BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
What to service at 100k under warranty

My 1er hit 97k this morning. Though I am putting far less miles on it now than when I bought it 3 years ago, my extended warranty will be up in the next 3 months or so. I intend to take it to the dealership and have a thorough look to see if anything needs work that could be covered by the warranty before it expires.

My question is: What do I really need them to look for? I have had a few issues in the past (like DCT problems).
I know I will need to goad them (the dealership) on what to look for on several issues. What potential issues will those be?
Thanks ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I'd have them look into Carbon deposits, though they won't likely cover that under a warranty, it's more of a service plan thing. HPFP is a piece of concern, based on my non-thorough research. Water pumps USUALLY (key word) go out between 80k and 100k miles, so that could be a point of interest (they won't replace it unless it actually fails) that will save a ton of hassle if yours hasn't gone out yet (not a question of if, but when). If you're an N55, you may also want to look into the Valvetronic sensor and motor gasket, the sensor goes wonky, and the gasket leaks into the valve cover, and could potentially drown an ignition coil in oil (low chances). Most things show clear warning signs before failing spectacularly (except the water pump, it just says "Sionara, sucker," and jumps ship, leaving you at the side of the road).
      02-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

If your car is a DCT, you have a N55. Carbon build up is a N54 thing, so I wouldn't worry. I'd have the dealership look at thrust arm bushings and such, scan for codes to see if anything is there and address it. Have them look at the oil filter housing gasket as that's pretty common and not cheap. Just tell the service advisor that your warranty expires soon and you want to make sure anything that's even remotely iffy gets replaced. If he has half a brain, he will find work.
Appreciate 2
Gangplank1540.50
      02-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I'd have them check for leaks meaning take off the lower under panels.

OFHG - Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaks

Water pump leaks or showing signs
      02-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Thanks. Water pump and oil pan gasket(?) and 1 coil were replaced between 60k and 70k. My only other problems were the chargepipe and DCT programming. I was originally told I needed other new coils, but the warranty company said they were still good. My plan all along is to go in around now and tell the dealship to find whatever they can under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
My 1er hit 97k this morning. Though I am putting far less miles on it now than when I bought it 3 years ago, my extended warranty will be up in the next 3 months or so. I intend to take it to the dealership and have a thorough look to see if anything needs work that could be covered by the warranty before it expires.

My question is: What do I really need them to look for? I have had a few issues in the past (like DCT problems).
I know I will need to goad them (the dealership) on what to look for on several issues. What potential issues will those be?
Thanks ahead of time.
Never understood this. They will only fix specific problems that the customer complains about. The tech is not allowed to go over the car and fix anything they find.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Never understood this. They will only fix specific problems that the customer complains about. The tech is not allowed to go over the car and fix anything they find.
I don't think we're insinuating that the tech is gonna go and fix whatever he finds, but a smart service advisor/tech will look over the car really well, and see if it needs anything. Then the SA will see what warranty will or will not cover and let the client know.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
If your car is a DCT, you have a N55. Carbon build up is a N54 thing, so I wouldn't worry. I'd have the dealership look at thrust arm bushings and such, scan for codes to see if anything is there and address it. Have them look at the oil filter housing gasket as that's pretty common and not cheap. Just tell the service advisor that your warranty expires soon and you want to make sure anything that's even remotely iffy gets replaced. If he has half a brain, he will find work.
Definitely and n55 thing too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I don't think we're insinuating that the tech is gonna go and fix whatever he finds, but a smart service advisor/tech will look over the car really well, and see if it needs anything. Then the SA will see what warranty will or will not cover and let the client know.
It does not work like that. Good way to get reprimanded by BMW. This is of course unless it is a safety issue like a loose suspension part etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
It does not work like that. Good way to get reprimanded by BMW. This is of course unless it is a safety issue like a loose suspension part etc.
It very much works like that. You have a dealership inspect the vehicle. That's what a proper inspection is. Look over the vehicle closely, make a list of what may or may not be needed. Present to SA to present to client. Have SA figure out what is or isn't warranty and let client know. I should know, I work at a BMW store.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #11
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
do you have the details? Miles? Maintenance? As I said earlier, its really not a N55 thing. Sure, we see it once in a blue moon, but its not a given the way it is in the N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
do you have the details? Miles? Maintenance? As I said earlier, its really not a N55 thing. Sure, we see it once in a blue moon, but its not a given the way it is in the N54.
Nothing more than a 1 owner bmw maintained lease with 39k when I bought it. I don't know what kind of fuel they used but I'm guessing it wasn't the best :
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
No issues here. N52 for the win!

Name:  IMG_1320.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  168.2 KB
      02-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Nothing more than a 1 owner bmw maintained lease with 39k when I bought it. I don't know what kind of fuel they used but I'm guessing it wasn't the best :
I wonder what their driving habits are too. If it's a lot of short trips, I can definitely see this contributing to the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Quote:
It very much works like that. You have a dealership inspect the vehicle. That's what a proper inspection is. Look over the vehicle closely, make a list of what may or may not be needed. Present to SA to present to client. Have SA figure out what is or isn't warranty and let client know. I should know, I work at a BMW store.
I had brought up my concerns about the DCT and OFHG leaks along with the water pump with my SA. He said the techs do a look around the area every time it's in the bay or service. How thorough, I don't know. I've been too lazy lately to crawl under the car to look around. I guess I should do this when it gets warmer.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #16
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post

Attachment 1765311
Yeah, but its slow....
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
unfortunately, leased cars usually only get an oil change a few thousand miles after the light on the dash goes off, and get the cheapest fuel there is, and get beaten like a red headed step child around the clock... because, gotta make the payment as over 90% of our business is leases, very often to people who have no business driving a bmw, and the payment is barely afforded...
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #18
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
I wonder what their driving habits are too. If it's a lot of short trips, I can definitely see this contributing to the problem.
Yes it was registered in Washington DC so I'm sure it was alot of in and out. As gunky as those valves are I'm pretty sure of it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #19
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

So are we ever going to find out the year? You may want to pour some used oil around the OFH and get a free fix...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #20
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, but its slow....
Compared to some things, yes. Compared to a large majority of cars on the road that I need to beat to the next light, no.
      02-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 1765311
Yeah, but its slow....
Compared to some things, yes. Compared to a large majority of cars on the road that I need to beat to the next light, no.
How about compared to a 135i, since that's what you're comparing your clean intake valves to?

Also, better be careful with the stoplight races, you don't want to get in another accident. lol
      02-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #22
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
How about compared to a 135i, since that's what you're comparing your clean intake valves to?

Also, better be careful with the stoplight races, you don't want to get in another accident. lol
I'd lose, but with enough carbon buildup, I might have a chance

I don't race at lights. It's irresponsible and stupid. I only take advantage of the drivers in this area for their total inattentiveness to green lights, and their inability to find the right pedal when they do realize they can finally go

It was their fault