BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

SOLVED HELP New owner of 135i, can't register my car sigh!

Hello!

Just purchased 2012 135i from neighboring state (IL).
Currently resides in St. Louis city and they require emission test.

Previous owner installed VRSF charge pipe with VRSF ceramic coated downpipe. I knew it from the beginning because car smelled very catless...

Anyway, fast forward to now I am trying to get this car registered and I found one of "fast pass" places where they basically pass every car regardless of emission ready or not.

Thought everything was good but strangely it kept failing...
They are saying testing system is not communicating with car's computer, and told me that there might be some kind of software "tune" on this car.
(which make sense because it was not throwing any kind of CEL light even with downpipe and absence of o2 sensor)

I tried some method to find out which tune my car have, does not seem to have JB4 tune (pressed volume down and down arrow same time nothing happened) or any kind of piggyback tune at this moment. Maybe MHD flash?

My question is, what can I do to revert this car back to stock computer?
Is this something I can do by myself? Also how can I tell which tune it has?
I really want to register this car so I can get a license plate...

Please help! You guys are my last hope :'(

UPDATE: Problem finally solved! It turns out that previous owner had MHD stage 1 plus tune. It doesn't make sense because car has downpipe and with downpipe you can advance to stage 2 right away. Anyway, purchased MHD app from google store and reverted it back to stock and everything is good now! Never been this happy to see CEL light haha.

Thank you guys for helping me out!

Last edited by DeadlyDrop; 07-13-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

VRSF makes a downpipe fix for $99 that'll probably work. Buy it. Plug it in and pass emissions and then remove it.
      07-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
kyoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

is the downpipe fix really the issue here? the car's already not throwing a CEL, the issue is the emissions shop can't communicate with the ECU - not sure what causes this
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep

agreed, what does it mean that ECU cant communicate sigh
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
is the downpipe fix really the issue here? the car's already not throwing a CEL, the issue is the emissions shop can't communicate with the ECU - not sure what causes this
I'm not an expert on the exact workings of those ECU tunes (assuming his car is on some COBB/MHD tune), but most of them just constantly suppress the "HELP I HAVE NO CAT" readings.

The O2 sensor never goes into the 'ready' state, and that's why they fail despite not showing a code/light. The sensor fix just sends a ready signal to the ECU bypassing the O2 sensor entirely.

EDIT: I realize this might not be the solution you're looking for. Have you called Bradley Motorwerke. I've never used them, but heard they're good guys. They might even have a cat there for you to buy/install.
      07-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
cptgonzo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i sport pkg.

I would try to download MHD and see if you can detect a flash, I believe that MHD effects communication from OBII from the ECM. If you have MHD you will have to flash it back to a stock tune before attempting emissions. Also MHD can view the status of your emission monitors, some states require all but one to be in an incomplete state you'll have to check st louis. I had to install VRSF DP fix as well as flash MHD to stage 0 and turn JB4 off. You also could have a JB4 stage 1, which doesn't have the volume down station down interaction, you'd have to look under the hood to locate:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...g?v=1558654981

it would be on the left under the hood by the firewall. You can look up JB4 Stage 1 install guide to see pictures and where things could be located.
Good luck, it was a pain for me to finally get most of the monitors in a complete state, my cat monitor was still incomplete but I got passed anyways.
      07-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgonzo View Post
I would try to download MHD and see if you can detect a flash, I believe that MHD effects communication from OBII from the ECM. If you have MHD you will have to flash it back to a stock tune before attempting emissions. Also MHD can view the status of your emission monitors, some states require all but one to be in an incomplete state you'll have to check st louis. I had to install VRSF DP fix as well as flash MHD to stage 0 and turn JB4 off. You also could have a JB4 stage 1, which doesn't have the volume down station down interaction, you'd have to look under the hood to locate:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...g?v=1558654981

it would be on the left under the hood by the firewall. You can look up JB4 Stage 1 install guide to see pictures and where things could be located.
Good luck, it was a pain for me to finally get most of the monitors in a complete state, my cat monitor was still incomplete but I got passed anyways.
OKAY,

Did some investigation today.
I am pretty positive that this car has MHD tune, I opened up DME cover and looked for signs of tempering, but wasn't able to find one! It looked completely stock!

So my best guess is, previous owner did MHD tune and left it as is.

What do you guys think? I appreciate all the feedback thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I'm not an expert on the exact workings of those ECU tunes (assuming his car is on some COBB/MHD tune), but most of them just constantly suppress the "HELP I HAVE NO CAT" readings.

The O2 sensor never goes into the 'ready' state, and that's why they fail despite not showing a code/light. The sensor fix just sends a ready signal to the ECU bypassing the O2 sensor entirely.

EDIT: I realize this might not be the solution you're looking for. Have you called Bradley Motorwerke. I've never used them, but heard they're good guys. They might even have a cat there for you to buy/install.
I appreciate your reply and feedback! However, my shady shop did some kind of OBD2 cheating and fooled my cars computer to be in false ready state.

Here is the picture proof of carista before and after when shop manipulated ecu.

So respectively I don't think readiness is problem here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Your fast pass place sucks, the ones here have an emulator where they don't even have to plug into your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Your fast pass place sucks, the ones here have an emulator where they don't even have to plug into your car.
lolol I know at least they are not robbing my cash straight away. I'm just glad I found one in stl metropolitan area.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I wonder if they just rest the readiness, and are messing with you. I'm not sure why it would reset otherwise when they plug into their machine.
Appreciate 0