BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2019, 04:01 AM   #1
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Installing auto LSD into manual 135i?

Came across a cheap quaife diff out of an auto e82 135i and I have heard it is possible to install it in a manual. Does anyone know what is involved? My understanding is the diff housing sizes are different and so are the ratios but I don't mind having a shorter ratio for the track.

Appreciate any advice. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

- The auto diff housing is smaller
- Axles for the auto diff are slightly longer to reach the smaller diff
- For many euro spec (including aus cars) 135is in manual transmission, they have a 3 bolt flex disc instead of an insert nut flanged diff. All autos are insert nut
- The propshaft is a different length to reach the smaller diff even if your old and new diff are insert nut style propshafts
      07-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Welded diff. 3 years now. Love the extreme consistency every time I drive the car.

Cost? Mostly my time.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
- The auto diff housing is smaller
- Axles for the auto diff are slightly longer to reach the smaller diff
- For many euro spec (including aus cars) 135is in manual transmission, they have a 3 bolt flex disc instead of an insert nut flanged diff. All autos are insert nut
- The propshaft is a different length to reach the smaller diff even if your old and new diff are insert nut style propshafts

Thank you! Appreciate the advice, wasn't able to get a clear understanding of what's involved but now I do and it's too hard haha

@The Wind Breezes, do you drive on the road with the welded diff? Did you install a diff bracket? Are they necessary? I am considering it, but had a lot of mixed response when asking tuners etc.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I mostly drive the car on public roads. It's a freaking blast but your driver needs experience.

The only negatives are hopping / chirping during tight, slow turns. But it won't hurt the car on street tires. Tire wear is accelerated but not by as much as you might think--I already had horrible rear tire life from my driving style before.

You certainly do not need a diff bracket, but installing one will help prevent wheelhop, especially in the rain.
Appreciate 0