BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #67
Funky Cold Medina
Leader of The Free World
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT

Carmax 1M

The car is now at Carmax Naperville, IL

They either changed the trunk lid, or removed the spoiler. Still some overpaint on the bumper, and some on the left tail light. the bumper is a little loose behind the right rear wheel. It looks like the car was involved in rear collision.

It drives nicely, no detectable chassis problem, no funny business taking sharp turns, but I did not have a chance to totally goon it and push the limits.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #68
persianbmw91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Cold Medina View Post
The car is now at Carmax Naperville, IL

They either changed the trunk lid, or removed the spoiler. Still some overpaint on the bumper, and some on the left tail light. the bumper is a little loose behind the right rear wheel. It looks like the car was involved in rear collision.

It drives nicely, no detectable chassis problem, no funny business taking sharp turns, but I did not have a chance to totally goon it and push the limits.
walk, you can find better cars. I got a one owner for 45k
      04-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #69
Funky Cold Medina
Leader of The Free World
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT

Thanks for your original post, good social networking.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #70
aaa335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992GT3, Euro E36, 24M3CS

Thanks op! I called my local car max in Tx to try to get this car shipped…was told it is on hold for a test drive tomorrow, but if the guy backed out they would ship it over…glad I saw this thread first, you saved me $500!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #71
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Hey Everyone,

I hesitated a little bit to post this, but I thought it might be of assistance to a potential interested buyer.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I went and looked at this vehicle a couple of weeks ago. I had never actually seen an 1M in person, and this vehicle was actually "relatively" local!

Anyway, as previously noted, the exterior was a bit of a mess. There was actually more paint issues then I was expecting. Overspray everywhere. I actually think the driver's side quarter panel had been totally repainted at some point based on tape lines on the B-pillar. In the right light, the paint did not seem to match the OEM color of the rest of the car. The salesman even agreed.

The folks at this CarMax seemed to be completely surprised at these exterior issues. I'm not sure if the previous 2 CarMax dealers had passed along this issue? I'm guessing not.

On the plus side, the car seemed to drive great.

I followed up with them a day or two later, and they said the car had "not met CarMax standards" in it's current state. So, they had it taken to a body shop. I received an email today saying the car had returned with the following report:

all of the sticky stuff that was on the vehicle from a previous owner wrapping the vehicle has been removed, all over spray has been professionally removed and the vehicle was repainted where needed.

I asked if there was any negotiating room, and was told there was not.

Again, I'm not sure if my post is of any use. But I think the asking price is not reflective of the condition of the vehicle. If anybody decides to go take a look at this vehicle, just beware of potential lingering exterior issues.
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
      06-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #72
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

i thought carax had a policy of not selling cars that were in accidents? I wonder if the paint was from an accident or if it was cosmetic issues.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #73
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
93tankus Really great to have your firsthand update, and appreciate the detail you share.

etr2016 The 93tankus info implies that the issues were due to improper removal and cleanup of a wrap by the prior owner, but I'm not so sure that explains all the observations (apparently non stock trunk lid for example).
      06-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #74
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Of note, I was at the Naperville Carmax on 05/31/2018 and while not looking for it, I did not see the car there - and I don't think it shows on their inventory list anymore - so someone has picked it up!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #75
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
i thought carax had a policy of not selling cars that were in accidents? I wonder if the paint was from an accident or if it was cosmetic issues.
I have been having Cayman lust recently and my local Carmax showed a 2018 Red with black interior manual cayman in stock. I went to look at it. It only had 3K miles. It looked great at first but the drivers side was in the shade and passenger side was in the setting sun side. As I walked around using my super micrometer eye (which is a curse because I see every imperfection) sure enough I noticed an ever so slight change in the orange peel on the driver's door and front left fender. I am positive 99% of the world wouldn't notice. So I start rocking back and forth to let the sun show me and I can begin to see that the clearcoat is not as smooth as the rest of the car. It also has a slight orange peel. So I squat down so that I am looking at inside the front wheel well and sure enough there is red overspray inside the wheel liner and as I look up from underneath, I can see the rubber window moulding has red paint underneath where it was masked off. So it wasn't even a professional paint job, they just masked it off and resprayed the panels.

