BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #45
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black bmw 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
Definitely worth looking into.. Bob's the one who did my MILVs!!!!

Result was near immediate and the effects are felt in the higher end of the range.. the look on the faces on some drivers when they see it's a 128i is priceless. It isn't that expensive of a job compared to other things here.
So heard back from Bob and he thinks it'll be a good upgrade to have on it so milvs will be coming soon lmao y'all convinced me too. But he said Cobra Marty is out of stock right now so it'll probably be installed after the turbo is on it'll be great to get some before and after Dyno pulls see the difference.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8209.00
      05-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #46
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
the look on the faces on some drivers when they see it's a 128i is priceless. It isn't that expensive of a job compared to other things here.
128i sleeper club! I drive mine in the canyons daily and it's a fun car, I upgraded my suspension, got a decent set of tires and the car is totally different now. I am going to get MILVs also and am watching this turbo build closely, keep us updated @xshadowspy your stack of parts looks SICK!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 05:32 AM   #47
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

So I messaged Cobra Marty for milvs looks like its going to be a bit of a wait on them due to covid-19 the rona pretty much has a lot of things on hold but I definitely will be buying milvs when they are available I have been convinced by all you lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      05-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #48
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
128i sleeper club! I drive mine in the canyons daily and it's a fun car, I upgraded my suspension, got a decent set of tires and the car is totally different now. I am going to get MILVs also and am watching this turbo build closely, keep us updated @xshadowspy your stack of parts looks SICK!!!
Hell yeah brother suspension and tires go a long way with our cars. Tire mod lets me stay with cars double my power from a dig for a bit. But thanks man definitely will keep updating the thread everything is just slowed down with covid-19 sadly,
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:15 AM   #49
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update the thread so my fabricator said he will have the N52/N51 Turbo manifolds up for sell as soon as he's finished with my car. If you want to have a Turbo manifold after mine is done his Instagram is @jpworkz I'm hoping the car should be done June but we'll see the Rona really has slowed a lot of things.

But so far still waiting fabricator is still figuring out with his f80 customer how there going to do their cooling system for the single turbo on that car so still a wait.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #50
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Seriously considering this. I want to see how your finished product ends up.

Thanks for the update.

One question...do you lose your AC with this install like Bob's original test car?
      05-10-2020, 06:33 AM   #51
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Seriously considering this. I want to see how your finished product ends up.

Thanks for the update.

One question...do you lose your AC with this install like Bob's original test car?
Nope will not lose A/C even I thought this was the case for a long time but I even spoke to bob about this on the phone he said removing the A/C was not necessary and was a flaw in the manifold design he had no control over. But the A/C is easy to clear with a good design. Bob told me overall he didn't have much say over the first test car they could have made a good turbo kit and keep the A/C but the owner of bpc didn't want too go that route.

Bob should be making his own kit soon for sell so should start seeing some Turbo options for the N52/N51 I know I have a buddy of mine from the east coast planning on having his car be the Ginnie pig for Bob to do a kit on his. So guess we'll see should be a interesting year for the platform!

If you guys want to see another e90 N52 Turbo who's kept his A/C you can find him on Instagram @togs_N52
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #52
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sweet....Bob is only 2 hours from me. We've spoken many times. He's a great guy.

If it comes to a package, I would probably just drop the car off with him for install and dyno tuning. At least tuning if he won't be doing installs. Did he say anything about an intercooler with his kit?
      05-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #53
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet....Bob is only 2 hours from me. We've spoken many times. He's a great guy.

If it comes to a package, I would probably just drop the car off with him for install and dyno tuning. At least tuning if he won't be doing installs. Did he say anything about an intercooler with his kit?
Yeah he's definitely a cool dude! Surprised me how enthusiastic he was about our engine platform! I'm not sure the specifics on the kit he's doing since he only told me on the phone that he was in the works of something but got halted up because of the Corona virus I'd shoot him a email and ask and see.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #54
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

So hypothetically if the car were to blow up, do you have a spare block or any other plans? Or are you fully committed that this wont fail
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:46 AM   #55
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
So hypothetically if the car were to blow up, do you have a spare block or any other plans? Or are you fully committed that this wont fail
Fully committed this won't fail tbh I do have another car to daily but I really don't believe I'll blow. Bob is just advising me 10psi safe 14psi will be a race map and anymore then ehhh he's not sure. My turbo is a good size so 10psi should bring me high 300whp I believe not sure I'll see when I get it on a Dyno. But the turbo N52 is doing 12psi 400whp on a eBay turbo lol (he's upgraded to a precision since then) just fine only thing is his oil line feed busted almost caught fire. But he bought some quality lines now.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #56
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowspy View Post
Fully committed this won't fail tbh I do have another car to daily but I really don't believe I'll blow. Bob is just advising me 10psi safe 14psi will be a race map and anymore then ehhh he's not sure. My turbo is a good size so 10psi should bring me high 300whp I believe not sure I'll see when I get it on a Dyno. But the turbo N52 is doing 12psi 400whp on a eBay turbo lol (he's upgraded to a precision since then) just fine only thing is his oil line feed busted almost caught fire. But he bought some quality lines now.
I'm not even that greedy.

