BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2016, 04:02 AM   #1
Chaminda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Android integration onto a CIC drive

Hello from New zealand!
This is my first post. I have a 2009 135i with CIC 8.8 idrive

I'm very keen on running a android system via my CIC screen. There are android navigation boxes for most models but I can't seem to find one for BMW CIC.
Have a look at the video below. Thats what I want to achieve.

The unit that guy used is no longer being sold my that company (eglober)

Has anyone else installed anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

That is amazing, now that i have seen that i want that haha.

What models did you find? Can you post them and we'll see if we can suss one out that will work
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
neepertech
Enlisted Member
Rep

Looks like we start here. http://www.eglober.com/productshow.asp?/2074.html Also it looks like Alibaba is selling the same unit from other vendors as well.

*edit: Here is the forum post where the guy in the video posts his mod. http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/112379...d-integration/

Last edited by neepertech; 06-10-2016 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
I don't understand how it supports touch-screen navigation as the factory CIC screen isn't built that way. I'm guessing a screen replacement is needed also?
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
neepertech
Enlisted Member
Rep

I read that the kit the guy bought came with digitizer overlay for the current screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Looks like this is the one we need http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...838.0.0.tTpTGk

Have contacted the supplier regarding pricing. Would anyone be interested in a group buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Just got a reply, the cost is $450USD each...seems a bit steep for me, but after you think about it - its a seriously cool little device and very smart in the way it works.

IDK about anyone else, but i mainly want this to use with my JB4 as the gauge display.

Last edited by reisf; 06-12-2016 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
neepertech
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'd be interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

There are other ways to do this...I actually started a similar project, but abandoned it when I went full nexus 7 in the dash instead of CIC retrofit.

Since then I've removed the tablet, and I've got a CIC retrofit, so I'm revisiting Android integration.

You have two choices - go with a unit similar to the one posted here (which is basically a LVDS interface with integrated Android SOC), or you can go with something like the X-Car Link, which is a LVDS interface that gives you the ability to feed video to the factory screen.

I would prefer the later, and use an Android mini-pc with composite output. Not having the two devices integrated allows you to upgrade a will and provides much more flexibility.

In my quest for this - I bought a 8.8" touch screen overlay and USB touch screen interface board. They both work, but unfortunately the screen is not the right dimension for the e82 CIC display (I think it's for a X3).

Finding a touch screen overlay that fits perfectly is going to be the biggest obstacle.

There are a few here that look promising, though:

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tou...n-bmw-8.8.html

For the Android portion, something like this would work perfectly:

It has composite out, and is powered by an external adapter.

Use tasker to open JB4 mobile on boot. Could also just use a BT mouse or touchpad if you don't want to invest in the touch screen.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers

Last edited by str8shot; 06-16-2016 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:32 AM   #10
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
There are other ways to do this...I actually started a similar project, but abandoned it when I went full nexus 7 in the dash instead of CIC retrofit.

Since then I've removed the tablet, and I've got a CIC retrofit, so I'm revisiting Android integration.

You have two choices - go with a unit similar to the one posted here (which is basically a LVDS interface with integrated Android SOC), or you can go with something like the X-Car Link, which is a LVDS interface that gives you the ability to feed video to the factory screen.

I would prefer the later, and use an Android mini-pc with composite output. Not having the two devices integrated allows you to upgrade a will and provides much more flexibility.

In my quest for this - I bought a 8.8" touch screen overlay and USB touch screen interface board. They both work, but unfortunately the screen is not the right dimension for the e82 CIC display (I think it's for a X3).

Finding a touch screen overlay that fits perfectly is going to be the biggest obstacle.

There are a few here that look promising, though:

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tou...n-bmw-8.8.html

For the Android portion, something like this would work perfectly:

[img]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KODI-Fully-Loaded-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Smart-TV-BOX-Mini-PC-Media-Player-/291155420462?hash=item43ca37252e:g:GuoAAOSwQTVV7nj v[img]

It has composite out, and is powered by an external adapter.

Use tasker to open JB4 mobile on boot. Could also just use a BT mouse or touchpad if you don't want to invest in the touch screen.
Buddy i was thinking exactly the same thing - a DIY solution, however i can't seem to find a way to plug something like that into the CIC screen. Theres also the issue about being able to switch between the android PC and iDrive video inputs. Any thoughts on how to go about that?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
Buddy i was thinking exactly the same thing - a DIY solution, however i can't seem to find a way to plug something like that into the CIC screen. Theres also the issue about being able to switch between the android PC and iDrive video inputs. Any thoughts on how to go about that?
You'd need a xcarlink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-iDrive-C...4AAOSwcwhVP2fn
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
Yeah see that thing is so expensive, id rather just buy the android integration kit, then dont have to worry about finding a touch screen film or anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
Yeah see that thing is so expensive, id rather just buy the android integration kit, then dont have to worry about finding a touch screen film or anything else.

The kit you posted uses a USB connected pen to control the Android portion.

No thanks. I'd rather have a touch screen. Much more intuitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 05:07 AM   #14
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminda View Post
Hello from New zealand!
This is my first post. I have a 2009 135i with CIC 8.8 idrive

I'm very keen on running a android system via my CIC screen. There are android navigation boxes for most models but I can't seem to find one for BMW CIC.
Have a look at the video below. Thats what I want to achieve.

The unit that guy used is no longer being sold my that company (eglober)

Has anyone else installed anything similar?

how did it go?
Appreciate 0