BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #309
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Love seeing a 1er get driven and used!
      09-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #310
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hope you had time to try the shift bog fix. Amazing even on fbo twins, game changer on singles
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #311
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

It’s been multiple months and another 10,000+ miles of daily duty since my last update. I’ve continued my assault against the odometer, now at nearly 125,000 miles, and as usual, this 1er hasn’t fussed about the abuse one bit. Several oil changes, a fresh set of NGK plugs, and plenty of E60+ fuel is all she’s asked for in return for her loyalty. I’ve also made a habit of getting Blackstone Laboratories to do an analysis every other change, and still getting stellar results with Motul X-Cess and a Mann filter; even when running higher concentrations of ethanol every single fill up.

I finally felt I had the car dialed in properly and had been wanting to see what kind of power I was producing with all the new parts, so when Bimmer Performance Center in Raleigh, NC (about 4 hours away) announced their Fall Dyno Day on a Saturday I had free, I had all intentions of going. Unfortunately, a few days prior to the event, I was at a family member’s house when my 1er was involved in its first impact with another vehicle. I was parked on the street and a neighbor in a raised truck managed to back their truck hitch square in the middle of my M-sport front bumper. Luckily he stopped before wrecking any of the components underneath the bumper cover, but did manage to put a decent sized hole right in the center.

I was obviously disappointed about the damaged front bumper, but there was nothing I’d be able to do before the event and it didn’t have an effect on horsepower, so I still planned on attending. In addition to changing the oil and giving the car a good cleanup, I also wanted to swap out my spark plugs to ensure some clean pulls on their DynoJet. The 95770 NGK plugs were approaching 20,000 miles of use with no misfires to note, and considering that’s the high end of their life expectancy, it was time for 6 new ones. I was pleasantly surprised to see the condition of the old plugs were excellent with hardly any buildup of any kind.

The Delphi coils I switched to when I went single turbo had been performing great, but only 5 of the 6 made it out unscathed during this latest plug change. For the first time in my N54 career, I had a boot seize to the spark plug and come off the bottom of the coil. Using a pick and a set of long needle nosed pliers, I spent at least a half hour removing the rest of the rubber bits stuck in the galley until I could gain access to the plug itself. I’ll be buying one piece rubber coils in the future to avoid this problem with the Delphi.

Unfortunately I did not have another coil on hand and by this time on Friday most every auto store was closed in my area, so I was stuck. I considered getting up very early Saturday, and sourcing a coil locally, but when I awoke to a torrential downpour, I took it as a sign and abandoned the dyno day trip I’d been looking forward to. Fortunately these are pretty easy to source nowadays locally at any Autozone or the like, so I was able to grab one later that day with a lifetime warranty. When reinstalling the new coil, I also used some dielectric grease to avoid future issues. Lesson learned.

Following the coil debacle, I began searching for replacement front bumpers. I’d enjoyed the look of the OEM M-Sport version combined with the durable Ikon front lip, but ultimately wanted to change up the styling to something else given the opportunity. After deciding that I’d like to round out the BMW Performance theme I had going on in the rear on the sides, I made an order for the BMW Performance front bumper through Turner Motorsports with a 2 week advertised lead time. I was okay with the wait to get what I wanted. Fast forward 2 weeks I’m surprised to find the order status as cancelled when checking to see the shipping status. I was unhappy because I wasn’t notified, but after talking with them for a while, it turns out the performance bumper is no longer available with anyone, even directly from Germany. This forced me to go with the 1M style that has built in air ducts. Not the end of the world, but not exactly what I wanted either. Regardless, it should look better than the previous setup and shouldn’t look so out of place given the existing aero mods I already have installed. Plus the aggressiveness of this front end seems to be subdued when painted jet black.

A few years ago, I posted about how I’d come across an OEM BMW Performance rear carbon fiber diffuser on eBay for cheap, and purchased it despite the slight cracks and peeling clear coat.

I had a business contact repair the clear coat to where it was disguised much better than the picture below of how I originally received it, but the underlying crack has always been an eye sore for me.

