BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Reviews

Quote:
The makings of a good off-road variant need to start with a solid platform, and the Toyota Tacoma is an ideal place to begin.

FAST FACTS
Engine: 3.5L V6
Power: 278 HP, 265 lb-ft of torque
Transmission: Six-speed auto or manual
Fuel Economy (MPG): 18 city, 23 hwy (est.)
CAN Fuel Economy (L/100 km): 13.2 city, 10.7 hwy (est.)
US Price: Starts at $41,700
CAN Price: Starts at $50,000

By virtue of its tight dimensions, reputation for reliability and already tall ride height, the Tacoma has become known as one of, if not the best, off-road pickup truck on the market.

For 2017, Toyota is looking to cement that reputation with the TRD Pro package, bringing along a host of changes that prepare this small truck for one particular duty: high-speed off-roading. It was in the wilds of Hawaii that Toyota decided to show off the truck’s capability, an ideal setting for putting this little off-roader to work.

TRD Pro itself is not new, with the first trio of these high-speed desert runners, the Tundra, 4Runner and Tacoma TRD Pro, rolling out in 2015. Of the three, it was clear that the Tacoma was only half-baked, after all, Toyota already knew it had a fresh truck coming, so it didn’t make sense to invest into a product already heading out the door. That’s certainly not the case for the 2017 model, which has quickly leap frogged its brethren as this author’s favorite of the three TRD Pro models.

The cosmetic changes are apparent right away, though not overly significant. There are the heritage-inspired grille and some new badges all around. New LED off-road lights from Rigid Industries have also been added up front and while in the daytime they aren’t very noticeable, the ability to light up the trails at night is a welcome benefit. A new hood scoop also adds to the truck’s badass looks, though it encroaches on visibility a little bit.

Inside, the changes stay minimal with the addition of TRD Pro-branded floor mats, shift knob and seats. New for the 2017 model are leather seats, a welcome change for those who actually get their trucks muddy, as leather is easier to wipe up than cloth.

The cosmetic changes signal that this truck is special, but it’s actually everything that’s going on under the truck that makes it worth noticing. An aluminum skid plate is added to protect the vehicle’s vitals (with a new trick trap door to make oil changes easier), a new set of TRD-tuned coilovers have been added to the front, while the rear still uses leaf springs combined with a new set of 2.5-inch, aluminum-bodied FOX shocks all around.

Thanks to the new front springs, the truck is lifted by one inch, while the approach angle increases to a pretty substantial 36-degrees. The breakover angle also improves to 26 degrees.

The powertrain remains the same, as it does for all TRD Pro models, save for a cat-back exhaust that allows the engine to breathe a littler easier and gives the 3.5-liter a louder bark. Power is rated at 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque, which can be sent through either a six-speed automatic or a six-speed manual.

Yes, you read that right, Toyota still allows you to row your own gears, and, in a truck that is this geared toward having fun, we’re grateful for it. Plus, it’s actually a great manual with short throws and nice notches, a far cry from the pickups of old with gear throws the length of yard sticks.

Along with the powertrain, the truck’s payload rating also remains the same, capable of transporting 1,420 pounds of payload. Tow capacity does suffer slightly, shrinking down to 6,400 pounds from 6,700 pounds.

On the Pavement

Before we talk about the Tacoma TRD Pro’s forte — hitting the mud — it’s important to discuss what it sacrifices in terms of on-road performance. And the answer is, uncharacteristically, not a lot.

Cushy off-road shocks generally lead to massive body roll, understeer and a general feeling of unease when pitching the vehicle through a tight corner with any sort of speed. Toyota has managed to achieve what every automaker is aiming for: good balance.

The TRD Pro certainly leans more than its standard counterparts through corners, but it is controlled so well that there are no uneasy feelings that come along with on-road driving. Front-to-back capitulation is also well controlled, a testament to the FOX shocks and their progressive nature.

Those shocks provide seven compression zones in the rear with each one progressively offering more damping, which is part of the TRD Pro’s bag of tricks to make it handle the way it does. There are also thicker stabilizer bars added to help control that body roll and to increase cornering confidence.

Off-Road Like a Pro

Leaving the road, the suspension becomes most apparent and the Tacoma TRD Pro truly comes to life. As we approached the first few obstacles, I winced in anticipation of a hard hit to the truck. But it never came. This happened again and again for first few minutes until it became absolutely comical. I would wince, the big hit would never come, and then the smile would spread across my face from ear to ear. The Tacoma TRD Pro just swallows bumps, rocks, dips, and dives, leaving the occupants feeling isolated from the rough terrain outside, exactly what a high-speed off-road truck should do.

On a short high-speed dirt track, the TRD Pro demonstrated just how much fun it can be once the traction control is switched off, as the Tacoma has a very intrusive system when left to its own devices. Sliding sideways around every corner, the TRD Pro felt compact and controllable, another virtue of its size. Sliding sideways into a large rut that began to form on the inside of one of the corners would have thrown any standard truck way of course, but the Pro was once again able to slip and side its way through the corner and stay on target.

While its high-speed performance is excellent, low-speed crawling is also in the TRD Pro’s wheelhouse, made easier by the added clearance and the truck’s internal systems, the most noteworthy of which is Crawl Control. It’s a “set it and forget it” system that allows the driver to set a defined slow speed and then forget about the throttle and brakes. The truck will take care of both those aspects, allowing the driver to focus on wheel placement.

