BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

i didn't read through all the posts (just took a quick look), but why not consider camber plates from ground control or someone else? this was the reason for my getting them. now...unlimited adjustment possibilities there are other brands out there...but that was recommended to me, and i've been pretty happy with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Camber plates are not legal for SCCA Stock/Road Tire classes so we have to coax negative camber without plates or monkeying with the suspension.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

oh yeah...obvious reason. sorry...overlooked that part! didn't realize you trying to stay stock class.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Staying Stock: Yup I put on a pink tu-tu and make it happen.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

it's been years since i've ran in SCCA and I always stuck with stock as well; mainly just to avoid dealing with entering into other classes. the ground control plates say that they're "Legal for SCCA Production, Street Prepared, and also legal for BMWCCA Prepared classes" but i forget the differences between production and "stock" class. i do remember SP though. i was using a type-r back when i raced SCCA and that was always DS or GS back in the day.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=896/CA=187

so i guess they haven't changed that much. type-r is still DS, while the 1M is AS. makes sense. don't want to thread jack at all, but what's the difference between "SCCA Production" and the stock classes?

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 12-03-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

But all that classing gets changed for 2014 and 2015. The old Stock class is grandfathered for one year and all the 2013 class will have a suffix of "R" i.e. "A Stock" will be "A Stock R" or "ASR." Road Tire Classes will follow the same list as 2013, just different tires.

The Road Tire class will become official with a new classing schema.
Starting at Page 8 it gives the rundown here:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...strack-nov.pdf
At page 15 starts the Road Tire classes that come into being for 2015.

Of note minimum treadwear on tires for the classes in 2014 is 140. In 2015 it goes to a treadwear of 200. Plus the current Super Stock class is retained and allowed to run DOT approved "R" competition tires such as the Hoosier A6. The 1M will go into "B Stock." Another option is allowance to go +1 or -1 in wheel sizes. So the 1M could go to an 18" wheel (but not square).*

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask me. I have been expressing my views since it first came to light in March.

*I'm a tad unclear on the sizing. A hypothetical: Can I put an 18" wheel on the front and a 20" on the rear?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

that's nuts...things have changed a lot throughout the years. i remember things got crazy with the new evo's and sti's back in the day. don't remember details but at one point my type-r was going against wrx's and i was...wtf dude...haha. now i just tool around and go as fast as i can during track days. full suspension? SURE! camber plates? NO PROBLEM! what's that you say..."ECU Flash"? even better!!! haha

i leave all that stock classification stuff to my motorcycles. seems so much easier with motorcycles. i'm sure as sure as my knees totally go (probably sooner than later) i'll get back into scca though. i definitely miss it; just haven't done it with the 1M yet.

thanks for the info and good luck with everything!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
*I'm a tad unclear on the sizing. A hypothetical: Can I put an 18" wheel on the front and a 20" on the rear?
Given the rules, as of now it does seem that way.

Anyways, the classes seem foolish sometimes when you look at the rules. Thus, we play silly games to try and save your tires...ultimately you still end up with front tires getting chewed:

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Given the rules, as of now it does seem that way.
I want to see the exact definitions when the rule book is released. I did see a blue C7 Vette go by today. That's a mighty purdy car.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

The SEB has released notes indicating you can "mix 'n' match" wheel sizes (*I'm a tad unclear on the sizing. A hypothetical: Can I put an 18" wheel on the front and a 20" on the rear?). See the first page.
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...k-jan-solo.pdf

Last edited by mattm; 12-23-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #33
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Man that Z4M looks good.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #34
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
The SEB has released notes indicating you can "mix 'n' match" wheel sizes (*I'm a tad unclear on the sizing. A hypothetical: Can I put an 18" wheel on the front and a 20" on the rear?). Scroll to page 20.
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...strack-jan.pdf
From page 20...spells out your question pretty clear:

Quote:
Start with a vehicle that is legal in the 2013 Stock category, with any allowed optional (per Solo rules Section 12.4) wheel packages that were available from the factory (not dealer installed). You can then go up or down 1” on any wheel. If your car came with 17’s on all four corners you can run 16, 17 or 18’s up front and then 16, 17 or 18’s in the rear. So a 16” front/18” rear combo is legal as is a 18” fronts/16” rear combo.
Kinda sucks that the Z4M isn't offered with additional wheel packages. I'm limited as all get-out on wheels that are 8" in the front and 9" in the rear.

Ideally, I'd run APEX ARC8s in 17s, but they only go down to 8.5"

The E82 wheels APEX offers go to a 8"....but I'd have to run around a 20mm spacer in the rear which is no bueno.

IMO, this just makes the M Sport Packages and other type of equipment that comes with wider wheels more valuable in the game of autox....for stock at least.

Quote:
Man that Z4M looks good.
Thank you. I've always been jelly of the 1Ms since I drove one...especially since you're on R-Comps

I love it though.

I want to hold on to it for a long time...but come a couple years when I take the 128 and convert it to a STX car...I dunno how I will get out and really enjoy it.

Anyways, here is a video at the end of the year at Toledo on the airport...with old, no tread and heat cycled RS3s

Appreciate 0