So now that I was presented with having to get a bumper repainted, I also took the opportunity to repair the diffuser for good. Plus, the carbon fiber always looked a little out of place on my build considering it’s the only CF piece on the entire car. Part of me wanted to keep a bit of the carbon fiber exposed, but I ultimately opted against that and chose the full Jet Black treatment. So, the morning the bumper was set to arrive, I removed the rear diffuser and decided to continue dailying the car despite a missing body component and dented front bumper. It pained me to see her this way, but knew it wouldn’t be much longer before she’d be looking better than ever.

I dropped the diffuser, along with my existing headlight washer covers (I wasn’t sure that the new bumper would include them or not so I wanted to have them painted), off at the body shop and told them to keep me updated once the bumper arrived. Much later in the day, I received a call asking if there were any other headlight washer covers that came with the bumper, as the OEM ones I provided were not fitting. After digging through the included accessories with the bumper, they were able to find the correct ones, but unfortunately they had sent two left hand side covers instead of a right and left. This should have been a huge red flag, but I chalked it up to a simple mistake. Through all my communications with Turner, they were convinced that incorrect accessories had been sent with the correct bumper and let me know it was highly unlikely the incorrect bumper was sent.

The next morning I was able to stop by the paint booth to see what exactly was going on with these headlight washer covers and why they weren’t fitting. As I rounded the corner into the back area, I see a beautifully painted front bumper in jet black sitting on a stand. As I got closer, devastation sat in as I had an epiphany of what had actually happened. The bumper Turner had sent, which had been sourced through ECS Tuning, was nowhere close to the E82 1M style front bumper I’d ordered, or what the packing slip had indicated.

After doing some more research, it turns out I’d been sent an MTech LCI front bumper for E92/E93 cars with PDC and headlight washers. Not even close to my original order and now it was too late to correct their mess up. After contacting Turner, they agreed to send out another front bumper right away to remedy the problem, and would physically verify this time that this was the correct part before it shipped out. You’d think that would be standard, but I suppose not. As for the labor and materials cost associated with painting the bumper, they were not willing to help with any type of compensation with that -- citing that should have been my responsibility to make sure all parts fit prior to paint. Needless to say, I probably won’t be ordering anything else from Turner in the future.

Finally, on the Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving, over a month since the initial collision, I was ready to install the completed front bumper.

On a separate note, over the past 6 months or so, I’d also noticed that my front end had gotten too noisy for my liking. At low speeds on rough roads, I was getting clunks over bumps despite having triple checked every front suspension component was torqued properly. After closer inspection and process of elimination, I finally determined the culprit to be crumbling bump stops and aging front strut mounts. I’d replaced nearly everything else, but these particular suspension components had 125,000 miles of abuse. So since I’d have the 1er up in the air to replace the front bumper, I also wanted to install the fresh Meyle shock mounts, shorter E36 M3 short bump stops, and Febi dust boots at the same time to tighten things up and hopefully provide a quieter ride. It took a while, and was tedious to completely remove the front struts, disassemble, reassemble and reinstall, but it was well warranted and immediately resolved all the clunks and bottoming out of the front struts over big dips.

I didn’t get many pictures of the installation of the ECS branded, Taiwanese made front bumper, but I’d give it a 7 out of 10 overall. Fitment was pretty decent and didn’t take that long to attach, but all the other components were mediocre at best. The air ducts on the passenger side were spot on, but the driver’s side wasn’t and required modification. The windshield wiper covers were cheap plastic and don’t sit completely flush like the OEM version. The tow hook cover just wouldn’t fit and I ended up using the old one off my OEM bumper which popped right in. My enormous FMIC meant that it took some extra massaging to make everything mate up underneath with no gaps. A few extra holes had to be drilled underneath so it could line up with the OEM undertray. When fully buttoned up, however, the finished product was definitely to my liking. Plenty of airflow to important places, a new aggressive front look, and some added clearance due to the lack of a lip. Plus with all the other aero pieces I have, the 1M style front fits right in. But enough talk. Here are some photos of the current look:

I've been running full E85 more and more often lately, and with the near 500 miles a week I put on this car, that means lots of fill ups. It also means a lot more time to take in the view.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 11-26-2018 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 4
axsuu84.00
Matticus913469.50
      11-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #312
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

What a pain.
If I had all those setbacks at once, I probably would've just given up...

