BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Windy5000
New Member
Windy5000's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London Surrey

iTrader: (0)

M3 Control Arms/Bushing Help

Hello,

My automobile a 135i auto will be going in for repair soon, certain parts being replaced are in line with me finally getting M3 parts installed. It's a big investment and i'm a little paranoid on parts. Here's my planned setup, looking for a softer ride and something that will perform well on the track.

- M3 Front Control Arm Replacement Kit
- M3 Rear Control Arm Replacement Kit
- M3 Bushings Kit
- M3 Rear Guide Rod Kit
- H&R Anti Roll Bar Kit
- Birds B1 Sport Suspension System

Thoughts Please!?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
857
Rep
1,589
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: East Texas

iTrader: (0)

M3 front arms give a little added harshness. How much depends on who you ask. But the improvement in handling and feel is well worth it. Rear arms don't degrade ride at all - at least my experience from doing just the guide rods.

With all the items you listed, I'll bet your overall ride will be more accommodating on bad roads and much better handling than the stock setup.
__________________
E82 / Ver Red / Blk Boston L / BMWP Springs w/ Koni Yellows / M front control arms / M rear guide rods / AT / Sport seats & steering wheel + paddles
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
501
Rep
3,414
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Hello,

My automobile a 135i auto will be going in for repair soon, certain parts being replaced are in line with me finally getting M3 parts installed. It's a big investment and i'm a little paranoid on parts. Here's my planned setup, looking for a softer ride and something that will perform well on the track.

- M3 Front Control Arm Replacement Kit
- M3 Rear Control Arm Replacement Kit
- M3 Bushings Kit
- M3 Rear Guide Rod Kit
- H&R Anti Roll Bar Kit
- Birds B1 Sport Suspension System

Thoughts Please!?
I just put the M3 front control arms on my car. The handling is well worth dealing with some added nvh imo
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Windy5000
New Member
Windy5000's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I just put the M3 front control arms on my car. The handling is well worth dealing with some added nvh imo
I'm thinking of picking up the TRW replacement kit, any reason you only did the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
501
Rep
3,414
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I just put the M3 front control arms on my car. The handling is well worth dealing with some added nvh imo
I'm thinking of picking up the TRW replacement kit, any reason you only did the front?
Didn't want to pay for the install on the rear parts
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
857
Rep
1,589
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: East Texas

iTrader: (0)

The M rear arms have marginal benefit -- at least from what I get from this good write-up:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1079383

I did the rear guide rods, subframe inserts and increased the rebound on my Koni yellows at the same time and got noticeable results. B/c I did all at once can't say what created the improvement.
__________________
E82 / Ver Red / Blk Boston L / BMWP Springs w/ Koni Yellows / M front control arms / M rear guide rods / AT / Sport seats & steering wheel + paddles
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2190
Rep
38,623
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
M3 front arms give a little added harshness. How much depends on who you ask. But the improvement in handling and feel is well worth it. Rear arms don't degrade ride at all - at least my experience from doing just the guide rods.

With all the items you listed, I'll bet your overall ride will be more accommodating on bad roads and much better handling than the stock setup.
Definitely do the rear guide rods.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
fast1eddy
Private First Class
fast1eddy's Avatar
Canada
89
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I've done the M control arms front and rear. Both worthwhile in my opioon. The rears help tame the the rear end wiggle these cars have. The front help a lot too but the radius rods (tension arms) add a lot of nvh. I just took mine off and went back to stock. The ride was just too harsh on the shitty roads we have around here. If roads are good where you live then they'll be ok but if ride is important keep your stock just in case. If I ever did a track day i'd put them back on. Other suspension mods I have are M Performance suspension , M3 front sway bar , Whiteline RSFB and Dinan rear shock mounts. Overall the ride is supple but controlled which is exactly what I was after. I'd say your on the right track with your plan.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST