it only powers when you're in reverse using an Arduino board) - iOS is a whole different beast when it comes to building custom apps.
There’s one on Amazon for a $100 that I listed above.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #15
edwardmagichands
Rep

Quote:
Yeah.. maybe large size capacitor would work. I had extra relay so I went that way.
So, I installed the same kind of back up camera on to my R56 Mini Cooper, and it has the same pulsing 12V issue. This time, I just added 4700uF 25V Capacitor and voila! Clean image.
I was thinking of about 1000uF but there was no stock so I just picked 4700uF. 16V would have been good enough but also no stock. Cost = $1.50
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
So, I installed the same kind of back up camera on to my R56 Mini Cooper, and it has the same pulsing 12V issue. This time, I just added 4700uF 25V Capacitor and voila! Clean image.
I was thinking of about 1000uF but there was no stock so I just picked 4700uF. 16V would have been good enough but also no stock. Cost = $1.50
Can you provide me the source for a capacitor like this? And where exactly to you install it? Having a similar issue in one of my other cars after installing backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #17
edwardmagichands
Rep

https://www.amazon.com/Yohii-Aluminu...8260989&sr=8-4

Long lead goes to (+) of the power line, short lead on the (-) mark goes to ground. Simple. something like this: http://www.learningaboutelectronics....-capacitor.php
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #18
Bravo007
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series e82 125i

Backup camera

yes, friends, you all are right I also want to share something with you recently do research about this and write an article about best wireless backup camera reviews they are best is quality and also in performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #19
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptentech View Post
yes, friends, you all are right I also want to share something with you recently do research about this and write an article about best wireless backup camera reviews they are best is quality and also in performance.
Sorry, friend. I cannot decipher the message you are trying to convey.
Appreciate 0