BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating

I am just sharing my experience with a new wax type product that is getting a lot of advertising on all the car shows I watch.

I recently put the new Mothers CMX SiO2/TiO2 Ceramic coating on all of my vehicles (after trying it first on my DD) and this is amazing stuff. I have been using Meguires products for many years with great success, but the CMX gives great depth to the color and makes water run off better than anything I have ever used in my 40 years of car ownership and care.

Dirt doesn't appear to stick to this stuff and now the clock is running to see if it will give the long life (2+ years) that is advertised.

My wife just drove home from her parents through rain yesterday and the sides of her vehicle looked like they had just been washed where normally you would see dirt residue. The rain seems to wash the dirt off.

For prep I used my Mothers Clay Bar 2.0 first (I don't work for Mothers, I just like the 2.0 better than real clay) to clean the debris and wax from the paint and then washed and waxed one panel at a time until I was done. I did the panel at a time process because I wash outside and didn't want anything to land on the paint before I applied the product.

The CMX goes on easily with just 2 microfiber cloths (one to apply, one to wipe any residue off). It took no time to do my 135i as small as it is and the depth of the shine is incredible. When the car is dusty (I work next to a large construction project) you can take water and just rinse body panels and the dust is just gone.

I hope someone finds my experience useful.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Nice. Prior to this what was your favorite wax? I use the term loosely as not all waxes are wax of course.

I'm a Zaino guy. Goes on easily, comes off easily, lasts a long time. My moment was wondering what some weird pile of white stuff was on the ground under one of my doors in a parking lot. I ended up realizing it was bird poop. But the Zaino was fresh and apparently so good the poop ran right down tot he ground, I could just barely make out a trail I've been sold ever since.

That said I'm always interested in new stuff but wondering what you liked prior, as a reference point?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Nice. Prior to this what was your favorite wax? I use the term loosely as not all waxes are wax of course.

I'm a Zaino guy. Goes on easily, comes off easily, lasts a long time. My moment was wondering what some weird pile of white stuff was on the ground under one of my doors in a parking lot. I ended up realizing it was bird poop. But the Zaino was fresh and apparently so good the poop ran right down tot he ground, I could just barely make out a trail I've been sold ever since.

That said I'm always interested in new stuff but wondering what you liked prior, as a reference point?
I have been a Meguire's fan since the early 90's when I read an article titled "The World According to Meguire's". I am detail oriented and followed it (fine cut cleaner, show car glaze, their best wax at the time...) to remove some swirl marks put on our car by a detailer that was hired to remedy an issue caused at my wife's place of work (paint overspray on our car).

Ultimate was what I was using before I tried this.

I drove in the rain this weekend and there is some surface dirt on my truck. I will see if it will rinse off or not this evening. If it does with no rubbing, I will be very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

We have two cars that live outside. I bought two bottles of the Mothers CMX. I didn't prep the 115k miles S80 like you did. But I also never took it to a car wash where brushes could attack it. Yesterday I did the S80 with 115k miles, and since my 70k mile 128i was in the garage next to it I did that too. I am surprised at how nice it looks. I will add a second layer today while both cars are clean. Next is the other outside car, my daughters 323Ci and then my wife's XC90. My wife's big thing is the windows. If I can keep spots off the glass she doesn't care about the rest of the car being a bit dirty.

While the Mothers goes on easy, the Meguires goes on easier based on a you tube video I saw. It may be worth it for people lazier than me (not many) to use the Meguires. I may pitch the Meguires to a buddy who just bought a new black expedition. He can apply it say three or four times when he washes it and be done with it.

Last edited by Tommm; 07-08-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

@Tenspeed

Thanks for the recommendation! Picked some up today and gave her the treatment. What a difference in colour depth! Pictures don't even do it justice!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Time to apply?

