Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I doubt we will ever see such pure steering feel in a BMW (or any car) again.
Looking forward, sure. But both M Coupes and the E36 M3 has better steering feel. I'm in my 40's, which might explain why I feel the best M Car should at least have individual throttle bodies and an 8k+ redline. Either S54 M Coupe for me.
I call BS...:bs:

Tell me about that E36 ... how did it do at the 8k redline ...

Also.. tell me about the individual throttle bodies on the S50 and S52 as well. .. cause those didn't have them in the US because the E36 M3 was always considered " not a real M motor ".

I had an E30 M3 and a chip for it that DID go to 8K... but that's something an E36 was never up for.
Was speaking more of the ROW models, the S50b30 had a 7,600 redline and the S50b32 was 7,400. As noted, relatively light changes allowed both to rev either close to or to 8k.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #68
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post
Randy's call on it:
that's what happens when you ask a Porsche racer about a BMW.

I like Randy Pobst.... love that he came up through autocrossing and respect the racing talent.. but he is an absolute Porsche guy.
Appreciate 2
c63er876.00
Brake_Late1936.50
      07-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I don't know a whole lot about that 1M... but what does it do better than the new M2 competition? Is it just a bit smaller and a bit more raw? It seems the M2 Competition is a more modern - but seemingly just as small and nimble - version of that 1M. But again I don't really know much about it.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia around the period in recent time when BMW decided to make a smaller more simplistic M instead of a larger heavier M with more and more tech?
Advantages of the 1M over the M2 and M2 Competition

no EPS - the manual rack is simply sublime.. perhaps not the best ever from BMW.. that nod actually might go to the E36 M3.. but close.
manual seats standard
fewer nannies
less weight - 150 lbs lighter than the M2 and nearly 300 lbs less than the M2 Comp

If one is seeking a Daily driver.. any new car has so many creature comforts it will certainly be the better choice. However.. as car used for driving on B roads, or on track... I will take the 1M twice on Saturday and Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have had 2 of these white and a black one.

The chassis was a masterpiece for driving b roads. It eats corners for breakfest!

The short wheelbase was awesome.

I have an m2 and an m3 and all i can tell you. They are less special to drive.

Why

Because they are bigger
Because they are heavier
Because the have a longer wheelbase.

Engine wise the s55 is much better. Interiour of the newer car is better.

But if bmw made a new m car with the same wheelbase and weight and size as the 1m with an s55 in it. I would be all over it.

But evey new m model is bigger and heavier and a longer wheelbase and that kills all the fun in driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Lots of things make the 1M special, however these are what stand out to me (and many others):

1. Dat ass - pictures just to not do justice to how wide the fender flares actually are in the back.

2. Looks like a concept car drawing/caricature of a car but is real.

3. Super quick steering and go cart like feel.

4. It's own version of turbo lag ... OMG overboost - wtf I was mid corner and the rear just stepped way out with all the nannies still on and I had to catch it with my own skill; there is a reason a good percentage of 1Ms have been totaled.

5. Designed by engineers for maximum fun - not to hit a marketing budget, spec, fill a hole in the line up, etc.

6. Engine feels laughably underrated when it goes all beast mode; feels more powerful than my M3 ZCP (however the speed at the top end would say otherwise).
the 1M is a car that requires a driver have some talent...... because it can step out on you... it demands your attention in a way that's just exhilarating.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-06-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      07-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #70
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Randy's call on it:

I like Randy Pobst.... love that he came up through autocrossing and respect the racing talent.. but he is an absolute Porsche guy.
Yes and don't forget there are big differences between cars on the street and on the track.

You see almost every review these days on the track to show how fast the car is or stable on a track. Most of this doesn't translate to the street and people actually make decisions on what a good or great street car is based on what someone says with a track based review. It's a joke. But it shows just how stupid "enthusiasts" are these days.

Almost as bad as the idiots who buy cars based on how fast it drives on the Nurburgring.

It's one reason a lot of cars are boring these days, cars designed to perform at very high speed are inherently too stable at low speeds of street driving.

Most super fun street cars aren't great on the track. Most amazingly fast track cars are horrible on the street.
      07-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #71
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

I think a better question would be what's the best non-M BMW car ever: in that case 335is takes it for me.
Appreciate 1
c63er876.00
      07-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #72
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I think a better question would be...
Cool story bro.

