BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I don't particularly think it was punished. It's an M car, it was made to be "punished". As long as the engine heated up properly prior to every "punishment" session and it was broken in properly, you don't really have anything to be worried about. If it was a dealership demo car or something, where salesmen get to floor it onto the highway before the engine ever warms up, yes I'd worry. But why is everyone worried about buying a sports car which was pushed to the limit... when it's meant to be pushed to the limit anyway?? Why buy a full course meal and only eat the appetizer? BMWs are meant to be driven hard, and if you're not driving it hard, you're not doing it right and you might as well get a Lexus. Much more comfortable. If a car like this DOES have problems after aggressive driving, if it has been broken in right and allowed to warm up, then it just shows BMW has begun to lack in quality. I don't get why people are saying to not take this chance and "wait" because I'm relatively sure waiting will only get you used cars that were used for longer and don't have a statement saying they were properly broken in. Though they might be cheaper, you never know. I see all sorts of clowns selling used 1Ms for over MSRP.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Emotions > Logic
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I don't particularly think it was punished. It's an M car, it was made to be "punished". As long as the engine heated up properly prior to every "punishment" session and it was broken in properly, you don't really have anything to be worried about. If it was a dealership demo car or something, where salesmen get to floor it onto the highway before the engine ever warms up, yes I'd worry. But why is everyone worried about buying a sports car which was pushed to the limit... when it's meant to be pushed to the limit anyway?? Why buy a full course meal and only eat the appetizer? BMWs are meant to be driven hard, and if you're not driving it hard, you're not doing it right and you might as well get a Lexus. Much more comfortable. If a car like this DOES have problems after aggressive driving, if it has been broken in right and allowed to warm up, then it just shows BMW has begun to lack in quality. I don't get why people are saying to not take this chance and "wait" because I'm relatively sure waiting will only get you used cars that were used for longer and don't have a statement saying they were properly broken in. Though they might be cheaper, you never know. I see all sorts of clowns selling used 1Ms for over MSRP.

One simple question. If you had a choice between two used cars where one was a rental car and one was a private owners car, which one would you pick? I can guarantee you that the demo car was driven like most people drive rental cars. BMW might have even suggested the drivers to do so. They love the NYC acronym at the PDC.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #26
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
One simple question. If you had a choice between two used cars where one was a rental car and one was a private owners car, which one would you pick? I can guarantee you that the demo car was driven like most people drive rental cars. BMW might have even suggested the drivers to do so. They love the NYC acronym at the PDC.
This is way too little information to base my decision off of. Does the privately owner break it in right? Does he take it to the track (as I assume most 1Ms are)? I doubt a car driven by execs has seen actual track time. Was the privately owned car a lease, or purchased with the intent to not keep "forever" as I keep my own car? I know people who know they're going to sell their car in 5 years, or who just lease for 3 years, who really couldn't give less of a damn about what they do to the car and actually do 15K oil changes. I would be more inclined to take the privately owned car if I could talk to the owner and get a grasp of what he is like, and if he's minded like myself and does things right. If the owner doesn't give a crap and doesn't even break in the car correctly, then I'd take the demo. That said, once the oil heats up, I drive my own Year 1 (supposedly collectible some day) car like it's a rental, and I love it so much that I still plan to never really sell it unless it becomes ridiculous to keep. My friend is a BMW tech and he swears these cars can take it, and if you're not driving it hard, then you shouldn't be driving it at all. My only worry is if the execs driving the car don't let it warm up before opening it up. That's what I'd badger the dealership about and insist on a long warranty for.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #27
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

You can rest assured that this media car was not broken in properly as per BMW's guidelines.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #28
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Buy it, drive it and love it!
      12-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

If they're willing to, I would lease it in an heartbeat. But buy it? No.

1speedbike does speak much truth and logic, but the simple fact is that cars that are put in the press fleet ARE driven hard when cold. Writers/reviewers and editors are on a time crunch to put together an article or video. In order to get the car up to operating temperature quickly they often drive the hell out of it cold so they can get the oil up to temperature, then they drive it hard some more for the review. Quite apart from that, you have no idea how good these drivers are, how often the car was driven to redline, or how often it had an offroad excursion.

As an example, I once did an inspection on a press-fleet Lotus. The car looked beautiful and drove wonderfully... but when we got it up on the lift I found damage to the suspension in the rear that looked suspiciously like the car had a barbed wire fence wrapped around the tail end, and when we pulled one of the underside panels off we were greeted with the dessicated head of a rabbit. I am not sure to this day what happened to that car but when it went on sale as a "press demo deal" for $4K under MSRP I told my friends to run the other direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Say whatever you want, but the longevity risks to be compromised. If parts break down or need replacement earlier than expected they'll tell you that you were duly informed not to expect a pristine 1M.

