BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Trakk Tape review

On my ED I used Trakk tape.

I had initially bought the Griots road wrap and after seeing the bad review here I sent it back and opted to try Trakk tape. I was in a rush and the customer service was amazing. The package shipped the day I ordered it and I knew I would have it in time for my trip. I just hoped the product was half as good as the service.

I took the car from the Welt directly to the hotel and in the underground garage started to wrap it. It took me a few hours and I was happy with the results at that point. The bumper had a good amount of bubbles and that was partly due to all the curves and partly due to me getting tired and just wanting it done. I had started mid hood and done the fenders and those were done really well. I wrapped the hood and each fender separately tucking the tape into the gaps and around the headlights.

The car sat two nights before being driven. I drove over 1400 kms with the tape on the car and during that drive I went through some of the heaviest rain I have ever experienced in my entire life. I also spent most of the time on the Autobahn cruising 100-110 mph, hitting tops of 140. the hood had also gotten immensely hot. I was somewhat surprised how hot it would get and after hours of sitting would still be hot (never noticed that with 3.5 years of 135 ownership). The tape actually seemed very soft at those times, it would have peeled off easily had I tried.

When I reached the port I peeled the tape off almost in one big intact piece (one for the hood, one on each fender, and one for the bumper). The car was pristine!! There was ZERO residue, it literally looked as it had the moment I picked it up at the Welt. The car was so clean that I didnt even need to wash it to drop it off. I literally just drove to the drop off point and signed the paperwork.

There were portions underneath that water had seeped in and the tape was wet, but the car itself was dry. This was not a flaw of the material but more my imperfect application technique, again it was on the front bumper. There were some edges that the tape slightly had started to lift, but it was slight and not a single piece appeared to be separating from the wrap. I did press down wherever I noticed lifting as I stopped at gas stations or eateries, in the end it made no difference.

All in all I am happy, more than I expected to be. Definitely a product I would recommend and use again. If I decide to drive home from PCD I will be re-wrapping the car with Trakk tape. Words cant express how I felt looking at a perfectly clean car after peeling the tape.

The effort to wrap it might not be worth it if you are driving short distances. In Germany the roads are not like here you can get away without using it (depends how picky you want to be). I wouldnt drive cross country in the US without it though.

Last edited by Papethova; 09-21-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Great news! I'm glad it held up sooo well. Which roll did you purchase and how much of it did you actually use? Would you recommended pricking the bubbles with an xacto knife and working them out? Thank you for the review.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Some POST pics, just after removal
Attached Images

Last edited by Papethova; 10-10-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Great news! I'm glad it held up sooo well. Which roll did you purchase and how much of it did you actually use? Would you recommended pricking the bubbles with an xacto knife and working them out? Thank you for the review.
I had one 6 inch and one 3 inch. I used the 6 inch to cover the large area on the hood and fenders. I used a combination of 6 and 3 on the front bumper.

I used maybe 75% of the 6 inch roll and 30% of the 3 inch roll. Its hard to gauge but definitely more than half on the 6 and less than half on the 3.

I considered pricking the bubbles but I decided not to for various reasons...

1. I didnt care about the look of it, it was temporary (purpose over aesthetics)

2. I didnt want to risk touching the clear coat with the tip of the blade

3. I was tired of crouching in a public garage doing the wrap, I was in Munich and it was past dinner time.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Thanks for the info, we have a track day coming up so i just ordered a roll.

WB
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
In Germany the roads are not like here you can get away without using it (depends how picky you want to be). I wouldnt drive cross country in the US without it though.
Awesome review.

Could you elaborate on the above statement? Are German highways and streets generally cleaner than those in the US? Less bugs in the air?
      09-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
On my ED I used Trakk tape.

I had initially bought the Griots road wrap and after seeing the bad review here I sent it back and opted to try Trakk tape. I was in a rush and the customer service was amazing. The package shipped the day I ordered it and I knew I would have it in time for my trip. I just hoped the product was half as good as the service.

I took the car from the Welt directly to the hotel and in the underground garage started to wrap it. It took me a few hours and I was happy with the results at that point. The bumper had a good amount of bubbles and that was partly due to all the curves and partly due to me getting tired and just wanting it done. I had started mid hood and done the fenders and those were done really well. I wrapped the hood and each fender separately tucking the tape into the gaps and around the headlights.

