BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
E88Deek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Convertible

E82 suspension on e88?

Hey guys. Just wondering if I can put e82 sport suspension on my e88 128 with base suspension. Rear strut part numbers interchange but fronts don't. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Subscribed.

It's really hard to find any information about this; also, it's unclear if any of the spring rates are (or should be) different given we carry around an extra ~400lb compared with the e82.

Everyone I've spoken to has just said it'll bolt straight in - everything for the E82 works in the E88 (except aftermarket roof racks )

I'll tell you in 12 months when I'll have dropped M3 control arms, Dinan strut mounts, dinan camber plates, and a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit under my little vert. (edit ... or not, there's always the possibility I'll learn a very expensive lesson, like I did with the CSF radiator (which doesn't fit in a RHD E88 135i, despite claims that it would).)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

It will all physically fit and bolt up, but the extra weight will mean the rear will be too low.

For coilovers this can be remedied a bit by just raising the spring perch, although you'd really want more spring rate for the extra weight.

For non adjustable suspension I would recommend getting the correct springs as it will never have the correct ride height for a convertible.
      06-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
It will all physically fit and bolt up, but the extra weight will mean the rear will be too low.

For coilovers this can be remedied a bit by just raising the spring perch, although you'd really want more spring rate for the extra weight.

For non adjustable suspension I would recommend getting the correct springs as it will never have the correct ride height for a convertible.
Seems you're right. I'll have to quiz Bilstein before buying their kit.

The Bilstein B12 kit is for E82, but loads of sites list it also for the E88. It's bundled with Ebach Pro Kit springs.

However, if you go to Ebach directly, there are two different part numbers, and two different specs for the Pro Kit for E82 & E88:

Eibach pro kit for E82 lowers by 30-35mm

Eibach pro kit for E88 lowers by 30mm

Reading their German datasheet, it seems the rear springs in the convertible are longer. (300mm not 293mm) ... so don't let anyone tell you they're different part numbers for the same thing!

Now, it's impossible to find any different spring rates for the BMW OEM E82 vs E88 springs; and same with any other spring manufacturer - so I'm assuming it's the same spring rate, just with an extra bit of spring to account for the additional weight.

People who have changed to the E82 springs tend to say 'just expect more drop in the vert due to the extra weight'.

Seems there aren't too many of us with convertibles that upgrade the springs without going for a full coilover setup.

I've spoken to Bilstein, given I've already got the M-sport suspension, running the B8 shocks with stock E88 springs is certainly an option. ... and might be the most sensible one for a daily driver... I have enough problems with my front lip smashing the pavement as it is.

EDIT: It looks like there are two separate B12 pro kits too:

E82 version

E88 version

So I guess that's the answer: Shocks and Coilovers will all be the same (coilovers will have slightly less travel than in the e82). Front springs look the same, but rear springs are different on a E88.

Last edited by xQx; 06-12-2018 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
jjdajet
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 128i Convertible

I see that the link you provided for the Bilstein website of the E88 is actually a for BMW 125i does that make a difference?

Also how do you like your Bilstein's on your car? Is the handling improved a lot? Is the ride harsher?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #6
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdajet View Post
I see that the link you provided for the Bilstein website of the E88 is actually a for BMW 125i does that make a difference?

Also how do you like your Bilstein's on your car? Is the handling improved a lot? Is the ride harsher?
I haven't got the bilsteins on the car yet - they had to wait while I got some turbos repaired.

I have done further research - the eibach pro-kit springs which are bundled with the Bilstein B12 kit doesn't list the e88 135i as a supported vehicle. I haven't yet emailed eibach to confirm if this is intentional, or an oversight, but that's why the B12 kit also doesn't list the 135i.

The Bilstein b8 shocks do list the e88 135i as compatible - they also specifically say they're only compatible with e88 135i's with the m-sport package.
(ie. you can pair the Bilstein b8 with your stock m-sport springs)
Appreciate 0