And before you try to convince yourself that you’re a master off-roader who doesn’t need such help, keep in mind that Crawl Control can individually brake each wheel, which means that not only is it smarter than you, but the system can simply do things that the driver cannot.

Nothing has been done about the Tacoma’s awkward seating position with the TRD Pro, which is too low to the floor, but that is really where my complaints begin and end with this truck. And in the case of the Pro, it’s enough to be annoying, but it wouldn’t influence my decision to buy one, as the fun factor totally outweighs any small discomfort.

Pricing

If you’re looking to get into a TRD Pro, the cost of entry in the U.S. is $41,700, which will get you a TRD Pro with a six-speed manual. Bumping up to the automatic transmission brings the price to $43,700. There are no options available on the TRD Pro.

North of the border in Canada, the Tacoma TRD Pro will sell for $50,000 with the manual and $53,295 with the auto, making it an expensive proposition, although it is safe to say that no other midsize truck on the market can match the Pro’s off-road chops.

The Verdict: 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Review

The most important part of this truck, despite what I’ve been saying, isn’t the suspension, or the powertrain, or even its rugged good looks. It’s the smile that I can’t strip from my face even thinking about running the TRD Pro over rough terrain. This little truck easily offers some of the most fun you can have with four wheels and a bed.

LOVE IT
Suspension tuning
Exhuast note
Six-speed manual
Crawl Control

LEAVE IT
Seating position
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...trd-pro-review

Quote:
Super fun when the going gets tough, but how does the off-road-ready Taco Supreme perform day to day?

– Detroit, Michigan

Here’s the thing about rugged, off-road vehicles: they aren’t always great to use day to day. Sure, knobby tires and lifted suspensions are great for mudding and rock crawling, but that doesn’t make them ideal for highways and parking lots.

I recently tested the 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro off-road in Hawaii, and didn’t touch a single stretch of paved road the entire time. It’s an outstanding truck, with tons of capability. But how does it fare back at home on the streets of Detroit? Do the off-road upgrades ruin the Taco’s inherent goodness as a midsize pickup truck?

That’s what I set out to answer in this week’s Why Buy video. Follow along as I examine the hardcore Tacoma TRD Pro from the viewpoint of a daily driver.

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to see a new Why Buy every week, not to mention tons of other original Motor1 content.

2017 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD PRO
ENGINE- 3.5-Liter V6
OUTPUT- 270 Horsepower / 265 Pound-Feet
TRANSMISSION- 6-Speed Automatic
FUEL ECONOMY- 18 City / 23 Highway
AS-TESTED PRICE- $44,670
http://www.motor1.com/reviews/131199...d-pro-why-buy/
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
toyota hasn't changed much for the tacoma. alittle more powerful engine, but i suspect that reliability will be excellent.

my winter driver is a 2006 tacoma crewcab, hauls my bikes and is useful for schlepping back and forth from home depot.

but it is alittle anemic for towing a trailer+racecar. if you want a midsize truck but with fullsize towing capabilities, check out the Colorado offering with the cummins diesel.
Its actually changed quite a bit over the years

Its a LOT bigger and they have restricted a great many options to higher trim levels

They've all but eliminated the option of a manual transmission

But they are very reliable......hopefully Toyota has sufficiently addressed their rust issues that resulted in them having to replace a very large number of frames on Tacoma and Tundra's
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo
There is no diesel Taco or Tundra coming. Not sure where you got that info from.
Yea, Toyota has been flirting with the notion of bringing some of the great diesels they offer in other markets to the US for YEARS

Nissan has ponied up and put a big diesel in the titan

We'll see whether that influences Toyota or not going forwards

A small 2-2.5l turbo diesel in a Tacoma could easily match the 6cyl gasser they have and get 30 plus MPG without blinking
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Jacblack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 COMP

Well Nissan and Toyota were suppose to work together and split the Cummins plants. But Nissan decided they could afford it on their own. The taco was gonna get the diesel first and then tundra. But since the deal went sour it got canceled for the tacos MY 17.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
OBXBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017

Ho-hum

Yawn. Have my Ford Raptor coming.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
phoenx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F80 M3, Tacoma, GT4 RS

Next truck for me but the trd off road. Just wish the PRO had a 6 ft bed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Got my eye on the new Chevrolet ZR2. Spool valve suspension on a pickup, considered me intrigued.
Appreciate 1
angelr187.50
      01-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Got my eye on the new Chevrolet ZR2. Spool valve suspension on a pickup, considered me intrigued.
I cant get past the notion of funding government motors....I like the way some of their trucks look but.....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
Jacblack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenx View Post
Next truck for me but the trd off road. Just wish the PRO had a 6 ft bed.
Save the cash get the off road and just buy the trd accessories they are released to public now.
Appreciate 1
phoenx332.50
      01-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
I cant get past the notion of funding government motors....I like the way some of their trucks look but.....
I can look past it to have the best shocks on the planet. Same tech Red Bull Racing was riding on during their 4 straight F1 championships. Actually very surprised at this price point, they can even fit the ZR2 with Multimatic spool valve shocks.
Appreciate 0