Glad you got 'er all buttoned up and back together to your liking.
End result looks sharp!
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #313
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
What a pain.
If I had all those setbacks at once, I probably would've just given up...

Glad you got 'er all buttoned up and back together to your liking.
End result looks sharp!
It was frustrating for sure, and ended up costing me a few extra bucks, but I'm glad it's over and I was able to come out the other side with a better looking 1er. Plus I learned multiple lessons that I won't repeat!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #314
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Sorry to hear about the issues. I would have seriously lit into Turner for that little blunder. Maybe you can still manage to sell that E92 bumper?

I'm also in the situation you're in RE: front strut mounts and decreasing ride height\bottoming. I had ordered the parts to do the job myself from ECS, but the more I think of it, the less I want to spend a good chunk of my xmas vacation wrestling with it in the cold wet garage, so I may farm it out. I'm shamed, but also 60 is creeping up on me...

Thanks for the tip on the E36 M3 bump stops, I'll def pick up a set prior to having it done. I had installed Koni sports within the first couple K of buying the car and I'm at about ~70K right now, so debating whether I should replace them at the same time or not...

Thanks for the post!

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #315
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues. I would have seriously lit into Turner for that little blunder. Maybe you can still manage to sell that E92 bumper?

I'm also in the situation you're in RE: front strut mounts and decreasing ride height\bottoming. I had ordered the parts to do the job myself from ECS, but the more I think of it, the less I want to spend a good chunk of my xmas vacation wrestling with it in the cold wet garage, so I may farm it out. I'm shamed, but also 60 is creeping up on me...

Thanks for the tip on the E36 M3 bump stops, I'll def pick up a set prior to having it done. I had installed Koni sports within the first couple K of buying the car and I'm at about ~70K right now, so debating whether I should replace them at the same time or not...

Thanks for the post!

ianc
As much as I chastised customer support at Turner, it didn't help. They diverted all responsibility to me and my body shop for not verifying fitment despite the body shop not having my car in their possession and the packing slip indicating it was the correct bumper. In order for them to send the actual 1M bumper, I had to agree to return the already painted E92 piece (ironically enough, probably so they could sell it and recover money). I didn't really elaborate in my initial post, but I won't be buying from Turner ever again in the future. I would suggest anyone else ordering body parts to shop elsewhere as well just on principle alone.

It sounds like you were having the exact issues I was. I can't recommend enough to spend an afternoon and do the swap if you're having those symptoms. I had about 50,000 more miles on mine than you have, so addressing mine were mandatory. It's a lot of work for a non-exciting install, but did wonders for drivability. I hadn't even considered bump stops and front strut mounts could have been the culprit for my noisy, uncomfortable ride, but they certainly were. I had done numerous suspension bolt checks because I thought something might be loose and had even considered rolling the fenders because of the rubbing I was getting going over bumps with the wheel turned. After the new bump stops and top mounts, everything is buttery and quiet. No more tire rub, no bottoming out of the shock even on big bumps, and just a more comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #316
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

FYI - Turner Motorsports was bought out by ECS Tuning. Ever since then, it's gone completely downhill.

Also, sharing this because it's relevant: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969...0020475315172/
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #317
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
FYI - Turner Motorsports was bought out by ECS Tuning. Ever since then, it's gone completely downhill.

Also, sharing this because it's relevant: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969...0020475315172/
I knew Turner and ECS had combined, but didn't know it went down like that. I used to order solely through ECS for years, but have slowly switched all my business over to FCP Euro. The lifetime warranty alone is enough to make the jump, but after reading this, I won't be ordering through ECS or Turner in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #318
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

My mileage rolled over the 130,000 mark on the way home from work this past Friday, so the 135i was due for another day in the garage come Saturday. I've been using OCIs of 3,000-4,000 miles, and as much as I drive, that comes along often. I should buy stock in Motul. In addition to the routine oil change, I'd also noticed some slight coming from the front wheel bearings when turning. They certainly looked rough, so I figured I'd preventively go ahead and change those out before the problem got any worse.

