BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #15159
gorilla
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Just got my car back from refreshing all the suspension bits (upper mounts, bump stops, etc.).

Reused my M sport springs and paired them with Bilstein B4 Sports. Going to go for a drive later to see how they feel!
Interested to hear how they feel! Any any difference in ride height?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #15160
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
112
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla View Post
Interested to hear how they feel! Any any difference in ride height?
My preference was to always keep an OEM ride... maybe OEM+ at best.

So, after taking years to make a decision, I decided to go with Bilstein. I picked the B4 Sports. To me, the B6/B8 were not OEM and were more of an aftermarket upgrade and at the end of the day, would provide a much stiffer and/or jarring ride (compared to OEM). I was always quite happy with the way OEM suspension handled as my 1'er is my daily driver. I also think this decision to go with the B4's would be contrary to many beliefs on this forum. It doesn't seem like the B4's are very popular here.

When it comes to traditional strut & shock setup, it really seems like the most common manufacturers were Bilstein and Koni. To me, Koni wasn't the best option even though I know many members here love their Koni's. For me, having adjustability isn't an advantage as again, this is my daily driver and I want a "install & forget it" experience. So, knowing that I could adjust my shocks with the Koni Sports/Yellows, was more of a nuisance. I'm probably going to get flamed for this but this is my honest opinion based on what I know.

Anyway, I've only been riding the B4's for a day now and immediately, I love them. They have essentially restored my OEM ride which is what I expected. It might be a little bit stiffer (maybe like ~5-10%), but not too noticeable. My car feels great to drive again!!!

Ride height seems to be a tiny bit higher now. Before, I could barely have a finger gap between wheel well and tire. Now, I think I can fit an entire finger, maybe a tiny bit more. I suspect that it'll drop a little over time since it was just freshly installed. It could also be that all my mounts before were old and sagging. If it stays at this ride height, I am still happy. If it drops a little bit, back to what it was before, then even better.

Last edited by hunginator; 09-18-2020 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Address ride height
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #15161
krhodes1
Lieutenant Colonel
390
Rep
1,728
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westbrook, Maine, Port Charlotte, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Removed the clutch delay valve. SOOO much better now!

Just took it out and knocked the restrictor out with a thin screwdriver and a hammer, and put it back in. Bled the system with my Motive Bleeder.

One thing - a number of posts here and on e90Post say that the clutch bleeder is 8mm and metal. Not on either of my 2011's - both are 11mm and plastic.
__________________

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '17 VW GTI Sport, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 3
Tuxedo471.00

      09-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #15162
Mandinca
First Lieutenant
105
Rep
387
Posts

Drives: 2008 E88
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

It's been a long time since I lurked in here. Does anyone know if the headlight assembly from a 2011 E87 will fit my 2008 E88 ?
Mine is cracked, moisture got in, adaptive failed and now the condensation inside the unit has blown the bulb. I need a new headlight but I'm not paying what people are asking on ebay etc....ridiculous. I've seen some for sale from an E87 with broken tabs, which I'm ok with as long as it fits my E88.

Anyone know ?
__________________
2008 E88 N54 135i / Cashmere Silver / Beige leather / VRSF catless DP's / BMW Performance Suspension / Whiteline inserts / Aluminum charge pipe and aftermarket BOV
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #15163
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
bmw1racer's Avatar
United_States
802
Rep
3,607
Posts

Drives: '12 128i E82 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Annual oil change. Castrol Edge 0W-40. Mann filter.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Last edited by bmw1racer; 09-19-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #15164
iminhell1
C2H5OH
iminhell1's Avatar
United_States
1738
Rep
1,818
Posts

Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Darwin, MN

iTrader: (1)

Pulled the engine back out.
Pulled the turbo off.
Sent a message to the seller of the new turbo I want to try (BB PTE6766). Hoping I can either pick it up tomorrow or Saturday.

This time I'm pulling the subframe to verify things fit. Easier than putting engine in and finding out it don't fit like I want.
__________________
FBO (RB EVO inlets, Phoenix Racing 7.5" race, CP-e relocate / Tial, 1320 DP's, Berk mids, Custom E tune, XHP Stg III)
11.480 @ 121, 3,600#
2020/1: Speedtech, PTE BB 6766, 7.5"race, VTT DBBL, 2x450's, PR coils, Berk mids, E85

Last edited by iminhell1; 09-20-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
Afam28148.50
dtla1609.00

      09-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #15165
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
78
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: VW Golf/Jetta ALHs
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canmore

iTrader: (0)

Wavetrac into the diff, then diff and new bushings into the car. Now to sort out how to code out the nannies. Mechanical I like, electronic scares the bejesus out of me - time to learn .

Last edited by SKI-R; 09-20-2020 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:08 AM   #15166
Gray_Panther
Colonel
Gray_Panther's Avatar
1181
Rep
2,961
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
It's been a long time since I lurked in here. Does anyone know if the headlight assembly from a 2011 E87 will fit my 2008 E88 ?
Mine is cracked, moisture got in, adaptive failed and now the condensation inside the unit has blown the bulb. I need a new headlight but I'm not paying what people are asking on ebay etc....ridiculous. I've seen some for sale from an E87 with broken tabs, which I'm ok with as long as it fits my E88.