What is more disturbing is that they were asking $55K for the car and it only had one option, 20" black wheels, which I think are dumb and ugly anyway, but a brand new cayman is about $57K with 18" wheels. I show the sales lady the overspray and peeling paint under the moulding and the different shades or red and clear coat and she says...oh yes, I can see it. Then she looks at me and says so you want to buy the car? I said, no sorry and she says but it has a clean Autocheck report, look. Also, our people do a 2 million point inspection! And our cars have no structural damage! I said, well that's nice but I don't know what sort of damage this was and it was not repaired correctly.

She then looks flustered and says to me: You realize that we sell used cars here a cosmetic blemishes are normal on used cars?

I just said, I'm sorry, a paint ship on the bumper is a cosmetic blemish, this is so much more. Thank you. She was very professional and corteous but wasn't understanding that this is more than a blemish for what is basically new car price on top.

So like all dealers, even CarMax, BEWARE!

If you are in the market for a Cayman in San Diego or SoCal, watch out for the 2018 Red Cayman!

Here is the link to it:
https://www.carmax.com/car/16070457

VIN: WP0AA2A88JK260525

I hope no one gets duped into this one. If they want to still buy it like this, that's fine as long as they know and understand that it has been poorly repainted but it is being being sold with a "clean" autocheck implying no damage. Again, If it was repainted correctly, that would also be a different thing but this was not repaired correctly for a car of this price IMHO.

Finally, what really worries me is if this was traded in like this, didn't their experts doing the 2 million point inspection notice this? I doubt they wouldn't notice which makes me wonder if CarMax did this crappy repaint job themselves?
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 06-10-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
champignon1562.00
JP-1M171.00
      06-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #76
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I have been having Cayman lust recently and my local Carmax showed a 2018 Red with black interior manual cayman in stock. I went to look at it. It only had 3K miles. It looked great at first but the drivers side was in the shade and passenger side was in the setting sun side. As I walked around using my super micrometer eye (which is a curse because I see every imperfection) sure enough I noticed an ever so slight change in the orange peel on the driver's door and front left fender. I am positive 99% of the world wouldn't notice. So I start rocking back and forth to let the sun show me and I can begin to see that the clearcoat is not as smooth as the rest of the car. It also has a slight orange peel. So I squat down so that I am looking at inside the front wheel well and sure enough there is red overspray inside the wheel liner and as I look up from underneath, I can see the rubber window moulding has red paint underneath where it was masked off. So it wasn't even a professional paint job, they just masked it off and resprayed the panels.

What is more disturbing is that they were asking $56K for the car and it only had one option, 20" black wheels, which I think are dumb and ugly anyway, but a brand new cayman is about $55K with 18" wheels. I show the sales lady the overspray and peeling paint under the moulding and the different shades or red and clear coat and she says...oh yes, I can see it. Then she looks at me and says so you want to buy the car? I said, no sorry and she says but it has a clean Autocheck report, look. Also, our people do a 2 million point inspection! And our cars have no structural damage! I said, well that's nice but I don't know what sort of damage this was and it was not repaired correctly.

She then looks flustered and says to me: You realize that we sell used cars here a cosmetic blemishes are normal on used cars?

I just said, I'm sorry, a paint ship on the bumper is a cosmetic blemish, this is so much more. Thank you. She was very professional and corteous but wasn't understanding that this is more than a blemish for what is basically new car price on top.

So like all dealers, even CarMax, BEWARE!

If you are in the market for a Cayman in San Diego or SoCal, watch out for the 2018 Red Cayman!

Here is the link to it:
https://www.carmax.com/car/16070457

VIN: WP0AA2A88JK260525

I hope no one gets duped into this one. If they want to still buy it like this, that's fine as long as they know and understand that it has been poorly repainted but it is being being sold with a "clean" autocheck implying no damage. Again, If it was repainted correctly, that would also be a different thing but this was not repaired correctly for a car of this price IMHO.
I have a 2003 996 TT, that I bought out of LA last spring and drove back to Idaho. It has 77,000+ miles on it. Although the body and interior are in fine shape "for age and mileage," no one would mistake it for a new car. It's had a lot of very expensive mechanical work done on it the last 13,000 miles, which is a large part of the reason why I bought it, plus it was a reasonably good deal, for what it is/was. The couple of tiny door dings and numerous small pain imperfections are no issue for me; the car looks like what it is, it looks the part, it is a 16 year old car in great shape, but with the scars to prove it.

My ~60,000 mile 2000 Z3M Coupe is similarly a well-used car in great condition, for age and mileage.

I much prefer "used" vintage cars like these to something that purports to be an almost new car, but isn't.

Thanks for sharing!