BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
135i_Vert
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

WTB: Rear Diffuser!!!

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I tried my luck on an ebay diffuser... and of course its a POS! The quality is horrible and the fitment is even worse, moral of the story is you get what you pay for.

So if anyone has/knows of a decent single exhaust diffuser (preferably carbon and vented) for an E88/82, please let me know.

Willing to pay for shipping. Thank You!

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Orbar18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e93 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [9.50]
2011 BMW M3 e93  [8.75]
2008 BMW 135i Msport  [9.50]
2020 BMW X3mc  [9.17]
Following! also in need of one!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
wherewuat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i

which one did you buy?
I bought a carbon fiber quad diffuser from speed-motoring and it had solid fitment. Only one screw on the bottom was slightly off.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewuat View Post
which one did you buy?
I bought a carbon fiber quad diffuser from speed-motoring and it had solid fitment. Only one screw on the bottom was slightly off.
The cheapest one, since most of my research said that the eBay diffusers fit with slight mis-alignment/less screws but were doable for the price. I figured that all eBay diffusers were made equal so I just went with the cheapest one...

However, I just spent an hour with a blow dryer and used a metal rod with a tennis ball on the end for pressure. Held the diffuser where I wanted it (aligned correctly/ flush) heated the diffuser and let it completely cool while constantly holding the pressure... Took of the metal rod and ball combo that was applying the pressure. And tadaaa it looks perfect. So I'm kinda happy about it now. Until the cheap Chinese POS cracks or breaks within the next year or two lol

I'll post a picture if anyone would like to see the finished product or how I did it if they would like to try on theirs, if they run into the same issue or want to fix their current one.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_Vert View Post
The cheapest one, since most of my research said that the eBay diffusers fit with slight mis-alignment/less screws but were doable for the price. I figured that all eBay diffusers were made equal so I just went with the cheapest one...

However, I just spent an hour with a blow dryer and used a metal rod with a tennis ball on the end for pressure. Held the diffuser where I wanted it (aligned correctly/ flush) heated the diffuser and let it completely cool while constantly holding the pressure... Took of the metal rod and ball combo that was applying the pressure. And tadaaa it looks perfect. So I'm kinda happy about it now. Until the cheap Chinese POS cracks or breaks within the next year or two lol

I'll post a picture if anyone would like to see the finished product or how I did it if they would like to try on theirs, if they run into the same issue or want to fix their current one.
Let's say the fit was much better, how much install time we talking and how difficult (again, sans tennis balls and steel rods.... )?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
wherewuat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
Quote:

Let's say the fit was much better, how much install time we talking and how difficult (again, sans tennis balls and steel rods.... )?
Haha took me about 5 minutes to install mine
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah about five minutes as long as everything fits... the tennis ball and rod combo was only for me to use for presser as i heated the diffuser up for molding purposes.

any diffuser you buy (as long as you buy a decent one) wont need molding, mine was just poorly made.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah about five minutes as long as everything fits... the tennis ball and rod combo was only for me to use for presser as i heated the diffuser up for molding purposes.

any diffuser you buy (as long as you buy a decent one) wont need molding, mine was just poorly made.

Thanks. The clips everyone talks about are at the top part of the diffuser where it meets the bumper I assume? Push in on the bumper and pull the diffuser at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. The clips everyone talks about are at the top part of the diffuser where it meets the bumper I assume? Push in on the bumper and pull the diffuser at the same time?
yeah man, honestly if you have 10 minutes and are bored and wanna see how it fits just unscrew the 6 bolts (7 or 8mm i cant remember) on the stock diffuser and just slowly start to pull on one end of the diffuser and work your way to the other side popping loose the tabs. and dont worry you're not gunna hurt it. and that will give you the full understanding of how everything works and of course then put it back on lol. super easy
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #10
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah man, honestly if you have 10 minutes and are bored and wanna see how it fits just unscrew the 6 bolts (7 or 8mm i cant remember) on the stock diffuser and just slowly start to pull on one end of the diffuser and work your way to the other side popping loose the tabs. and dont worry you're not gunna hurt it. and that will give you the full understanding of how everything works and of course then put it back on lol. super easy
Much appreciated thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Bmw oem carbon diffuser. No need to pull, drag or heat. Pop off the plastic old one and pop in the carbon bmw one. Done in 5 min. Lol. Its even lighter than the plastic diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsensation View Post
Bmw oem carbon diffuser. No need to pull, drag or heat. Pop off the plastic old one and pop in the carbon bmw one. Done in 5 min. Lol. Its even lighter than the plastic diffuser
$2k for a cosmetic part vs $500 for an eBay one.

Granted it totally defeats the purpose if it doesn't look good, but it'd be nice to find something for $800 that is better than the eBay crap, but cheaper than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #13
Maxsensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Not even close to 2k. Only 1200 with change if you look online.

Ive had a rep before and the bwm compared is night and day difference
Appreciate 0