BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

My first post!!!

I just recently picked up a 2009 E82 with 68k miles for my next daily. This is my first BMW but so far I'm liking what I find under the hood, except for all the unique bolts! The spark plugs were a little more difficult to change than my Prelude, but nothing I couldn't manage. I pulled out the air box and I'm detailing/cleaning the engine bay now. So far I love everything about the car, save the clutch...

The 1-2 shift requires rev-matching or a lot of effort to get into gear. Also, that damned clutch delay is infuriating for someone who has only owned manual cars for 30+ years. It was embarrassing going for a test drive because I felt like a novice. At least now I know the source of my grief.

This weekend I'm replacing the CDV and filling the tranny with AC/Delco friction modified synchromesh. I've been using that stuff for decades. I first put it in my Prelude with 70k miles and now it's up to 234k miles and still shifts better than a brand new WRX. I think any concerns about increased wear are a non-issue at this point. I've tried half a dozen fluids and always come back to it. The boutique brands are usually worse. Some are too thick while others are too slippery for the synchros to grab properly. Synchromesh seems to be light, but yet grabby enough to work well.

I'll know by Sunday if the synchromesh cures the reluctant shifting. I think it will. After the CDV delete, I hope it's shifting like a champ--all in time for the BMW Performance SSK I'll be installing next weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Welcome to 1Addicts! Hope she treats you well!

You should be much happier once you get that CDV out of the way
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0