For a little under $300 from FCPEuro, I was able to get two front hub assemblies, 8 new bolts (these are supposedly non-reusable and the new ones come pre loaded with thread locking compound, and 2 new brake disc set screws.

As always, grabbed my trusty BMS 17mm wheel socket so I don't scratch up the ARC-8s. I've also been pleasantly surprised at how well my powder coated calipers have held up as the mileage adds up. They still look like the day I received them back from finishing.

After removing the front wheels, I took the time to get out my tire tread measurement tool to see how the Firestones were holding up. 6/32nds on the fronts, and 5/32nds on the rear. I've put about 25,000 miles on this set, so they're holding up pretty well. It doesn't look like they'll last as long as the Hankook V12 Evo2s I had previously, but the Firestone do grip better in dry/wet, and look better too.

Prior to starting the wheel bearing DIY, I found this extremely helpful video showing the exact steps. The process to the E82 is just like the E90 and bolt sizes are the same as well.

Removal of the old wheel bearings started with removing the brake caliper, rotor, and then starting the process of removing the 4 bolts on the backside of the hub assembly. It might not be completely necessary, by I removed the wheel speed sensor to gain some more room as well. This was not the easiest area to photograph.

These bolts are very very hard to remove. They have thread locking material from the factory, and take a lot of effort to remove. There wasn't really enough room to get power tools in there unfortunately, so I just had to use patience and a few different 18mm bolt removal tools. The old ones had seem better days aesthetically, and looked like they need a refreshment.

The Apex wheel stud kit was also fused with the old hub assemblies, so I switched back to normal wheel bolts. They had tarnished into a rusted look anyways, so I was glad to see them go. It's easier to mount wheels with studs, but the rusty look of the studs wasn't for me.

This is prior to installing the new hub assembly:

And afterwards:

Before starting up the car, I added 7 quarts of Motul.

I also fastened down the Craftsman socket set I received in the boot. I felt vulnerable traveling with no tools in this car, and received this as a Christmas gift. The well organized plastic case made it a perfect candidate for staying in the car in case of emergencies.

Now she's ready to return to daily duties!

In fact, the very next day my wife, Winston, and I set off for a little Sunday drive into the Pisgah National Forest for a long hike, followed by a stop by Sierra Nevada brewery for a few beers, before heading home for the evening. Here’s a few other shots I took, as well as a little montage I made of the day’s activities. I’ve been looking for excuses to use the S&Q function on the Sony A7iii.

Constantly making great memories in the 1er.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 01-06-2019 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
Esteban42173.50
Fakemike368.50
Matticus913469.50
      01-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #319
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Nice pics and video...
      01-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #320
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Love the video but... WHERE THE SPOOL SOUNDS AT
      01-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #321
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Love the video but... WHERE THE SPOOL SOUNDS AT
I'm going to start collecting footage over the next few months so I can make a proper video of the car in its current state. Consider those few interior shots a teaser!
Appreciate 2
Matticus913469.50
      01-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #322
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
I'm going to start collecting footage over the next few months so I can make a proper video of the car in its current state. Consider those few interior shots a teaser!
Yesssss I'm excited
      02-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #323
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Even though it's only been 40 days since my last update, this E82 road warrior has racked up nearly 4,500 miles in that time, bringing the odometer up to 133,000 and counting. In North Carolina, that has meant some pretty cold weather recently. That used to mean rough starts on higher concentrations of E85, but after BMS revised their cold start tables on their back end flashes, things are now OEM smooth.

Eventually the 30's gave way to even colder temperatures, and on one particularly frigid morning in the mountains, a single digit cold start was the last bit of energy my battery had left to give. Seeing as how this was still the original, I knew it was only a matter of time before I would have to find a replacement. Daily driving this car plus the intelligent battery sensor really seemed to have stretched the life of the OEM battery which lasted over 10 years.

