BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
Capt Donkey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2c 6spd, F80 M3 sold, 1M

Mystery dash noise/rattle

This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! So fun.

That said, I hate rattles. Usually I'm really good at tracking them down but not with this one. I have a relatively loud what I think is a dash rattle coming from the instrument cluster or perhaps the instrument cowling. I suppose it could even be inside the instrument cluster itself. It's intermittent, almost sounds like light knocking with your knuckles on the dash. More pronounced than a typical rattle for sure. Thought it was just a loose instrument cowling as I can could move that part back and forth a bit, making a noise similar (I thought) to what I sometimes experience when the car is moving. The rattle manifests over bumpy roads usually, but it can sometimes by triggered by just pulling out of my parking space with the wheel turned (as a result of chassis flex maybe?).

After doing some research and learning how, I decided to start removing stuff, see if anything seemed out of the ordinary. I popped out the instrument cluster, and removed/replaced the cowling to no effect. Both parts are nice and tight now but still the sound persists, didn't really get any better after my foray. I didn't really see anywhere to place foam or felt tape that seemed like it would help, so no sound deadening was attempted. I think turning up the stereo might be the best answer as I'm really out of ideas but thought I'd ask here anyway. :-)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated-thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
godzilla-1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I have had a rattle ever since the recall on the power supply to the fuse box which is located behind the glovebox, I didn't fancy sending it back in as it will most likely be returned with the issue still there or worse. If anyone else has had this and knows what the fix is please post up. I remember someone on here personally overseeing the recall to make sure it all went back together properly.
Appreciate 0