BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
BlaznSadlz
BlaznSadlz
Rep
Drives:

128i Order / options ?

Getting ready to order a 128i and i'm struggling with which options to go get. Any feedback is appreciated: This is very general, just trying to get a feel for the BMW's and how people feel about the various options.

The only option i really want is the xenon headlights, but do they make a noticable difference? Is the Premium package worth the $3,700 or the leather alone? How about BMW assist? Manual Seats vs Power - noone is really going to be riding in the back? Cold weather package - headlamp washers really help out? - never had heated seats so i don't think i'd miss not getting them?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
bubble
I am the Stig.
Rep
Drives:

The last car I had, I did not get the heated seats, and I really regretted it (and I'm in Texas) - I know you have to deal with the cold much longer than I do! It was a definite on this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

If I only had to pick one option it would be the sport package: betters seats and the 135 suspension are well worth it. The car looks so much better riding a bit lower. I picked xenons mostly for resale and the red leather seats. Skip metallic paint, the car looks fantastic in White.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
BlaznSadlz
BlaznSadlz
Rep
Drives:

thanks for the feedback .. tough decision
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'd say skip the premium package unless you are going to be adjusting the seats all the time. If you are single like me and no one else ever drives the car you don't need power seats. In fact, if you have someone sit in the back, it's SLOWER to use the power seats to let them back there. The other stuff may or may not be worth it to you. The dimming mirrors, garage opener, and compass meant nothing to me. BMW assist meant very little. I did opt for just the leather though, but that is really a matter of personal taste.

I live in Boston and I skipped the heated seats. They annoy me and make me feel like I wet my pants. If you've never had them before you probably won't miss them.

The headlights are nice but a little pricey and certainly not necessary. I'd say comfort access is also a waste of money unless you have multiple people driving the car (that coupled with power seats is nice).

I have a 135 but like others out there I definitely recommend the sport package for the seats and the suspension.

I opted to spend my money on audio upgrades because I like listening to music.

Also, I love active steering but 98% of the others out there will disagree.
      10-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
I have a 128i Coupe with Black Sapphire, Sun Roof, USB, Steptronic.

It was the least specced up Black 128i in Vancouver at the time.

After driving it for 6000 km's I think the thing one option that I feel is missing would be the Sport Pack.

I love the rims & the sports suspension would liven up the soft handling.

Sports seats would also make my 200 km a day commute more comfortable than the over soft stock seats which I feel lack a little support over long periods.

The things that I'm glad I have are the USB & heated seats (we get them standard up North).

Things I'd like but not going to cry over are, Xenons & leather.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

I was intent on keeping the number to the low 30's to keep the bang for the buck high and the reliability high as well. I only got Sport, Auto, Xenons, SGM and walnut trim. The BMW options are pricey, and IMO not all really required.

The manual leatherette sport seats are fully adjustable and great if you are not always changing drivers.

The steering-wheel-following Xenons are awesome, and a real bonus for my 52 year old eyes. Plus they look awesome! I would get these again.

The auto is really good in sport mode, and has been a reasonable tradeoff to a stick for my hour long bumper to bumper commute.

Unless you are longing for a particular color combo, you can save a grand by going with stock interior trim colors and non-metallic paint.

So far I don't feel I mised out by not getting particular options. Don't miss the leather, I can put my own key in the ignition, the standard radio is pretty solid, and you can load in a CD with 100 MP3's so you're not always futzing with your Ipod.

The only option I wished BMW offerred (and I would snap up) is a stand alone mobile phone Bluetooth integration option for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Once you go xenon you wont be able to drive with Halogen ever again!! Lol, I think the leather is worth it but not the premium package, although the floding mirrors are pretty cool. Sport Package is great also. I would chose Sport over Premium!!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
guneygolf47
Registered
Rep
Drives:

reply to blaznsadlz

hello How are you . I have been reading this forum for a while but i just picked up my 128 i about 3 weeks ago and I joined the forum today . I think its a great forum and i noticed you are in Long Island Also . I am from Port washington and now live in melville. I have the 128i hardtop balck sapphire metallic w/ steptronic power seats prem sound . I only did a 2 year lease O down but I like this car so much i wish i did a loan to buy it. I have seen 3 or 4 135s so far on LI and maybe 1 128. The car is awesome in terms of power , handling, the way it sounds and the prem sound is outstanding . My boss has 2 maseratis: a black quatraporte sedan and a brand new gran turismo . I drive both of them sometimes and they are off the charts. Of course I would love to have one of these cars but I am just saying you will be very impressed about the engineering in the bmw and for the money its amazing how much car you are getting. Good Luck with your new car if you w go with it.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
BlaznSadlz
BlaznSadlz
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all the great feedback... I think i've decided what to go with .. what do you think:

128i
Sport Package
Xenon Headlights
Grey Poplar Trim
Comes to $33,175.

