BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

E92-Lighting 128W LED Angel Eye Review

I'm not much for eloquence, but I thought I should write this to share with everyone. There have been a lot of options that I considered when selecting my upgrade in regards to the angel eyes (corona rings, DRLs, or what you may call them). Let me preface this by saying that while I am not always in the belief that lights, the solution is (brighter=better). That being said, the physics of our lights say that illumination cannot result in the outer lights being as equally bright as the inner rings. At least not without "surgically" disassembling the casing and inserting/retrofitting an new set of lights.

I'm not a big fan of HID's burning discoloration into my options. I love my lights. So I decided to forgo that option, since I plan to keep my 1 for awhile. I tried the halogen alternatives, thinking I could come up with an another solution. Result: NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH. Sorry, everyone. I know some people have coded their headlights to higher voltage, but I'm not comfortable with that. (Call me weird.) Thus I decided LED was the way to go.

I looked at several options. My decision was made by E92 Lighting's 128W claims. The post stated no flickering and extreme brightness ....I liked that. So I pulled the trigger on these 128W bulbs. I wasn't disappointed...but really the difference was customer service.

Derrick responded immediately and with courtesy. I was shocked. After getting mediocre service from most vendors, this was a welcome surprise. That being said, I am placing the pictures below. The drivers were easy to install behind the LED bulbs. They are slim, compact, and can be secured with double sided adhesive tape. (3M or Scotch, both will work). Note: MAKE SURE THESE ARE SECURE. I've heard of many adaptive headlight failures. Derrick also warned me that this was imperative to keeping the headlights functioning. Again, thanks for the heads up and good communication.

Everything else came easy. You can see the difference. I am extremely pleased with the product, but more enchanted by the customer service. This latter reason is a big deal to me. I have worked many jobs and now am in consulting...let me tell you someone that is willing to go the extra mile for your dollar is invaluable. Anyone that has experienced terrible service knows what I'm talking about. In any event, I'll leave the post with this: No; I am not, in any way, affiliated with E92-Lighting, and yes; I am now a more faithful customer because the product is good and the customer service was exemplary. I just wanted to share for anyone that is like me and appreciates being appreciated. Now- pics. Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep

Driver
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep

With LED parking lights/blinkers and headlights on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep

This was about 80% full daylight. It got late when I was able to get them into the car after work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

looks amazing, thanks for the awesome review
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Every even fairly detailed review is worth it. On the finish photo, only full, direct sunlight will show the success or failure of the bulbs.

Keep on keepin on!
      02-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

so leaving that ballast there now issue with ahl?
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Outside rings looks pretty dim...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrilla135 View Post
so leaving that ballast there now issue with ahl?
no issues quite honestly, in fact, there hasnt even been one reported issue with our DTEC ballasts for AHL failure for over three years, we designed it to actually fit perfectly inside the 1 series headlights, we didnt see the need to cut, modify, splice, drilling any OEM parts just for installation, its not right in principle for the end user to do this and completely unnecessary
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Outside rings looks pretty dim...
They, indeed, are dimmer than the inside rings. Physics dictates that they cannot be equivalent in brightness. Light disperses more over distance, even with quality optic materials. I plugged these things in prior to seating them into the housing and...they were very, very bright. The only way to truly achieve what I think we are all aiming for is to rip them apart and install an aftermarket set of coronas. For a set of Morimotos, it's $150 for a full set. This doesn't include install pricing or the danger of headlight damage if you DIY. I've baked, dissembled, and modified lights before and I'm not nearly comfortable enough to risk an AHL failure in a $1,700 set of headlights. I did a lot of research over the 4+ years I've owned this car and this was my comprise. Of course, to each their own. I can say, they match the temperature of the HID low beams very closely and I am satisfied with the result. And obviously, I urge everyone to do the same and draw the conclusion that best suits your desired outcome. Appreciate all and every feedback given, my hopes were to share additional information so that other car enthusiasts that are as anal as I can make the most educated purchase. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0