Anyone know ?
They fit
__________________
2012 BMW 128i 6MT Deep Sea Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #15167
iminhell1
C2H5OH
iminhell1's Avatar
United_States
1738
Rep
1,818
Posts

Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Darwin, MN

iTrader: (1)

It's just the slightest bit smaller that the Borg S366, in all the right places so far. I think this may actually work.

On the Borg I couldn't fit the turbo blanket. The waterpump fit for shit. I couldn't get the coolant hose to fit.
All of which just fit this go round.

Fingers and toes crossed.
Attached Images
 
__________________
FBO (RB EVO inlets, Phoenix Racing 7.5" race, CP-e relocate / Tial, 1320 DP's, Berk mids, Custom E tune, XHP Stg III)
11.480 @ 121, 3,600#
2020/1: Speedtech, PTE BB 6766, 7.5"race, VTT DBBL, 2x450's, PR coils, Berk mids, E85
Appreciate 3
SKI-R77.50
1and11555.50

      09-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #15168
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
124
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Replaced the original Varta battery that had been in my 2013 128i for over eight-years! I just started to get some "low voltage" warnings and the Comfort Access wouldn't work until I woke it up with the key buttons. Charging it maybe once every week-and-a-half would keep the warnings away but I broke down and replaced it with the BMW replacement which is a bit larger. I figured the Varta deserved a nice retirement!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #15169
hunginator
Lieutenant
hunginator's Avatar
Canada
112
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
My preference was to always keep an OEM ride... maybe OEM+ at best.

So, after taking years to make a decision, I decided to go with Bilstein. I picked the B4 Sports. To me, the B6/B8 were not OEM and were more of an aftermarket upgrade and at the end of the day, would provide a much stiffer and/or jarring ride (compared to OEM). I was always quite happy with the way OEM suspension handled as my 1'er is my daily driver. I also think this decision to go with the B4's would be contrary to many beliefs on this forum. It doesn't seem like the B4's are very popular here.

When it comes to traditional strut & shock setup, it really seems like the most common manufacturers were Bilstein and Koni. To me, Koni wasn't the best option even though I know many members here love their Koni's. For me, having adjustability isn't an advantage as again, this is my daily driver and I want a "install & forget it" experience. So, knowing that I could adjust my shocks with the Koni Sports/Yellows, was more of a nuisance. I'm probably going to get flamed for this but this is my honest opinion based on what I know.

Anyway, I've only been riding the B4's for a day now and immediately, I love them. They have essentially restored my OEM ride which is what I expected. It might be a little bit stiffer (maybe like ~5-10%), but not too noticeable. My car feels great to drive again!!!

Ride height seems to be a tiny bit higher now. Before, I could barely have a finger gap between wheel well and tire. Now, I think I can fit an entire finger, maybe a tiny bit more. I suspect that it'll drop a little over time since it was just freshly installed. It could also be that all my mounts before were old and sagging. If it stays at this ride height, I am still happy. If it drops a little bit, back to what it was before, then even better.
Now that I've been driving on this setup for about a week now, I am extremely pleased that I decided with the Bilstein B4 sports and quite happy that I took a long time to figure this out. Initially, I was going to get either B6 or B8 but I think those dampers would've been WAY too hard for a daily driver.

The B4 is essentially a great OEM replacement. I forgot how well my 135i drove when it was brand new...

For a lot of you who are higher mileage and haven't refreshed your suspension bits, I'd highly recommend considering the B4 Sports for your 128i or "regular" B4 for 135i.

Regular B4 for 135i because there is only one version of the B4 part number for 135i in Bilsteins catalogue. This is already the "sport" even though there's only one part number as ALL 135i's came with M-Sport suspension. LMK if you want more clarity here. Perhaps, my explanation is no good as I typed this up in a storm.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #15170
gorilla
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Now that I've been driving on this setup for about a week now, I am extremely pleased that I decided with the Bilstein B4 sports and quite happy that I took a long time to figure this out. Initially, I was going to get either B6 or B8 but I think those dampers would've been WAY too hard for a daily driver.

The B4 is essentially a great OEM replacement. I forgot how well my 135i drove when it was brand new...

For a lot of you who are higher mileage and haven't refreshed your suspension bits, I'd highly recommend considering the B4 Sports for your 128i or "regular" B4 for 135i.

Regular B4 for 135i because there is only one version of the B4 part number for 135i in Bilsteins catalogue. This is already the "sport" even though there's only one part number as ALL 135i's came with M-Sport suspension. LMK if you want more clarity here. Perhaps, my explanation is no good as I typed this up in a storm.
I was originally thinking of going Koni FSD (red) but I gotta give the b4's some thought now.

Thanks!

Last edited by gorilla; 09-24-2020 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #15171
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
78
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: VW Golf/Jetta ALHs
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canmore

iTrader: (0)

Talking

First electronic mods for me courtesy of Bimmergeeks Protools

Ediff disengaged
ALL the brake nannies disengaged


In combination with the recent Wavetrac, it should feel like a different machine at the next event!
__________________
09 128i Slicktop - TCKlines, KMac Plates, M3 RSFB, M3 RSB, Hotchkis FSB/endlinks, 1M brace, Wavetrac
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #15172
BMWWorld
Second Lieutenant
154
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PR

iTrader: (0)

So today I almost finished the e brake handle in forged carbon & aferre seeing how good it's coming along I decided to take out all the interior trim to do the same. Tomorrow I'll be doing the interior pieces, also my e brake handle & steering wheel should be done.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 1
Afam28148.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST