BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #23
printerror
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I've had Borla on a lot of other cars and they sounded nice. There isn't much on YouTube of anything aside from Magnaflow or deletes.

Looking at direct bolt ons, all I see are Magnaflow and this other one called GTHAUS E82 128 EXHAUST SYSTEM.....but that one is $1300 for a setup that bolts to your stock resonator.

Crazy cost, but I wish they had an exhaust clip just to hear what it sounds like!
Yeah $1300 is just insanity for an exhaust. I'd rather buy the muffler, cut out the OEM one, and just weld the sucker in myself. Done in two beers for 1/10th the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #24
Gambeez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport

So I ended up taking my 1er into a local shop over the weekend and did a muffler delete from the resonator back. Everything else still in tact.

Overall, I am extremely happy with it. Not terribly loud or ricey sounding, sounds just right. Will hold me over until I can have a nice V8 in my life.

I'll post a clip this weekend coming up. I do have to take it back to the shop. There is an extremely annoying whistling noise that I get whenever I rev over 4500RPM, so I'm going to have them look over the welds and tips. Hopefully they can figure it out so I can actually redline it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #25
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambeez View Post
So I ended up taking my 1er into a local shop over the weekend and did a muffler delete from the resonator back. Everything else still in tact.

Overall, I am extremely happy with it. Not terribly loud or ricey sounding, sounds just right. Will hold me over until I can have a nice V8 in my life.

I'll post a clip this weekend coming up. I do have to take it back to the shop. There is an extremely annoying whistling noise that I get whenever I rev over 4500RPM, so I'm going to have them look over the welds and tips. Hopefully they can figure it out so I can actually redline it.
Do you have aftermarket intake or have you modified the stock one? Those things can produce the whistle you are hearing. I have a smooth Rev hose, charcoal delete, and a drop-in K&N filter and get the whistle when getting on the car to Red-line.

It's not obnoxious...but it's there.
      05-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #26
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Do you have aftermarket intake or have you modified the stock one? Those things can produce the whistle you are hearing. I have a smooth Rev hose, charcoal delete, and a drop-in K&N filter and get the whistle when getting on the car to Red-line.

It's not obnoxious...but it's there.
Everything on mine is still stock as far as the engine goes. Swapped out the air filter a couple thousand miles ago for a K&N.

I'm taking it back to the shop on Friday to have it looked over. Make sure it isn't a welding issue at all. Which I am assuming is the issue.

Never heard anyone mention any sort of whistling issues that has gotten a muffler delete on their 128i.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
JustiGant
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Has anyone just run the axle back part of the Magnaflow exhaust?
I did it just to be different, sounds pretty good. ^^
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #28
Azzy_c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

I just removed the muffler and the resonator, installed an x pipe and made it a true duel exhaust and I'm completely in love with the sound of my 128i[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

05-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #29
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
I know they are no longer in production, but the BMW Performance Exhaust for the 128i is awesome. There's a nice little burble on overrun. It has great tone when you punch it in a tunnel. It is barely noticeable on the highway. I leave for work at 4:00am, and my neighbors haven't said anything. There is no performance advantage to it that I can feel. I'm glad I got mine when I did! Fitment is perfect. It lines up squarely in the middle of the rear valance cutout.
I totally agree with this. Mine has a BMW PE and thenburbles on the overrun are a nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #30
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
I know they are no longer in production, but the BMW Performance Exhaust for the 128i is awesome. There's a nice little burble on overrun. It has great tone when you punch it in a tunnel. It is barely noticeable on the highway. I leave for work at 4:00am, and my neighbors haven't said anything. There is no performance advantage to it that I can feel. I'm glad I got mine when I did! Fitment is perfect. It lines up squarely in the middle of the rear valance cutout.
My biggest regret is not getting the PE when I had the chance. I keep flipping back and forth between snagging a 135 PE and having an exhaust shop make it fit.

My worry is that for some reason it won’t sound as good, o have drone, or something since it’s technically not for the 128. But from everything I can tell the muffler part is the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #31
xxatticus
1er
Rep
Drives: 128i MSport 6MT - Lemans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy_c View Post
I just removed the muffler and the resonator, installed an x pipe and made it a true duel exhaust and I'm completely in love with the sound of my 128i[IMG][/IMG]
Do you have a video clip?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #32
Azzy_c
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do let me see how I can upload a video
      05-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #33
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Just ordered the 135i Performance Exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #34
xxatticus
1er
Rep
Drives: 128i MSport 6MT - Lemans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Just ordered the 135i Performance Exhaust!
Please also post a video when it's installed!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Man, that's clean work that you had done. I'm really regretting I didn't have something similar done.

