BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Have a puncture! help?.....

Hey guys,

Well it happened I have a puncture and the tire is leaking air as we speak! I've never dealt with run-flat tires and I have a few questions,

1)it's a long weekend here in Canada and I won't be able to get the car into a shop until Tuesday morning - earliest - Will I need to put my car on a jack, so that the car isn't resting on the rim (therefore damaging the rim) or will the rft keep the car off the ground?

2)Can you patch a RFT or am I going to be forced to buy a new tire?

3)Will anyone carry RFT (besides the dealer - would they even carry them?) or will I have to order them in?

4)since I have road side assistant should I call them, as they will probably tow me back to the dealership and I will be forced to buy or repair my tire at the dealership, or would I be better off getting a tow to a good local tire shop?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Refer to your owner's manual, pg. 68 - indication of a flat tire. It details how fast you should go and how far, dependent on your load.

1 - Not sure about the resting thing, but if they were designed to drive, even without air, then I'm sure you car can rest on it.

2 - If you take it to the tire shop, they would probably tell you yes. Not sure what BMW will say... probably yes too. Patching is just to seal the hole with material... shouldn't affect the overall design/performance of the tire.

3 - May not need RSA because you can drive on RFT, just not fast. If your tire shop is nearby, then it shouldn't be a problem. Probably would go to a tire shop instead of BMW... but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
If you have a slow leak, I would go to nearest gas station and keep the tyre pumped up if you plan to drive about on it. Anyway it shouldn't do it any harm to it by letting it sit flat on the rim, after all the side walls are designed to stand much more stress than that.

The owners manual says to replace the RFT, but there is no reason why you cant repair it provided the position and size of the puncture is ok, and you haven't been driving too far and fast on the flat tyre to cause damage.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

1. you don't need to rest the car on a jack....your car will be fine resting on the flat tire & wheel

2. depending on where the nail or hole is, it might or might not be able to be fixed. usually the stealership will not fix a rft because they are there to rip you off but the real reason is they don't want to be liable for that repair. what if they fix the tire and days later you crash or hurt someone b/c of that repair.....do they really want to be liable for that? also, it's not cost effective to do repairs because most places charge around 10-30 dollars to dismount and patch tires, which the going rate for labor is $75 per hour....

3. the best bet is going to a good tire place, besides the dealership imo, and make sure they have a good mount & balancer. depending on if they patch or plug the leaking tire, if they have to dismount the tire you want to make sure they won't damage the finish of your oem wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
looking
Captain
Rep

Hey guys - Thanks for the quick replies!

I tired going to the gas station to refill the tire - but I could hear the air leaking out as I was trying to fill the tire. Actually, I saw the metal object in my tire and tire to drive home with the object in, thinking that it would be better than pulling it out. Unfortunately, the object fell out on the drive home (before the gas station) and the air is or has leak out.

So will the RFT deflate as it sits in by garage tomorrow or will it stay inflated until I've driven a certain km?

If it deflates, do I need to call a flatbed tow truck, since it's a rear puncture?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
By the sound of it you have a fairly big hole, so it will definitely be completely deflated by tomorrow. But being a RFT you can still drive on it (with the limitations stated in the owners manual).

I would take it to a tyre place to see if it is repairable. If the shop is close by, I wouldn't bother inflating it. If you had a distance to drive I would put air in it to reduce any chance of doing any further damage.

Good luck.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

Thanks, so just to be clear, even though the tire is completely flat I can still drive on it for 80km?

Also, I noticed on my dash there's a triangle with a ! sign in it and it's counting the KM it say 170 right now - what does that mean, does it hav anything to do with keeping track of the kms for the RFT?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
^^^

Thanks, so just to be clear, even though the tire is completely flat I can still drive on it for 80km?

Also, I noticed on my dash there's a triangle with a ! sign in it and it's counting the KM it say 170 right now - what does that mean, does it hav anything to do with keeping track of the kms for the RFT?
Yup you can drive on it completely flat. Still personally I would limit this as much as I can, just in case the tyre can be repaired and saved.

Didn't know about the count down feature....:w00t:

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

I'm going to try not to drive too much on it but, it seems like all the good local tire shops are at least 40km away! maybe I should get a tow?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Fill your tire w/ air and see how long it takes for it to go flat.
If it takes more than an hour,..then you should be fine driving it 40KM to the tire shop.
Def fill it up prior to driving in order to limit the amount of time the tire is being driven in with no air.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

If the nail or object is in the tread, a good tire shop shouldl be able to fix it, depending on the damage. If the object is into the sidewall, then it is not repairable. If they do patch it, have it rebalanced as well, make sure the shop you go to has the capabilites to balance low profile wheels without an ugly lead weight on the rim.

If the tire is repaired, it is somehat compromised, and should not be considered safe for prolonged high speed use. But it should be ok for normal driving and cruising.

Check out tirerack.com - for best prices on a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
looking
Captain
Rep

thanks for the info guys! Just got back from a shop and the tire actually had 2 punctures. They where able to plug it instead of patch it, as the objects were in the middle thread. Patching isn't better than the plugs are they?

The prices for these RFT are RIDICULES (especially if they're only intended to be used until they are punctured - waste of rubber and material) for the price of 1 tire I can honestly purchase 1.5 great conventional performance tire.

RFT = POS
Appreciate 0