I would be happy with 6-7psi. Just something to "pep" the car up a little more. I think too high and the fun of driving it could be impaired.

I already have another car that weighs less and has 450+ to the wheels...so I am good!
      05-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #57
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
EBay turbo ftw 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #58
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
I mentioned similar in the first response of this thread. Glad someone was able to get through to you on such a big move trying to go to 20 and beyond. I’ll tell you, as far as longevity goes I’d be careful even going to 8 psi for the long run. If you like repairs and rebuilding and have the time and cash to do it then ok. The N51/2 is a plant made for primality for fuel economy. It sacrifices power tolerance for weight savings. Cases in point, weaker Mg/Al block, lightweight cast crank, ridiculous, jumping bean fuel economy gauge as opposed to oil temp, weaker drivelines as whole aft of the engine.
I recall reading an interview with a BMW engineer and he was asked why the N51/52 didn’t have a turbo from the factory, his answer was basically the engine cant take boost well.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      05-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #59
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

The ESS super charger does 6/6.5 PSI so I'm interested to see how it will handle double that if you do the 14. Id probably tune in increments, start with the safe numbers you know of and see what you can make, like the 6PSI, then try 8 and 10. And i mean daily at each increment for a bit, see how it goes.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2707.00
Rmtt8209.00
      05-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #60
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not even that greedy.

I would be happy with 6-7psi. Just something to "pep" the car up a little more. I think too high and the fun of driving it could be impaired.

I already have another car that weighs less and has 450+ to the wheels...so I am good!
Yeah 7psi will definitely be enough just to make it a bit faster! They guy on the eBay turbo made 313whp at 5psi 😳 already more then the ess supercharger at 6-7
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #61
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I mentioned similar in the first response of this thread. Glad someone was able to get through to you on such a big move trying to go to 20 and beyond. I’ll tell you, as far as longevity goes I’d be careful even going to 8 psi for the long run. If you like repairs and rebuilding and have the time and cash to do it then ok. The N51/2 is a plant made for primality for fuel economy. It sacrifices power tolerance for weight savings. Cases in point, weaker Mg/Al block, lightweight cast crank, ridiculous, jumping bean fuel economy gauge as opposed to oil temp, weaker drivelines as whole aft of the engine.
I recall reading an interview with a BMW engineer and he was asked why the N51/52 didn’t have a turbo from the factory, his answer was basically the engine cant take boost well.
Yeah lmao I'm definitely going to take it cautious now the plans later is to build the block maybe converted it to a closed deck some upgraded rods and pistons. But I'm see what 14psi makes on my turbo and drive it like that for at least a year see how she performs and handles it. But I'm take it easy on the spending after the turbo is finished lol and enjoy for how it'll be.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #62
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The ESS super charger does 6/6.5 PSI so I'm interested to see how it will handle double that if you do the 14. Id probably tune in increments, start with the safe numbers you know of and see what you can make, like the 6PSI, then try 8 and 10. And i mean daily at each increment for a bit, see how it goes.
Yeah I get you man I'm but I'm run 10psi for a bit to see how it is then kick it up to 14psi with the boost controller but I probably won't run 14psi daily.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:24 AM   #63
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also...I think the transmission is only good for a limited amount anyway. I read it somewhere, but don't remember the exact #'s.
      05-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #64
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also...I think the transmission is only good for a limited amount anyway. I read it somewhere, but don't remember the exact #'s.
Some years back I read similarly but don’t recall the details either. The tq rating of the manual isn’t as low as the GM unit in automatics but neither is a stout unit. Great cars but they’re built to be lighter weight, more fuel efficient and not for big power increases.
There’s a reason why ESS limits boost to under 7lbs. People have been trying to boost them for years and having little success. If it were me, I’d do the usual performance mods that have proven successful with nice increases in power and improve handling and braking and call it a day and be happy with it, a great NA sports coupe. Pretty much what you did with yours.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      05-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #65
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah 7psi will definitely be enough just to make it a bit faster! They guy on the eBay turbo made 313whp at 5psi �� already more then the ess supercharger at 6-7
You must know that a N51/2 wouldnt make close to 313 whp @ 5 lbs boost right?
N54 with stock turbos pushing 8.8lbs puts down about 260-270 to the wheels and that with optimized F/I Fueling, electronics, camming.

Last edited by N54Yankee; 05-12-2020 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #66
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah 7psi will definitely be enough just to make it a bit faster! They guy on the eBay turbo made 313whp at 5psi �� already more then the ess supercharger at 6-7
You must know that a N51/2 wouldnt make close to 313 whp @ 5 lbs boost right?
N54 with stock turbos pushing 8.8lbs puts down about 260-270 to the wheels and that with optimized F/I Fueling, electronics, camming.
You need to be careful comparing HP output between these motors. The turbocharged N54 puts out full boost pressure and torque at 1,500 RPM and tapers that down by 6,000RPM when peak HP is produced. While the supercharged N52 is the opposite nothing down low and keeps building boost until redline.

You can't look at peak boost and HP by themselves.
Appreciate 0