Before swapping out the dead battery, I performed another routine oil change with Motul and a Mann.

Without too much trouble, I managed to get the old OEM battery out and sat it beside the Interstate replacement to compare. I was relieved to find out they were identical sizes.

I wasn't interested in coding the battery -- only registering, so I went with something with a similar aH rating and non-AGM. The Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-49/H8-1 is 100aH versus 90aH of the OEM, and packs more cold cranking amps and reserve minutes.

15 minutes later and I had everything secured, terminals tightened down, and was ready to register the battery -- which was as simple as opening up the MHD app, going to reset adaptations, and registering the battery.

Before finishing up, I also swapped out the third brake light and added a matte black 135i emblem. This is my 4th brake light, and although the vinyl tint made the third one last longer than the previous two, it still managed to crack on the tops and bottom enough to bother me.

I ordered this purposely through FCP Euro, so I'll be interested to see if they warranty the part the next time it breaks, which it almost certainly will.

I have a very busy next month or so, but getting some dyno time will be a priority in March.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 02-27-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      02-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #324
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Love your updates man. That cold start is uber impressive!
      02-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #325
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Another clean bill of health. Now have over 30,000 miles of use on the single turbo setup.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 02-28-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #326
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I'm sorry if you've detailed this before, but what oil analysis do you have Blackstone provide? Do you do the standard analysis or one of the others added with the standard analysis? I'm really interested in starting to have this done consistently on my 135i.

Thanks and great posts as always!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #327
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKilgore View Post
I'm sorry if you've detailed this before, but what oil analysis do you have Blackstone provide? Do you do the standard analysis or one of the others added with the standard analysis? I'm really interested in starting to have this done consistently on my 135i.

Thanks and great posts as always!
Yep, just the standard analysis. I don't get them done every oil change now that I have some baseline data, but probably every 3rd or 4th oil change just to keep an eye on things. Also helps me validate special ordering expensive oil for a daily driver--this Motul stuff seems pretty great for this application.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #328
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Yep, just the standard analysis. I don't get them done every oil change now that I have some baseline data, but probably every 3rd or 4th oil change just to keep an eye on things. Also helps me validate special ordering expensive oil for a daily driver--this Motul stuff seems pretty great for this application.
Thank you sir. Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #329
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I wanted to add another update to this build thread as the 1er recently passed 140,000 miles and is still going strong, but recently got some time off + some new parts.

I was presented with the opportunity to purchase a E90 335i with a manual transmission that needed a few repairs and the owner wasn’t in a position to invest the money to get it road ready again. I wasn’t able to start the car up to confirm all this, but according to the previous owner the car had a bad water pump and/or thermostat, a leaky valve cover, leaky oil filter housing gaskets, needed tires, as well as a deep cleaning. I was a little hesitant about purchasing a car without hearing and driving it first, but all the maintenance records were included and I felt confident the drivetrain was in good shape. Because of the ailments the car was suffering from, I wasn’t able to drive the car from where it was (about an hour away) to my location, so I had to enlist the help of a flatbed to get it back to my garage before digging in.

Before too long, I had my first E90 up on jack stands, splash shields off, wheels dismounted and started my deep dive to put together a list of parts I’d need to buy,

I headed straight to FCP Euro to utilize their lifetime warranty and made a rather large order for: new thermostat, new water pump, new bolts, two gallons of coolant, a new cylinder head to thermostat hose (these are known to break down by this mileage, new oil cooler and oil filter housing gaskets (including o-rings), new coils, new spark plugs, a new power steering reservoir o-ring, and a few other miscellaneous items. Once those arrived, I was really ready to start the dirty work (literally).

