BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
goorackerelite
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Ac Line in the way of valve cover removal?

So I got to the point where I'm pulling the valve cover off and I am being stupefied by a metal ac line in the back left corner; if you're looking at the VC from front of the hood back towards the window cowl.)

There's a tiny little bit of the VC that's getting caught on that Metal AC line and is not allow the VC to come off. Any tips or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Have you unbolted and tied back the positive battery terminal? I know it’s not your exact problem but it gives much more room to angle the cover out
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I have no advice on this as when I did my VC gasket the AC line gave me a ton of issues. I had to wrestle the VC off in a way that could have screwed something up.
All that said perhaps when you have 95k miles like me, it is the worn engine mounts that are sagging a bit keeping the VC closer to the chassis than it should. I had watched a few videos on it and some people fought less with the VC, so that was my guess as to why.
Good luck! assuming you didn't get it done already
      09-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #4
iamroddy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOTM View Post
...perhaps when you have 95k miles like me, it is the worn engine mounts that are sagging a bit keeping the VC closer to the chassis than it should...
That's a good theory, and it gave me an idea for when I do mine. If I run into this issue, I'll un-do the right (from the driver's seat) side motor mount, and jack the engine an inch or two...that should also pivot it a bit left. You guys are scaring me...
Appreciate 0