BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
black ming
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS

CS to 1M

Unfortunately we only have one park at our joint, so when we picked up the M2CS a couple of weeks ago it meant we had to put the 1M out to pasture - parked not too far away, but still not near us, but we don't have to sell the next-of-kin to pay the rental.

Today was the first time to drive the 1M since the M2CS came to join us, and to be honest I was really nervous thinking that i'd go for a drive in it and then want to ditch. The CS is just batshit crazy and comfortable and could land you in gaol quicker than you could spell Koenigsegg backwards.

So I nervously dumped into the 1m fearful of being disappointed. I remembered I actually had to put the key in before I started, batted my eyelids at the real speedo , looked left, looked right, hit the 'm' button - and the next 20 min are lost.

This thing is a lunatic. An amazingly naughty composed machine that constantly wants to go bonkers. Springs and dampers dance to their own tune in the key of 'just get on with it'. The chassis is bullet-proof the steering is magical, the throttle is as naughty as you want to be and when it goes wrong that steering lets you know. Because it's so so so hydraulic and nice.

Now for the in-my-opinion-but-don't-quite-like bit :

The seats are awful still. I am definitely axing them. We wanted to keep the 1M original, but enough is enough. I don't track, but for even street driving my leg muscles do the work bolsters should.

The brakes. Again, I'm not a tracker, but after kicking it in the guts a bit the brakes aren't quite there.

That's it. The thing is a little monster. I can't wait until I can find it a parking spot closer to it's grandson. Who is a lot, lot, lot nicer and less naughty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
nachob2307.00
atl_1M1520.00
Yeineken1297.50
etr201695.00
CarJunkie2615.50
ayao627.50
1'M Blue251.00
seis-speed2426.00
Tornado1M1203.00
      12-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My 1M is not stock, but I hope to post some similar impressions next month, weather permitting.

On the track, I use the seatbelt pretension trick to snug myself into the seat, which helps. Of all the things I've blown cash on for the car, I could never bring myself to do the seats, LOL.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
My 1M is not stock, and I hope to post some similar impressions next month, weather permitting.

On the track, I use the seatbelt pretension trick to snug myself into the seat, which helps. Of all the thinks I've blown cash on for the car, I could never bring myself to do the seats, LOL.
Seats not the best in terms of holding you in but I drove my 1M 1200 miles in Europe on ED and 3000 miles from Ontario Canada east coast to San Diego west coast and they were comfortable for long trips for me. With that said. I find the cloth Seats in our GTI to be outstanding in support and the Alacantara cloth In my 2003 ZHP to be better also than the leather 1 series seats. I always wished that since the 1M was more focused that they would've done something like the ZHP. Laser Cloth and Alcantara. It's softer, grippier, cooler on hot days and warmer non cold days.
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Thanks for sharing.

Any 1M owners that have a CS, I would love to hear your thoughts on both cars?

My dealer has one incoming and I will get a test drive in a couple weeks and I have considered it after not really being interested.

As for the 1M seats. I ordered seats from AMX. I think it will make a big difference for me. I prefer snug/bolstered seats with some grip. The company was recommended by other 1M owners. Unfortunately, not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Any 1M owners that have a CS, I would love to hear your thoughts on both cars?

My dealer has one incoming and I will get a test drive in a couple weeks and I have considered it after not really being interested.

As for the 1M seats. I ordered seats from AMX. I think it will make a big difference for me. I prefer snug/bolstered seats with some grip. The company was recommended by other 1M owners. Unfortunately, not cheap.
Can you share a link to the seats you bought?

My CS is currently 100km of Cabo San Lucas.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You pick your pattern, but I did M-performance seats re-upholstered with orange stitching.

Here is their site, they are in a Poland, but ship to US.

https://amx-performance.com/
Appreciate 3
Tornado1M1203.00
CarJunkie2615.50
Daz116.50
      01-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

I drove The CS. I want to say - I think the CS is great and if you need a new car it is an awesome choice, but back to back The 1M wins for me. I might go more in depth later....I am definitely not a CS hater, but it just made me appreciate how special the 1M is for what I want in a car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
CarJunkie2615.50
mtl8850.00
Tornado1M1203.00
Ky1M24.00
Milas29.50
..Rush..973.50
j23654.50
      01-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I am signing docs for my CS today, expect to take delivery Sunday or Monday.