Water spots? Esp on black.
      07-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Reviews on Amazon say this stuff doesn't last. One guy said it was gone in 3 weeks. Comments?
      07-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Reviews on Amazon say this stuff doesn't last. One guy said it was gone in 3 weeks. Comments?
There is a you tube by a detailing shop that compares the Meguires and Mothers ceramic coatings. He has to work pretty hard to get the stuff off so water doesnt bead. Maybe the guy on Amazon put it over a freshly waxed car

I'll report in a few months on how it holds up on my daughter's black 323Ci and if i still have it the silver S80. Those are the two outside all the time cars. My silver 128i is inside with the Cayman and the boss' SUV (which will get a coat in the next few weeks) so that isnt a valid way to test it.

Plus the bottle is a whole $20. I did 2.5 cars and still have over half left. We didnt do below the molding on the 323Ci to see how it repels dirt. I plan on putting a few more layers on the S80 and 128i after i polish the headlights of the three cars and spray the 4X (i think) coating on them.
      07-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Time to apply?

Water spots? Esp on black.
I didn't keep track of the time to apply but I can tell you it was faster than waxing. I only put one coat so far...haven't done any "stacking" for extra depth.

Drove through a rain storm yesterday and was impressed by how fast the water shed from the car. Also, once it was dry it didn't look as dirty as it normally would from driving through a down pour.

Here are some pictures of the rain marks and after washing. You can see that from the wide shot it doesn't look too bad but up close you can definitely see what Mother Nature left behind. Also noted that while washing the wash mitt really seemed to glide over the car. Anyway, time will tell if it lasts any longer than the Meguires ultimate wax I usually use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicDuty View Post
@Tenspeed

Thanks for the recommendation! Picked some up today and gave her the treatment. What a difference in colour depth! Pictures don't even do it justice!!
I agree. The depth of the reflection is amazing.

I put this on my sons 2013 Camry last week to see how it will do under the live oak trees in Charleston, SC. We have to scrub the little black dots of dried tree sap off his car. This will be the real test since he doesn't wash it often because of his work load (4th year medical student).

The mothers clay 2.0 has worked very well on at least 6 cars now (his car twice, but the time before I used regular wax).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicDuty View Post
I didn't keep track of the time to apply but I can tell you it was faster than waxing. I only put one coat so far...haven't done any "stacking" for extra depth.

Drove through a rain storm yesterday and was impressed by how fast the water shed from the car. Also, once it was dry it didn't look as dirty as it normally would from driving through a down pour.

Here are some pictures of the rain marks and after washing. You can see that from the wide shot it doesn't look too bad but up close you can definitely see what Mother Nature left behind. Also noted that while washing the wash mitt really seemed to glide over the car. Anyway, time will tell if it lasts any longer than the Meguires ultimate wax I usually use.
Your car does look great! I am sharing this with all of my friends, especially those with dark colored cars.

On my wife's RX350 I discovered that our mineralized water will leave rings of minerals on the paint when I left a little water standing on it, but they washed right off. I just dry all of my vehicles when I was them at home.

I have since discovered that you do have to rub it because dirt will eventually show if you drive in the rain. It takes minimal effort for it to return to the deep reflection.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
There is a you tube by a detailing shop that compares the Meguires and Mothers ceramic coatings. He has to work pretty hard to get the stuff off so water doesnt bead. Maybe the guy on Amazon put it over a freshly waxed car

I'll report in a few months on how it holds up on my daughter's black 323Ci and if i still have it the silver S80. Those are the two outside all the time cars. My silver 128i is inside with the Cayman and the boss' SUV (which will get a coat in the next few weeks) so that isnt a valid way to test it.

Plus the bottle is a whole $20. I did 2.5 cars and still have over half left. We didnt do below the molding on the 323Ci to see how it repels dirt. I plan on putting a few more layers on the S80 and 128i after i polish the headlights of the three cars and spray the 4X (i think) coating on them.
All of my cars are inside cars. The kids are both outside, which is why the test on my son's car last week will tell the tale for me. I haven't seen my daughters car yet to be able to coat it.

I did some reading on the ceramic products and you evidently have to remove them with an abrasive method.

In my experience, when you use a clay bar 2.0 on a regular waxed car, the water is sheeting and not beading when I am done. I don't even want to think about removing the ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0