BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2020, 02:41 AM   #1
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Valve cover options

So I'm in the market for a new valve cover due to mine having a crack causing a leak into coil/plug #4 which caused the misfire in cyl 4(maybe). I was originally just going to go with a new stock one but I don't want this problem again so I want to upgrade. I bought the car just over a month ago with nearly 58k miles on it so I'm pretty sure this problem already existed. It was stock when I bought it but I have a feeling it wasn't always so. My guess is it had a flash at the very minimum. But my current mods are jb4, DCI, FMIC, XHP stag3 and chargepipe w/tial bov. I have downpipes too but they will be installed later now that I have to fix this first.

My question is if anyone has upgraded to one of the many brands that make aluminum valve covers, what route did you take for the PCV system? And which brand? Ill probably go with the vargas one since its fairly reasonable in terms of price and has good options. I just want to know if I buy an aftermarket cover, will it be an easy swap? What do I need to do to make the PCV system work with an aftermarket cover since the OE one is built in? Does anyone have pictures of their setup or a how to thread? I tried searching but nothing came up that I saw.

And while I'm replacing this I might as well go with an aftermarket intake manifold. Oh and single turbo. : Okay maybe later on those.

Thank you.

Not sure why these are uploading upside down but here’s the crack and the puddle of oil it’s left.
Attached Images

Last edited by Skotcoop; 01-17-2020 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Both VTT and M18 make cast aluminum VC. However, there have been increased reports of gasket blowout with the solid VC options.

They are also heavier and require full external PCV systems.

Id just buy new OE BMW from FCP Euro.
Skotcoop269.00
      01-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Both VTT and M18 make cast aluminum VC. However, there have been increased reports of gasket blowout with the solid VC options.

They are also heavier and require full external PCV systems.

Id just buy new OE BMW from FCP Euro.
Copy that. I did exactly that. Do you think their lifetime warranty covers cracked VCs? That would be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
Copy that. I did exactly that. Do you think their lifetime warranty covers cracked VCs? That would be sweet.
That's what the warranty is for. They honor it for brakes and rotors and oil.. to do the VC will be NP.
Skotcoop269.00
      01-29-2020, 04:07 AM   #5
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I replaced to valve cover. Now to track down other leaks. Ive noticed quite a few wet spots around the engine. The whole front seems to be coated in a damp dirty oily mess so I might be doing the filter housing next. Hoping its easier than doing the VC. I should plan on cleaning the intake valves since the manifold will be off for the OFH change. Also I need to start a build thread but meh, I'm not doing anything that hasn't been done.
      01-29-2020, 05:37 AM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
So I replaced to valve cover. Now to track down other leaks. Ive noticed quite a few wet spots around the engine. The whole front seems to be coated in a damp dirty oily mess so I might be doing the filter housing next. Hoping its easier than doing the VC. I should plan on cleaning the intake valves since the manifold will be off for the OFH change. Also I need to start a build thread but meh, I'm not doing anything that hasn't been done.
Spray down with cleaner and then watch for new leaks
Skotcoop269.00
      02-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

In the same situation but I think mine is OFHG. Parts are here and will DIY next weekend hopefully. Will do serpentine belt while in there, as soon as I confirm correct part#.
      02-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #8
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGtoe View Post
In the same situation but I think mine is OFHG. Parts are here and will DIY next weekend hopefully. Will do serpentine belt while in there, as soon as I confirm correct part#.
I was thinking about doing the belt when I'm ready to do OFHG as well. Not sure if I need it though.