Keeping the 1M of course, so there are years of comparisons ahead!
Appreciate 3
seis-speed2426.00
Tornado1M1203.00
      01-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am signing docs for my CS today, expect to take delivery Sunday or Monday.

Keeping the 1M of course, so there are years of comparisons ahead!
I have seen your posts, yourself and several other 1M owners were keeping both, I had considered a brand new M2cs. Since you are taking delivery soon, you will see what I mean, they feel different, both are cool, but very different.

Enjoy your new car!

Last edited by seis-speed; 01-14-2021 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      01-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #10
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

The seats are almost the single best bang for the buck, you go from sitting "on" the car to in it and part of it. The best one is camber plates given how cheap they are.

Get the Recaro CS, doesn't have to be the BMW spec ones - mine aren't.

I go to the track once a month, not hardcore, but even then the seats swapped to the CS I feel soo much more connected...but ya the camber plates and KW v3, it is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:

You pick your pattern, but I did M-performance seats re-upholstered with orange stitching.

Here is their site, they are in a Poland, but ship to US.

https://amx-performance.com/
I'm thinking of buying seats locally and then getting the custom skins from AMX. I've work out for this to be the most cost effective way.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      01-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Hydraulic power steering vs electronic. No contest.
Mdawood121.50
      01-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

So what's the verdict?

I'm basically cross-shopping the two cars right now. They are essentially the same price, given how much very low mileage 1M's go for.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
So what's the verdict?

I'm basically cross-shopping the two cars right now. They are essentially the same price, given how much very low mileage 1M's go for.
I am not sure how much I can help you. I am still in the break-in with the CS, so I have not really been able to push it. From what I have gathered in 450 miles of street use so far, it seems to be more powerful with better throttle response and handles much better in stock form than the 1M ever did. My 1M is not stock, mainly because there were several handling deficiencies that I felt needed to be corrected for it to be truly enjoyable on track, and I have also turned up the power and made other necessary changes to prevent overheating, etc....

The things I did to improve handling and track capability for the 1M took away from its otherwise excellent touring car comfort, which is what I missed. That was the main impetus for buying the CS as a 3-season daily driver. I would bet that at every track I go to my lap times would be better in the CS, but it will be a while before I consider proving that.

The only thing I would say the 1M is clearly better at is steering feedback through the hydraulic steering. Having said that, the electric power steering in the CS is worlds better than my F15 X5, and I would not consider it to be a deficiency.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #15
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what's the verdict?

I would get the 1M.

Both are good options, IMO. I can not hate on the CS, since it has 3 pedals and a handbrake on offer, but back to back it is shocking how awesome the 1M is **to me**

I am sure some CS owners might discount everything I just posted as it is all subjective.

Good luck!

Last edited by seis-speed; 01-29-2021 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:36 AM   #16
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

My 2018 M2 (basic and with no options) is one of the two cars I drive year round but especially in the winter; the other is a 2018 VW Golf R. Both are manuals and neither has any options (not that VW offered any). The M2 is approaching 3 years of age and I bought it new (as I did with the VW).

When it comes time to ditch or trade in the M2, it will not be for another BMW. I might either simply sell it and not replace it, or if I replace it, I'll get something practical. It's fun to drive but not that much more fun to drive than the VW, which is an order of magnitude more practical, with its hatchback, 4 doors, and much greater carrying capacity in spite of the fact that it is smaller than the M2. In real world driving, the M2 does nothing better than the VW R, even though it is more luxurious.

My most common use scenario for these two cars is to drive them 155 miles, on mostly twisty mountain roads, in between my primary residence in the mountains, to get to my business residence in the big city. I do this 2-3 times a month, round trip, then put additional city mileage on the car while in the big city for several days to a week. When I go on these twice to three times monthly trips, I don't find myself oogling the M2 and wishing that I could use it on the upcoming trip. Rather, I alternate using the cars unless I need cargo capacity, in which case I take the VW. I'd probably be 5% less happy (not 10%) just having the VW and using it all the time. Not a ringing endorsement of my M2 :-)

Granted, I'm not speaking of a CS, although I doubt that the CS is enough better that it would make me think any differently about it. I don't track, so maybe that is worth mentioning.

There isn't a car in the current BMW range that would motivate me to drive 20 minutes to a dealership in order to test drive it. Oh well.

Last edited by champignon; 01-29-2021 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
mtl8850.00
      01-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #17
Daz1
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, 19 Jeep JL, 14 Tacoma

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
So what's the verdict?

If it matters to you one is appreciating the other is not.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:08 AM   #18
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz1 View Post
If it matters to you one is appreciating the other is not.
While probably true, I wouldn't recommend to anyone the purchase of a 1M, if he or she is intending to use it as a primary or DD type vehicle. For one thing, it probably will not appreciate if you continue to add significant miles to it. For another, it is a 10 year old car out of warranty, and 10 year old cars are simply not as reliable as new vehicles.

It's unlikely that BMW, under its current leadership, will ever produce another vehicle that appreciates over time, except by accident. A pretty good example of a BMW that appreciated by accident would be a Z3M Coupe (clownshoe). These cars were ugly and overly expensive in the eyes of purchasers, and as a result did not sell in significant volume. Since they drive well and ultimately became a cult-like product, their value has held relatively well, since they are scarce. The 1M was made in small quantities and was truly a unique vehicle, also producing demand exceeding supply, which has accelerated over time. Both the 1M and the Z3M (coupe) were "parts bin cars." You will never see another parts bin car put out onto the market by BMW.

Today's BMW is not going to produce cars like these (Z3M Coupe & 1M). The company has been taken over by the accounting division. Their current view of making an "exclusive and unique" car is to throw on some carbon fiber bits, snazzier wheels, and maybe some electronic doo dads, while increasing the price by multiples of $10,000. All that this is going to accomplish is to ensure that the F&I guy at the dealership has another couple filet mignons washed down by an expensive bottle of red wine. The car itself will have it's value plummet like a snowball descending into hell, in familiar BMW fashion.

Last edited by champignon; 02-01-2021 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 12:45 AM   #19
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Well that was bleak....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #20
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well that was bleak....
It is bleak, but then there are other car companies. One of the other ones might produce a "hot hatch" that's worth considering buying, or if your budget allows, there could be a Porsche of interest that comes out.

The only sliver of interest coming out of Munich these days is a couple of fast M cars that might do well in track competition. This is the stuff they use to promote their "BMW Performance Centers" on both coasts. If your idea of fun driving is rapid acceleration and hard braking around a bunch of cones set up in an area smaller than your local Costco's parking lot, then there is hope. If you simply want something that's fun to drive, without feeling like you're driving a heavy tank full of electronics, then look for something else.
      02-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Well that was bleak....
It is bleak, but then there are other car companies. One of the other ones might produce a "hot hatch" that's worth considering buying, or if your budget allows, there could be a Porsche of interest that comes out.

The only sliver of interest coming out of Munich these days is a couple of fast M cars that might do well in track competition. This is the stuff they use to promote their "BMW Performance Centers" on both coasts. If your idea of fun driving is rapid acceleration and hard braking around a bunch of cones set up in an area smaller than your local Costco's parking lot, then there is hope. If you simply want something that's fun to drive, without feeling like you're driving a heavy tank full of electronics, then look for something else.
I hear you....hence keeping the 1M forever and just picked up a CS. I may never buy another one. I hope the trend improves.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #22
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Ive had the original oem bmw performance seats in my first 1m and the quality is great.

I purchased the AMX seats and I have to say, I've had a few issues with them. Couldn't code them out, had to by a bypass module, stitching is not great and writing is not straight, the drivers seat squeaks so I need to pull them out and find the cause but I think it's the spring and if I was spending the money again I wouldn't buy them from AMX I would just buy online and have them locally upholstered.

Just get the quality checks done before you buy
Appreciate 0