BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #23
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
One thing I'll add; when I coded the DSC module for my LSD (eDiff disable, brake nannies, etc.), I played with the "understeer" coefficient setting, first setting it to a 135i level (very little effect), and then to the 1M level (very good effect). In DTC mode (one tap of the button) the car now allows a good deal more yaw and a little more wheelspin before stepping-in, and when it does step-in it's a lot smoother than it used to be. It's my goldilocks mode that can be quickly enabled and lets me play with the rear end a bit more when I'm in the rain on my summer tires, or on some really wacky terrain that I know will cause issues. There's a safety net there, and it works well for driving on the street. I also had the wonderful opportunity to see how the car and the computer reacts on a skidpad, so when it does step-out, I'm comfortable with the recovery.

Here's a thread on the coding stuff, and it's where I found the 1M values:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1216642&page=5
Awesome! I didn't know you could do that.

I'm guessing you changed these four values:?

Code:
LENKWINKELKENNLINIE // Steering Angle Characteristic Curve
135i: wert_03
1M:   wert_00

UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0 // Understeer Friction Coefficient 0
135i: wert_04
1M:   wert_00 (base value is wert_01, C04 value is wert_04, others are wert_00, not sure what the true value is)

UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 // Understeer Friction Coefficient 1 2 [DATA<128 ? COEFFICIENT = 2.5 + (DATA/64) : COEFFICIENT = 2.5 + ((DATA/64-256)/64)]
135i: wert_05
1M:   wert_00 (base value is wert_01, C04 value is wert_04, others are wert_00, not sure what the true value is)

UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE // Understeer Threshold
135i: wert_01
1M:   wert_00 (C03 is wert_02, C04 is wert_04, others are wert_00)
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
One thing I'll add; when I coded the DSC module for my LSD (eDiff disable, brake nannies, etc.), I played with the "understeer" coefficient setting, first setting it to a 135i level (very little effect), and then to the 1M level (very good effect). In DTC mode (one tap of the button) the car now allows a good deal more yaw and a little more wheelspin before stepping-in, and when it does step-in it's a lot smoother than it used to be. It's my goldilocks mode that can be quickly enabled and lets me play with the rear end a bit more when I'm in the rain on my summer tires, or on some really wacky terrain that I know will cause issues. There's a safety net there, and it works well for driving on the street. I also had the wonderful opportunity to see how the car and the computer reacts on a skidpad, so when it does step-out, I'm comfortable with the recovery.

Here's a thread on the coding stuff, and it's where I found the 1M values:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...642&page=5
Awesome! I didn't know you could do that.

I'm guessing you changed these four values:?

Code:
LENKWINKELKENNLINIE // Steering Angle Characteristic Curve
135i: wert_03
1M:   wert_00

UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0 // Understeer Friction Coefficient 0
135i: wert_04

UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 // Understeer Friction Coefficient 1 2 [DATA<128 ? COEFFICIENT = 2.5 + (DATA/64) : COEFFICIENT = 2.5 + ((DATA/64-256)/64)]
135i: wert_05

UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE // Understeer Threshold
135i: wert_01
1M:   wert_00 (C03 is wert_02, C04 is wert_04, others are wert_00)
I just changed the Uebeursteerung ones, but yeah.
xQx902.50
      01-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #25
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I will add another example of why I do not turn it completely off. Years ago, before Mustangs had stability control I got one as a rental in Minneapolis. I had appointments downtown and it had snowed overnight. The roads were fine but still had a little snow and frost on them. I was having fun drifting each corner on the way to my first appointment until I drifted a bit too far in the middle of an intersection. It was early and traffic was light but I had to get straightened out quickly when the light changed for people coming the other way.

I can catch oversteer but I don't think public roads with other people using them is the right place to do this. It is hard to tell exactly how much traction you have and if you go a bit far, it can end up worse than it has for me so far.
I agree. You may be able to recover but you might need lots of room to recover and those white and yellow lines on the road don't seem to know that. There may be enough pavement around a turn for you to recover but if there's a car in the further lane it could well be in your recovery room. Also pesky things like pedestrians, lightposts, trees, metal or concrete barriers sometimes tend to get in the way too.

In all but dry summer weather I like leaving it in DTC for a safety net in case something goes wrong but with none of the intrusive throttle backoff that comes with DSC. In slow going in deep snow or up a snowy hill it might be necessary to turn it completely off in order to manage traction.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #26
varoadking
King of Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 128i  [0.00]
On a dry road...whenever I remember...

...I'm old...
Appreciate 0