I replaced the water pump on my 135i a little over two years ago back when the car only had 74,000 miles, so now at over 140,000 miles, it was approaching the same amount of miles my first water pump endured before I replaced it as preventive maintenance before it left me stranded. So even though it was still working perfectly, I decided to remove both assemblies from the 335i and the 135i, which takes patience on top of the inevitable coolant bath you’ll be taking. Eventually though, I had all the coolant removed and the water pumps out of both cars. Here’s the new, used, and inoperable water pumps and thermostats laid out prior to re-installation:

I took the new water pump and thermostat from FCP Euro with the lifetime warranty and installed it on my 135i. This would give me a brand new assembly on the 1er, as well as the peace of mind of knowing I had a free replacement waiting if this one ever went bad. The used, but perfectly functioning water pump and thermostat, were installed on the 335i to replace the inoperable parts that were leaking coolant everywhere. At this point I had gotten pretty speedy with the procedure just because I’d done it a couple times.

Once all the water pumps were swapped, it was time to move on to plugs. I wasn’t sure the last time the coils and plugs had been replaced on the 335i, but I knew my 135i was due for NGK spark plugs since I’d been running them for about 15,000 miles, so paying some attention to the ignition system was up next for both cars. The plugs on the 335i weren’t in the best shape, but weren't terrible either.

They were replaced with a brand new set of OEM plugs, and I swapped the lightly used ignition coils from my 135i to the 335i. I then pulled the NGK plugs on the 135i. For 15,000 miles, they looked pristine.

I then used the BMS gap tool to set the .022 I’d been using on the NGK plugs, and installed brand new Bosch coils from FCP Euro on the 135i, which also meant I had a lifetime warranty now on coils for the 1er.

The 335i needed a valve cover gasket next, so I started the teardown for that process. Before long I had the old valve cover off and was ready to inspect for cracks.

Luckily there were no cracks, so I proceeded to fit in the new gasket to the valve cover.

After reassembly and torquing everything back to stock, it was time to replace the oil cooler and filter housing gaskets. Following removal, it was easy to see why there were leaking all down the front of the engine.

Once that was completed, I replaced all the wastegate lines with high temp silicone ones, I drained the original manual transmission fluid and replaced with fresh Redline ATF, I replaced the battery, registered it with MHD, changed the oil and filter, filled up the coolant and followed the electronic bleed procedure. Because the car had been sitting for a while, I made sure to disconnect the injector wires, and prime the system for 10 seconds on 3 different occasions before firing it up and letting everything get up to temperature. To my satisfaction, everything seemed and sounded perfect.

I then spent quite a while refinishing the headlights and giving the exterior paint some attention. Before too long the inside and outside were looking excellent.

After weighing out the affordable tire options for the 19 inch Breyton GTS Race wheels already installed, I decided to go with a set of Achilles Sport 2 245/275 combo tires and glad I did. They filled everything out perfectly and didn’t rub at all on the stock m-sport suspension. Lastly, I added some front splitters and yellow vinyl over the fogs to complete the look I was going for. Here’s a few shots of the car prior to putting it up for sale. At this point, I had considered keeping it, but really have my heart set on a E90 M3 in a year or so.

Not only had I fixed all the problems with the 335i and gotten it running reliably, but I’d also managed to get lifetime warrantied water pump and coils on my current 135i that I’d be keeping long term. Before completely buttoning up the 1er, I had one last new part to put on--a VRSF 335d coolant tank charge pipe that is better fitting for single turbo and inlet cars. Even though I didn’t have the 335d coolant tank, and had just relocated my 135i tank to the driver’s side when I went ST, the ER charge pipe fit had always fit poorly for my setup, so I took the opportunity to swap it out for a better fitting unit that also shows off the Tial blow off valve instead of hiding it out of sight.

The tires on my 135i are reaching the end of their usable lifespan, and I plan on replacing them with the same Achilles Sport 2 tires that I put on the 335i. They’re about half the price of the current Firestone Indy 500 and Hankook V12 Evo2 options I’ve previously had installed on this car and I’ve decided to to try them out. As soon as those are mounted up, I’m determined to carve out some dyno time.
Appreciate 3
gjm1202180.00
Suprgnat2281.00
      06-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #330
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Another awesome update! Guys like you make me envious I don't have a garage to wrench around in, but maybe that's better for my wallet.. Will you end up flipping the 335i for some spare coin?