I just have a single pipe from the res that connects to dual/y pipe tips. Took it to the exhaust shop and the guy said my exhaust is whistling from the air hitting the y tips too fast and it's splitting it causing the whistle.

Not sure what to do to remedy it, he told me to forward him a different set of tips which he will order and we can refit. So now I'm looking for some dual tips that aren't in the perfect y configuration, but more of an offset y like the stock muffler to see if it will fix the issue.

Also would love to hear the sound of this set up you're running.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #36
Azzy_c
United_States
Rep

Look at IG or FB 965muffler
      05-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #37
Azzy_c
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambeez View Post
Quote:
Man, that's clean work that you had done. I'm really regretting I didn't have something similar done.

I just have a single pipe from the res that connects to dual/y pipe tips. Took it to the exhaust shop and the guy said my exhaust is whistling from the air hitting the y tips too fast and it's splitting it causing the whistle.

Not sure what to do to remedy it, he told me to forward him a different set of tips which he will order and we can refit. So now I'm looking for some dual tips that aren't in the perfect y configuration, but more of an offset y like the stock muffler to see if it will fix the issue.

Also would love to hear the sound of this set up you're running.
Go to IG or FB and look up 954muffler
      05-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #38
Azzy_c
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Look up on IG or FB 954muffler
      05-19-2019, 02:07 AM   #39
jjdajet
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 128i Convertible

I have had a muffler delete for about 6 months. I really liked it and was all smiles in the beginning now I want something a little more refined and aggressive. I think I can find them more deliberate sound if I put a performance muffler. I'm hoping to hear more burbles and pops which I already hear some in the higher RPMs with a muffler delete. Next paragraph I'm hoping to add a muffler I really don't want to spend the money of that 135i performance muffler but I might have to seeing that my only other option would be a universal exhaust muffler like a borla or MagnaFlow.

With the top down it sounds amazing. I could live with my muffler delayed and be happy but I'm also interested in a not too expensive performance muffler something in the $200 range.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #40
tacoma23
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

I’m also a fan of a more refined sound and think the performance exhaust is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:16 AM   #41
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Just had the 135i PE installed. Didn't get much chance to play with it tonight. I'm taking her for a full shakedown in the canyons tomorrow, so I'll give some thoughts on it then.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #42
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Just had the 135i PE installed. Didn't get much chance to play with it tonight. I'm taking her for a full shakedown in the canyons tomorrow, so I'll give some thoughts on it then.
It will take a few days to really sound good. Don't judge it yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #43
kaputt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
It will take a few days to really sound good. Don't judge it yet.
Realized I didn’t come back and update this. A few weeks in now and the exhaust sounds great. It’s the perfect amount of sound without any drone. If you have a 128i and want a good exhaust, snag the 135i PE while you can.

I will note that I’ve had one issue. The exhaust has a small rattle when at idle. I’ve tried getting down under there while it’s running to see what it might be, and I think it’s either a hanger that’s not sitting right or it may be vibrating against the heat shield somehow.

Weirdly, it only does the rattle at a warmed up idle RPM. The cold start, higher idle, doesn’t have any rattle. And if you add just a touch of gas when sitting there it goes away as well. I’m going to be taking it back to the guy who did it soon since he warranties his work for a year.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #44
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Realized I didn’t come back and update this. A few weeks in now and the exhaust sounds great. It’s the perfect amount of sound without any drone. If you have a 128i and want a good exhaust, snag the 135i PE while you can.

I will note that I’ve had one issue. The exhaust has a small rattle when at idle. I’ve tried getting down under there while it’s running to see what it might be, and I think it’s either a hanger that’s not sitting right or it may be vibrating against the heat shield somehow.

Weirdly, it only does the rattle at a warmed up idle RPM. The cold start, higher idle, doesn’t have any rattle. And if you add just a touch of gas when sitting there it goes away as well. I’m going to be taking it back to the guy who did it soon since he warranties his work for a year.
I have no issues at all with mine, but I’m pretty sure the exhaust tips on the 135i exhaust are larger than the 128i. You could be having some rubbing there, especially if you have the two-piece rear bumper. Where did they cut the exhaust to weld it onto the stock pipe?
Appreciate 0