As we all know, test-drivers only get the car for a limited period of time to "test" the car's capabilities, mostly without any witnesses around. So will they care?

With a private sale, you risk that the car was abused by a limited number of persons: the owner or his family. However with a "media car", the car is repeatedly abused by all sorts of journalist drivers, who are often more experienced/skilled to venture the car's limits, and beyond (all for the sake of "testing" and a reliable write-up, of course).

I recall the comment on a Belgian forum of someone who had a 1M demo test drive and reported: "Yikes, only 9000 km [5600 miles] and the transmission is already slipping!". Say no more.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I managed also only 8000 miles with my tires and have a new set of front discs and pads. Spririted driving sure, but not abused at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post
Hell No. Be Patient. 8,000 mi - new tires and brakes? It's been used and abused. MSRP - 10K before I would even consider. Good cars do surface from enthusisasts at fair prices - move on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #32
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Why not buy or lease then sell before its out of warranty? Anything breaks and it's covered by warranty so no worries. I just don't see what the big deal is.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #33
violinfather
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Why not buy or lease then sell before its out of warranty? Anything breaks and it's covered by warranty so no worries. I just don't see what the big deal is.

In my case I want to keep the car long term so that is why it is not really an option to dump it before the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

I was only going by the fact that they mentioned it was indeed broken in correctly. But my main point is that there are many factors to take into consideration. I don't really see a different between me driving the car hard or someone else driving it hard as long as the same precautions are taken. Why is it so much worse for another driver to thrash the car when I would do the same? Who knows, they might even be... A better and smarter driver than me )gasp!). Since the car was claimed to be broken in right, I would assume whoever was doing the driving wouldn't be automotively disinclined. However, as mentioned, you'd need more info. I read conflicting things, is it a media car as in driven by magazines etc to test on a track? Or was it a media cat in the sense that someone drove it so it could sit at various media events and just look good? In the latter the case, in sure the car was kept as pristine as possible (at least cosmetically). But then I also saw it was driven by executives, which means it wasn't really a media car? Unless the execs drove it to media events in the latter case. Ask for more info on the car, dig, and look for any excuse to get price cuts or extra perks, and maybe consider the car. But the choice is yours, not ours.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #35
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinfather View Post
In my case I want to keep the car long term so that is why it is not really an option to dump it before the warranty expires.
If there are issues they will come to light before the warranty period is up. If that does in fact happen then it might be a good idea to sell before out of warranty.

If that's not a risk you are willing to take then probably best to move on. There will be other opportunities for another car without the questionable history.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #36
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinfather View Post
Looking at buying a VO fully loaded with 8000 miles on it. Used as a press/media demo. Has new tires and brakes which tells me it has already seen some spirited driving. Only $2500 off full MSRP. Seems a bit much but given that I already gave up an allocation I guess some greater cosmic power is punishing me.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Ouch, $2500 off?! that's the discount the dealer originally offered you for your allocation. is that the same dealer or a different dealer? If it's the same dealer, I would demand more discount. If it's a different dealer and you tried your best, I would say run. 8000mi that's a lot of miles. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #37
violinfather
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
Ouch, $2500 off?! that's the discount the dealer originally offered you for your allocation. is that the same dealer or a different dealer? If it's the same dealer, I would demand more discount. If it's a different dealer and you tried your best, I would say run. 8000mi that's a lot of miles. Good luck.
Different dealer. I am going to pass on this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #38
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false Have a look to this one instead with all the importations fees It still cheaper than the other one at 61000$ and probably in better shape!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #39
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

you would do spirited driving yourself anyway. in most cases, media/demos would be driven by professionals or people who know how to drive cars (probably better than most of us). if the warranty was good on it...i would have no problems buying the car!

people are too damn picky.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Imagine how beat up that 1m was EEKKK
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #41
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M View Post
Imagine how beat up that 1m was EEKKK
than a majority of our cars on this board are also "beat up".
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
than a majority of our cars on this board are also "beat up".
you really think a press car was giving the consideration we give our own vehicles...let me be frank....def not
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #43
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

I'd probably want a little more than $2,500 off MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #44
violinfather
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
you would do spirited driving yourself anyway. in most cases, media/demos would be driven by professionals or people who know how to drive cars (probably better than most of us). if the warranty was good on it...i would have no problems buying the car!

people are too damn picky.

Picky! Would you buy a rental vehicle because I know when I drive something I don't own I drive it as such.

Plus of course I expect the car to have spirited driving it is an M car but not that someone drove the shit out of it when the engine was cold because they did not own it.
Appreciate 0