BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #23
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Vince - you're a lifesaver man! If you ever come up to Sydney i owe you a beer.

N55 is supported but it's a bit of a hack to get it to work and yes - it's largely in German.
So i hooked it back up to ISTA, deleted the DME adaptation values and stored versions (I figured this is as close to your suggestion as possible). Didn't work. Part of the procedure is to wait 30s afterwards, which i did but still no bueno.

This is another of those situations where INPA is better than ISTA. I crawled my way through the German menus and then found "gelernte Varienten" amongst the possible adaptations resets. It is the only one with varienten in it. So i clicked it, held my breath and wala.. no more annoying cruise control failure warning punching my nose every time i start the car!

Hopefully this helps someone out there. I did find a few threads with no resolution so we are not the only ones suffering this random issue.
That thats great, good work on working it all out! Glad I was able to point you in the right direction
      06-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #24
bonzo11
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi,
See you managed to get cruise control working. Could you elaborate how you exactly solve the problem as I can see no varienten option in INPA, not sure where to find to be honest?
Basically, I've retrofitted cruise control to X5 E70 and it does not work.
I've added $544 to CAS and FRM and coded (SD_Coderien) all modules, then calibrated steering sensor, but CC is still not working. No error messages on dash althrough.
When connected INPA it shows 6E0F DCC: Fehler in Interface zun Kombi-Instrument --- (DSC: Instrumentenkombination Schnittstelle), ISTA+ says DSC: Instrument cluster, interface.
Cannot think what else needs to be done?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #25
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo11 View Post
Hi,
See you managed to get cruise control working. Could you elaborate how you exactly solve the problem as I can see no varienten option in INPA, not sure where to find to be honest?
Basically, I've retrofitted cruise control to X5 E70 and it does not work.
I've added $544 to CAS and FRM and coded (SD_Coderien) all modules, then calibrated steering sensor, but CC is still not working. No error messages on dash althrough.
When connected INPA it shows 6E0F DCC: Fehler in Interface zun Kombi-Instrument --- (DSC: Instrumentenkombination Schnittstelle), ISTA+ says DSC: Instrument cluster, interface.
Cannot think what else needs to be done?
Thanks.
Have you tried going through these menus in INPA as shown in the previous post?

Quote:
On N54 I think this is done by going into INPA MSD80, status analog/digital -> digital value -> car equipment ->reset
      06-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
bonzo11
Rep

ok, I'll try tonight ... may need to find what exactly this is doing as do not want to mess up the car
I'll keep you posted.
btw, MSD80 file applies to E90 only or to all E series (incl. E70) pls?
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
bonzo11
Rep

forgot to ask ... how to get to into MSD80 pls?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
bonzo11
Rep

ok, found it ... this is in engine group > engine control unit
I am wondering if adaptation reset in engine section would affect cruise control? and most important to not to mess up something else?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
bonzo11
Rep

Hi, I was trying to get N57 engine file working in INPA. DDE73N57.IPO and other files don't work for some reason (D_MOTOR.GRP IFH 0018 INITIALIZATION ERROR), but DDE7KWP.IPO works.
DDE7KWP.IPO has status analog/digital -> digital value but not Car equipment options and no reset ... I am stuck.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #30
bonzo11
Rep

vtl, in your situation you were trying to add dynamic cruise control, but did you have normal cruise control before or no cruise control ?

I want to add it to my e82 mostly to then do some hacking in comma.ai for the active cruise control. (I didn't really like the braking when I had it in my old E90).

No, there was no cruise control ... tbh, with breaking or not any CC would be ok ... any help?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #31
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo11 View Post
vtl, in your situation you were trying to add dynamic cruise control, but did you have normal cruise control before or no cruise control ?

I want to add it to my e82 mostly to then do some hacking in comma.ai for the active cruise control. (I didn't really like the braking when I had it in my old E90).

No, there was no cruise control ... tbh, with breaking or not any CC would be ok ... any help?
My car is a 135i so came with regular cruise control standard, if you want to reset the learned variants and INPA isnt working youll need to browse the various jobs in Tool32, to find it for N57
      07-18-2018, 02:15 AM   #32
bonzo11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
My car is a 135i so came with regular cruise control standard, if you want to reset the learned variants and INPA isnt working youll need to browse the various jobs in Tool32, to find it for N57
Great for directions ... do you know where exactly do I need to look at Tool32 please? Not so familiar with Tool32 so it looks there would be a new learning for me
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #33
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXF00367 View Post
My 135i is 2007/12 N54 MT CCC, so may be near your car spec, and not carrying out special modification.