Maybe start your own thread...
Appreciate 2
stefan2346.50
      07-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #73
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
The "best M" car cannot be answered by anyone except yourself. One of the nice things about M cars throughout the years is that a car enthusiast can usually find one that suits them the best.

For me, it will continue to be the E39 M5. Maybe because it's the first M I owned, maybe it's because I drove two non-M E39s before that, maybe it's the Q-ship element. Realistically it's a bunch of things - the car, that period of my life, what I needed at that time.

I love the Z4M coupe for almost completely different reasons, but I think it is up there as well. It is telling (to me) the that E39 and Z4M are long-term cars for me and staying, but I'll rotate out the third M (currently an F80).

I really love the 1M. I had a lot of seat time in one for 2 years as my friend owned it (keeping it for up to a week at a time). What a fun car. When he sold it he offered it to me first, at a fair price. I didn't take it because 1) I was set on doing a European Delivery; and 2) I wanted a new DD that I wouldn't worry about (as much), and be ready to switch out more regularly than my other Ms. Overall, it was a good decision for me, but I regret it sometimes.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 4
Red Bread4462.00
IB M2765.50
ShawnPaul109.50
      07-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #74
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

The chassis was a masterpiece for driving b roads. It eats corners for breakfest!

Why

Because they are bigger
Because they are heavier

But if bmw made a new m car with the same wheelbase and weight and size as the 1m with an s55 in it. I would be all over it.

But evey new m model is bigger and heavier and a longer wheelbase and that kills all the fun in driving!
Ya the M2 really tips the scales at 150lb heavier and 1.3" longer wheelbase What you're experiencing is hydraulic steering.
      07-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #75
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:

Why

Because they are bigger
Because they are heavier

Ya the M2 really tips the scales at 150lb heavier and 1.3" longer wheelbase What you're experiencing is hydraulic steering.
And 150 pounds less than the M2 Chubby.

Time to code-in the M4 GTS steering settings.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #76
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I would venture a guess that the best M car is the M1, not the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #77
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
The 1M would not be the same with an s65. It’s a punchy street car. Not a track car.

Special for sure. A real BMW hotrod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I think the 1M and E92 M3 were the last great M cars. And interestingly the 1M was the polar opposite of its contemporary the E92 M3 (low torque vs high revs, spastic and raw vs deliberate and smooth). I liken these badass brothers to James Dean vs James Bond.
I think it's a toss op between those two depending on your preference and priorities. I prefer torque and a little rowdiness (1M), but both have merits.
Everything since then feels like they were designed by corporate committee rather than driving enthusiasts.
even just the fact that there was a time when you had the option to buy both the 1M and the E92 M3 new from bmw. You could have the high revving NA V8 M3 and the torque fun stripped back 1M. I think both the 1m and the e92 together drew a lot of meaning from each other.

The M2 competition and the f80 m4 obviously have the same powerplant, same suspension, and weigh very similar.
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      07-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #78
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
The 1M would not be the same with an s65. It's a punchy street car. Not a track car.

Special for sure. A real BMW hotrod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I think the 1M and E92 M3 were the last great M cars. And interestingly the 1M was the polar opposite of its contemporary the E92 M3 (low torque vs high revs, spastic and raw vs deliberate and smooth). I liken these badass brothers to James Dean vs James Bond.
I think it's a toss op between those two depending on your preference and priorities. I prefer torque and a little rowdiness (1M), but both have merits.
Everything since then feels like they were designed by corporate committee rather than driving enthusiasts.
even just the fact that there was a time when you had the option to buy both the 1M and the E92 M3 new from bmw. You could have the high revving NA V8 M3 and the torque fun stripped back 1M. I think both the 1m and the e92 together drew a lot of meaning from each other.

The M2 competition and the f80 m4 obviously have the same powerplant, same suspension, and weigh very similar.
Very true, but while I (of course) haven't driven the M2C (but plan to buy one), I've used an M4 on Autocross and wasn't impressed. Like I said, I just feel like despite big HP numbers, newer M cars just feel more sterile and numb than the previous generation. It's mostly the steering, but there are other intangibles.

