BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

How dangerous is meth (No, not ice, WMI)?

Okay, Given that one of my OEM turbos has shat its self, and I see myself owning this car for the (very) long term, my tuning goals have just changed significantly.

I'm looking to do a single-turbo swap on a daily-driver N54. Being a daily-driver, I'd like to still have the convenience of being able to pull into the gas station next door to fill up. ie. Rather than chase 600whp+, I'm tuning for pump fuel.

So, clearly with pump fuel, I'm going to be octane limited very quickly. ... and the obvious solution to that is to use WMI.

But, I've heard a few hardcore modifiers speak badly of WMI... so tell me.... Is it dangerous? What do you do to mitigate the risks? ... and what does the mod-list of a 'safely' tuned N54 that's near the limit of pure Pump or Pump + Meth look like?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

You could spray a mostly water mix into the charge air to cool it down. With a big single you'll easily hit 500-550whp on something equivalent to 93, or 98ron, even without doing that.

No problems with low wm mixes if you use a trunk mounted tank, keep the mix below 70%, and use it for cooling only.
xQx902.50
      09-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Okay, Given that one of my OEM turbos has shat its self, and I see myself owning this car for the (very) long term, my tuning goals have just changed significantly.

I'm looking to do a single-turbo swap on a daily-driver N54. Being a daily-driver, I'd like to still have the convenience of being able to pull into the gas station next door to fill up. ie. Rather than chase 600whp+, I'm tuning for pump fuel.

So, clearly with pump fuel, I'm going to be octane limited very quickly. ... and the obvious solution to that is to use WMI.

But, I've heard a few hardcore modifiers speak badly of WMI... so tell me.... Is it dangerous? What do you do to mitigate the risks? ... and what does the mod-list of a 'safely' tuned N54 that's near the limit of pure Pump or Pump + Meth look like?

Methanol is fuel. The danger comes from leaks, more-so leaks in the engine bay.

A lot of issues that happened on the E9X chassis where that they were using the windshield washer tank to store methanol. The methanol would corrode the windshield sprayer pumps and it would leak and pool in the belly pan, eventually sloshing on the turbo's (causing a fire).

The other issue is they would get vapor lock in the windshield washer tank and the cap would pop off and spray over the hot engine (causing a fire).

Also there was a select few amount of people running obscene timing and boost and the methanol wasn't spraying perfectly to each cylinder.

If methanol is done correctly and installed safely, it's pretty safe and 10000's of people run them without a hitch. But if you aren't running a port injection kit it's best to stay conservative with boost and timing increases because you aren't getting a perfect amount of spray in each cylinder.

My suggestion, run a dedicated fuel/methanol tank in the trunk. Run your lines safely to the engine bay. Triple check connections for leaks. Inspect your system monthly.

Run a meth mixture that is 50/50 and be conservative on your tuning.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      09-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
optigrab
More Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i MSport 6AT

Get the MHD flex fuel and run E85. This would be the simplest and safest setup, Several of the united stations sell E85
Appreciate 0