I do not think that the difference in a function is brought about by the difference in stalk.

stalk which I got is 61319123041 and this is actually common to almost all E8 and E9 series.

The information which I have acquired about cruise control is the following.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...cruise_control

S540A Cruise control
S541A Active cruise control
S544A Dynamic cruise control

Since information is not displayed on kombi, it does not understand in detail, but it seems that my cruise is two steps, 1kph and 10kph.
But the rate control in a curve is not certain.

I do not know why your setup does not return, either.
In search of a 135i owner with other auto-cruise, I am going to acquire information.

I've just installed +5mph stalk. The +5mph functionality doesn't work though.
It's a shame because I really liked +5mph functionality on E90.

I have a normal cruise control $540.
I am guessing 544 is needed for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:19 PM   #34
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I did same thing. Removed $540 and coded $544 to DSC, KOMBI, JBBF (as I thought it is necessary to copy messages from PT-CAN to D-CAN)...

First of all, I am surprise my +/-5mph stalks don't work. Is there any other cruise control option? Or maybe SZL didn't really got coded with DSC.
Maybe I will try to change that SZL_Codierdaten to E9x..
Name:  DSC-SZL ncsdummy.PNG
Views: 3882
Size:  12.0 KB

Before I coded it, I had reverse engineered some of the can messages. Message 0x200 (duplicated on PT-CAN and K-CAN) was used to pass information of cruise control speed set point. This was read for sure used by Kombi for the display. I know, because I injected some speed values on the CAN and they appeared on the display.
After the 544 coding, this can message id disappeared from PT-CAN and K-CAN (powertrain and body). You can observe he messages here - just search for Cruise...

Now the communication must happen in different way, but for some reason KOMBI doesn't know the new way. I will try to find out whether there is different CAN message id used now for the speed set point communication.

Also, I wonder who is master and slave there. I thought it was DME figuring out the speed target and controlling to it (and just reporting target on PT-CAN which then would be translated by JBBF to K-CAN). But know, after seeing DSC coding options, like acceleration values for braking and acceleration, it makes me think that with 544 option it is DSC requesting engine torque and controlling brake.
System overview.pdf
So in option 540, I am pretty sure communication was as follow:
SZL stalks -> F-CAN cruise request -> DSC copy to PT-CAN -> PT-CAN cruise request -> DME speed control -> PT-CAN speed target reporting -> JBE copy to K-CAN -> KOMBI display

Now, in 544 I think DSC controls speed by sending torque request over PT-CAN to the engine. It should send also the speed setpoint for the display.

I will find out.

Do you guys use the latest KOMBI firmware? I have KMBI_PL2.C08 according to nscexpert, but apparently there is also C09.

Last edited by dzid_; 08-03-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #35
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

On an E90 high cluster there is an analog dial that shows the current set speed of the cruise control. I beleive 544 is only used on high clusters with this dial and so the message for the speed display is removed.

I flashed to the latest Kombi firmware as I was not on the latest, in the hope that it would allow the speed display to work, or without having to manually code ACC_AUSSTATTUNG to wert_03 to get $544 to work. No luck unfortunately.
      08-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #36
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had E90. I remember E90 used to use analog needle AND digital speed! The best test would be to check, if E90 still displays digital values with ACC_AUSSTATTUNG=3 (or 2 - behaves the same). I may do it with a friend. If it doesn't do it, that means option 4 is a must.

But why would our KOMBI not work with option 4 if it is the same software. I don't get it. I think it is coding problem. Something maybe ain't clean.

And also I still didn't manage to make +/-5mph stalk work. I think the SZL needs to be coded, but SD_Codieren DSC with "SZL_Codierdaten to E9x" in NCS expert doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe that stupid SZL calibration needs to be done.

BTW, my theory that in the 544 the speed control is done in DSC via torque requests to the DME was spot on. I also feel that 544, because of that, is ever so slightly more jerky.

Here are the new PT-CAN messages that are present with 544 - for whoever is interested:
0xac Wheel torque (DME)
0xb4 Wheel torque (DME)
0xbf Wheel torque request (DSC)
0x193 Dynamic cruise control speed / state (DSC)

0x200 (Regular) Cruise control status - is gone now. And I it was generated by DME
Here is a ride - search for cruise.