- Does the sport package really take away from the ride comfort?
- Are the sport seats much more comfortable and hold the driver better when driving aggressively?
- With the sport package can i still throw 4 16" rims w/ winter tires on... even though the stock are 2 different sizes?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

Blazn - Good option picks to keep the price under control and focus on functionality. The sport package is a must - essentially the same suspension as the 135i, which is great when you want to drive it like it was intended. The 17's with RFTs are good looking, and probably a little more forgiving than the 18's on the 135i. I think the biggest harshness factor probably comes from the run flats, which you will be replacing in the next year if you are really using the sport package! Sport seats are really supportive and look good as well, with multiple axes of adjustment. One caveat - some extra wide people find the side bolsters a little confining. If you aren't a wide body they are great. You won't regret the sport option.

Xenons are worth it as well.

Not sure about all the replacement tire fitments - check on the wheel & tire forum for the expert opinions.

The gray poplar is a sweet color, and the light plays off it very well. I would have gone with the gray with my SGM, but thought the walnut was a better complement for my Taupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

If you've got an iPod and can't live w/o it - make sure you get the iPod/USB option. And the Sport Package is a must. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

Just received the following e-mail from Femington BMW and passing it along...

Thomas,

Just checking in.... BMW has offered a 0.9% rate on any remaining '08 BMW, including for the first time the new '08 128 and 135 cars!

We have only 3 left, and all are 135i's. We have two coupes, Black and White and 1 convertible in Titanium Silver.

Since you are on the "Do Not Call" list, and it has been longer than 3 mos. since we spoke, I can't call you anymore unless you contact me!

Are you still in the market? :iono:

Thank you,

Thomas E Terrill
Client Advisor
(908) 788-2691
:roundel:tterrill@flemington.com :roundel:

Delivered: 08 “Year One -11- Of The 1” 08 - Debadged: 08 “Day One -11- Of The 1” 08
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Xenons are an absolute must-have and IMO so is the sport package, you will also not regret getting the heated seats but you will probably regret not getting them
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
niquev
Rep
Drives:

IMHO, Sports Package isn't even really that necessary. The only thing that's note worthy on the 128's ZSP package are the sports suspension and increased speed limiter. I test drove an MT 128 with ZSP and the ride wasn't that harsh and I went over a few bumps including railroad tracks. As for the increased speed limiter, you'll have to ask yourself how often you'll be taking the 230hp engine to 150mph.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So many differing opinions on Sports Package.

Any chance you can test drive a non-sport package car & sport package car back to back?

I wish I had the chance to do so as I bought a non-sport without driving it & I slighty regret it.

Xenons? I have 2 cars with xenons and the 128i with halogen. To be honest unless you must have the angels eyes & you often drive on unlit roads then I wouldn't class xenons as essential.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
BlaznSadlz
BlaznSadlz
Rep
Drives:

the sports package sounds like a must to me because i want for comfortable fitting seats... the 128i i test drove had leather and normal seats... it was a little slidy and not very inviting to sit in for an extended period of time. i've lasted till now without heated seats but always had fabric seats .. are they more necessary with the leatherette?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaznSadlz View Post
the sports package sounds like a must to me because i want for comfortable fitting seats... the 128i i test drove had leather and normal seats... it was a little slidy and not very inviting to sit in for an extended period of time. i've lasted till now without heated seats but always had fabric seats .. are they more necessary with the leatherette?
Heated seats are bliss

I don't think leatherette makes it it more necessary to have them though.

Leatherette normal seat seem just a smidge less slip slidey as leather ones.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
BlaznSadlz
BlaznSadlz
Rep
Drives:

i meant over cloth which never gets real cold
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Coming from a cloth seated Civic, I have noticed a difference.

It's not unbareable but heated seats just takes off the edge.

Your backside will heat up the seat pretty well within a few mins anyway.

(not that I mean to make any comment on the temperature of your ass! :smile

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #21
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
If you've got an iPod and can't live w/o it - make sure you get the iPod/USB option. And the Sport Package is a must. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. The USB and sport package are the only "must haves" on the 135. For the 128, you also "must have" the xenons.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #22
BlaznSadlz
BlaznSadlz
Rep
Drives:

does the leatherette get very sticky? Does the leather make a big difference?
Appreciate 0