If I were offered a 1M or an M4(any edition) I would take the 1M any day and twice on Sundays. It's just a better car once you look past 0-60 or Ring times.
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #79
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
It definitely would be but the only and I mean only draw back to the 1M is the n54 under the hood.. if it came with the s65 then hands down would be the best M car ever
100% this. Owned both an e92 M3 and 1M nearly every time that I drove the 1M I wished it had the S65.
Appreciate 1
Alexxxx52.00
      07-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #80
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
It definitely would be but the only and I mean only draw back to the 1M is the n54 under the hood.. if it came with the s65 then hands down would be the best M car ever
100% this. Owned both an e92 M3 and 1M nearly every time that I drove the 1M I wished it had the S65.
Nothing against the S65 but the people who primarily make these statements are E9X M3 owners. The S65 was a great engine but not necessary in the 1M. The N54 helps give the 1M its bonkers personality along with its aggressive competition pack setup...without it, it wouldn't be the 1M we know and love. Time to accept it for what it is..

by default i'd say most 1M owners respect the E9X M3 because without that car there would be no 1M. That being said we don't want the 1M to be a smaller E9X M3 we wanted it to be a the freakshow little frankenstein that it is!
      07-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:

Why

Because they are bigger
Because they are heavier

While he used to own two 1Ms. He also does own an M2 ..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #82
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Lots of things make the 1M special, however these are what stand out to me (and many others):

1. Dat ass - pictures just to not do justice to how wide the fender flares actually are in the back.

3. Super quick steering and go cart like feel.

4. It's own version of turbo lag ... OMG overboost - wtf I was mid corner and the rear just stepped way out with all the nannies still on and I had to catch it with my own skill; there is a reason a good percentage of 1Ms have been totaled.

5. Designed by engineers for maximum fun - not to hit a marketing budget, spec, fill a hole in the line up, etc.

6. Engine feels laughably underrated when it goes all beast mode; feels more powerful than my M3 ZCP (however the speed at the top end would say otherwise).
All the commentary on 'm' engine, non 'm' engine is entertaining and I couldn't possibly care any less. It's a car, and how it drives and looks is what brings the smile to my dial. It could have been a Kia and I'd still love it the way I do.

So when I think of the 1M and why, throughout my auto ownership career, (often getting rid of new cars within a year and a half), I can't bring myself to sell this one after 7, it's reasons like the above that tell my story.

You sir, get it! Hat's off.
Appreciate 4
10"4946.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      07-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #83
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You really hit this for me...... when I was a child, yeah a long time ago, I used to love and collect BinBan models like the ones below, and whenever I walk up to my car it reminds me of those, and I just think it's hilarious.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #84
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Dumb video and dumb thread. Surprised so many posters took the bait hook, line and sinker.

Truth: There is no best M car.

Maybe there is a top 10 that most would agree on, without a ranking order.

If you could only own one M car by law, different people would pick different M cars.

Why ?

because personal taste - to one guy the M6 is a big pig and the 1M is the perfect size. To another guy the 1M is a small girls car and the M6 is a King's sled.

AND

Weapon of choice differs depending on the venue you frequent most or most enjoy: a 500 mile road trip (M5), a daily commute, the track, twisty two lane, stoplight sprint, Christmas tree drag race, hard parking, race pedigree (E30M), cruising the boulevard, pebble beach, exclusivity (M1), rarity, snow or off road (X5M,X6M), beauty pageant (personal taste), fun factor (don't forget the clown shoe Z3M), collectibility (E36LTW) ......... should I keep going ???
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #85
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Randy's call on it:

He seems to like other BMWs
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Alexxxx52.00
      07-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #86
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I don't know a whole lot about that 1M... but what does it do better than the new M2 competition? Is it just a bit smaller and a bit more raw? It seems the M2 Competition is a more modern - but seemingly just as small and nimble - version of that 1M. But again I don't really know much about it.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia around the period in recent time when BMW decided to make a smaller more simplistic M instead of a larger heavier M with more and more tech?
This video pretty much sums it up. It (1M), has a personality about the car that is hard to explain on a message board.....

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:12 AM   #87
baseCPM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Closer to being the ugliest M than being the best M, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:25 AM   #88
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseCPM3 View Post
Closer to being the ugliest M than being the best M, but to each their own.
I have to agree with you there, one thing I've never had amongst all the positive comments was "Now that's one pretty car!"

But I drive it......... I don't F..... it.
Appreciate 2
Alexxxx52.00