And with option 540 I was actually able to control vehicle speed by injecting CAN messages (0x194 from SZL).
With 544, I am doing the same on F-CAN, but DSC doesn't engage Cruise. I think, they have more strick CAN counters check in DSC. I will try more experiments with injecting messages but with actually properly rolling counters to mimic SZL CAN messages better. EDIT: I managed to control speed with injected messages even without mimicking rolling counters. It seems that DSC needed \xFC byte at the end of 0x194 CAN message, whereas DME didn't care about it.

Last edited by dzid_; 08-06-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #37
Mten59
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535d M f11

Quote:
Ah sounds like a real pain!

I have never bothered to revert the dynamic cruise control after my workaround. The cruise control is great and I wouldnt want to go back to stock, which is when I get that error.

I received a pm from Duesentrieb who suggested to reset the Varianten Codierung:

I see you have an N55 which has pretty poor support in INPA (unless its all untranslated)
On N54 I think this is done by going into INPA MSD80, status analog/digital -> digital value -> car equipment ->reset

On N54 it learns the car's equipment (one of them being cruise control). It may have gotten stuffed up somehow and you can try this, but might have to be done via tool32 on N55.

I have tried this fix to get the popup for the current set speed of the cruise control to display on the cluster but no luck I have not tried to revert back to stock to fix the CDAD and A3AF errors. With my workaround I don't get any errors so might be worth coding in dynamic cruise control $544 if you cant get it working on $540

Hello, I have 130i 2008 and I tried to retrofit cruise control but I have "cruise control failure" message and I have CDAD and A3AF ERRORS ! I added $540..
How did you fixed this please ?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #38
bonzo11
Rep

Quote:
I am still out of luck guys ... anyone is having same issue?
I've coded #544 and its visible. SZL module is not visible on the list, I guess from other post that SZL coding is done in DCS?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #39
bonzo11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzid_ View Post
So I did same thing. Removed $540 and coded $544 to DSC, KOMBI, JBBF (as I thought it is necessary to copy messages from PT-CAN to D-CAN)...

First of all, I am surprise my +/-5mph stalks don't work. Is there any other cruise control option? Or maybe SZL didn't really got coded with DSC.
Maybe I will try to change that SZL_Codierdaten to E9x..
Attachment 1873722
Hi,
Did ACC_AUSSTATTUNG changing value made any difference please?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #40
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep

It didn't help.
Even after matching other settings to E90 ones.

It's either that the dynamic cruise control puts cluster in the mode that is not fully supported by smaller display or perhaps it thinks SZL is in error and ignores its stalk request events. I also tried installing E90 (or maybe it was X1) SZL (with +/-5mph stalks) and it was incompatible in so many ways. Blinkers and angle sensor were not working and cluster totally freaked out. So it seems SZL needs to match the car and conversely maybe cluster with 544 option expect certain type of SZL.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #41
Dr777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzid_ View Post
It didn't help.
Even after matching other settings to E90 ones.

It's either that the dynamic cruise control puts cluster in the mode that is not fully supported by smaller display or perhaps it thinks SZL is in error and ignores its stalk request events. I also tried installing E90 (or maybe it was X1) SZL (with +/-5mph stalks) and it was incompatible in so many ways. Blinkers and angle sensor were not working and cluster totally freaked out. So it seems SZL needs to match the car and conversely maybe cluster with 544 option expect certain type of SZL.
were you able to get the +/-5 mph to work? i recently coded the 544 option to my 135i i got everything to work using a e90 cluster (display speed and outer ring) the stock only works in 1 mph increments but not 5 like you were experiencing

EDIT: I got it to work. i used a SZL from a 2008 e90 335i. I used tool32 and ncsexpert to code it and remove errors. everything works (turn signals, wipers and of course cruise control)
with tool32:
loaded dsc_87.prg
double click "lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen

then with ncsexpert run sg_codieren on the DSC and done
now it all works with no errors
kinda weird that the orginal szl with the stock didnt work the boards look exactly the same oh well

Last edited by Dr777; 03-03-2023 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 05:49 PM   #42
AshwinLB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

I just installed an e90 szl, added $544 and removed $540 to VO on cas and frm, default coded cas frm dsc and kombi, changed ACC_AUSSTATTUNG to wert_03 on kombi, recalibrate SZL/DSC with tool32 and finally cleared all codes with INPA.

$544 Dynamic Cruise Control worked successfully, with a half click going up by 1km and full click going up by 10km. Car is also properly applying the brakes to slow down.

BUT my display is not working like previous posters. Some people said that you need to let the car be in sleep mode for a little bit for it to work. Don’t really wanna get a e90 cluster so I’m hoping it fixes itself
Appreciate 0