BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Joelkswagen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i FBO

WTB Rear Right Drive Axle and Hub

My right rear drive axle is seeping grease all over the place and will need to be replaced in the near future. I tried ordering the axle from ECS but its been on back order for over a month.

Anyone have a new or used rear right drive axle? I would prefer to buy it with the hub attached so I don't need to mess with trying to remove and reattach the hub, I hear this can be quite difficult. Hopefully someone has a part-out that could help me out.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
wook
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I just replaced my passenger axle this weekend, E82 MT. They were sold out everywhere, but I was able to find one on Ebay from Germany, here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOBRO-HINTE...QAAOSwCi9b6CeZ

They asked for my VIN to verify fitment and it was the correct axle. Getting the axle out of the hub was a PITA, and that's probably an understatement, so if you do find one parted out I would go that route first.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Joelkswagen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wook View Post
I just replaced my passenger axle this weekend, E82 MT. They were sold out everywhere, but I was able to find one on Ebay from Germany, here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOBRO-HINTE...QAAOSwCi9b6CeZ

They asked for my VIN to verify fitment and it was the correct axle. Getting the axle out of the hub was a PITA, and that's probably an understatement, so if you do find one parted out I would go that route first.
Thank you! I will probably need to order from these guys. I am seriously concerned about hub removal, and looking at the end of the shaft where it connects to the hub, it looks like it was already hit with an air hammer, there is a huge indentation in the metal. I highly doubt I could remove it myself. I am not sure the reason why this the axle is leaking, but its also dinged up on the inside. Its possible it was damaged when the wheel bearing was replaced by the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Joelkswagen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone know if the automatic transmission rear axle is different than MT? I assume it is. Mine is Mt.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
wook
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelkswagen View Post
Thank you! I will probably need to order from these guys. I am seriously concerned about hub removal, and looking at the end of the shaft where it connects to the hub, it looks like it was already hit with an air hammer, there is a huge indentation in the metal. I highly doubt I could remove it myself. I am not sure the reason why this the axle is leaking, but its also dinged up on the inside. Its possible it was damaged when the wheel bearing was replaced by the previous owner.

Indentation is likely from a 3 jaw puller, maybe you get lucky and they anti-seized the hell out of the splines (like I did). I also bought a tool (~$50) to pull the axle into the hub when reinstalling, it's a tight fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelkswagen View Post
Anyone know if the automatic transmission rear axle is different than MT? I assume it is. Mine is Mt.
Pumpkins are different sizes, so I'm pretty sure the axles are as well:
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Skers 05
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 1M Clone, '11 328i, '13 X5

I should have everything you need right here...

FS: 135i Subframe w/ M3 Bushings (Lots of extra parts!) https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1427920
Appreciate 0