The car sat two nights before being driven. I drove over 1400 kms with the tape on the car and during that drive I went through some of the heaviest rain I have ever experienced in my entire life. I also spent most of the time on the Autobahn cruising 100-110 mph, hitting tops of 140. the hood had also gotten immensely hot. I was somewhat surprised how hot it would get and after hours of sitting would still be hot (never noticed that with 3.5 years of 135 ownership). The tape actually seemed very soft at those times, it would have peeled off easily had I tried.

When I reached the port I peeled the tape off almost in one big intact piece (one for the hood, one on each fender, and one for the bumper). The car was pristine!! There was ZERO residue, it literally looked as it had the moment I picked it up at the Welt. The car was so clean that I didnt even need to wash it to drop it off. I literally just drove to the drop off point and signed the paperwork.

There were portions underneath that water had seeped in and the tape was wet, but the car itself was dry. This was not a flaw of the material but more my imperfect application technique, again it was on the front bumper. There were some edges that the tape slightly had started to lift, but it was slight and not a single piece appeared to be separating from the wrap. I did press down wherever I noticed lifting as I stopped at gas stations or eateries, in the end it made no difference.

All in all I am happy, more than I expected to be. Definitely a product I would recommend and use again. If I decide to drive home from PCD I will be re-wrapping the car with Trakk tape. Words cant express how I felt looking at a perfectly clean car after peeling the tape.

The effort to wrap it might not be worth it if you are driving short distances. In Germany the roads are not like here you can get away without using it (depends how picky you want to be). I wouldnt drive cross country in the US without it though.
Thanks for taking the time for the review. I will need some of that stuff when I go cone-racing. : )
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Awesome review.

Could you elaborate on the above statement? Are German highways and streets generally cleaner than those in the US? Less bugs in the air?
Its not only that the roadways are cleaner, they are maintained better. In addition to that you dont have trucks dropping gravel or debris onto the road. One thing I want to mention, I drove through various zones of road work. The roadway was clean, unlike here where its like driving through a gravel pit. I cant say that I heard a single piece of gravel rattling around under the car.

As far as the bugs go, I get more bugs in 4hrs of countryside driving here than I did over 4 days of country driving there (all in all 10 hrs roughly). I hadnt applied the tape to protect from bugs though, I was more worried about gravel/stones being kicked up from the roadway or falling from trucks carrying a load.

The tape was covered in bugs and whatever else, not much but definitely something
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its not only that the roadways are cleaner, they are maintained better. In addition to that you dont have trucks dropping gravel or debris onto the road. One thing I want to mention, I drove through various zones of road work. The roadway was clean, unlike here where its like driving through a gravel pit. I cant say that I heard a single piece of gravel rattling around under the car.

As far as the bugs go, I get more bugs in 4hrs of countryside driving here than I did over 4 days of country driving there (all in all 10 hrs roughly). I hadnt applied the tape to protect from bugs though, I was more worried about gravel/stones being kicked up from the roadway or falling from trucks carrying a load.
I had the same experience from two weeks in Europe, got to San Diego and feel like I'm driving in a third world country.....yes I have driven in a third world country.

Also, the car culture for the most part different. People tend to pay more attention to driving. For the most part they move over promptly. It has been a tough adjustment to here with people parked chatting on cell phones at 55 mph in the 65 mph fast lane. Not moving over...ever, etc.

It IS more stressful driving there. The roads are narrower and people drive a little quicker. I think the narrow roads, weird intersections and lights force you to pay more attention. Our roads are built wide and allow you to sleep while driving.

I have been in San Diego most of my life and I can't believe how bad the roads have gotten. Potholes everywhere, debris, etc. Don't want to get into politics, truly....but we need to address our infrastructure.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
I also spent most of the time on the Autobahn cruising 100-110 mph, hitting tops of 140. the hood had also gotten immensely hot. I was somewhat surprised how hot it would get and after hours of sitting would still be hot (never noticed that with 3.5 years of 135 ownership).
Thx for the review, A-. On your comment about the hood being very hot on the 1///M relative to your 135i - it is probably because you had the interior hood insulation in your 135i (which interestingly enough not all 135i's seem to have come with). There definiely is a difference in temps with and without it. It doesn't weigh that much, but I guess BMW felt any amount of weight reduction is a win, even though I can't imagine it weighs more than 5lbs! Some folks are reusing theirs off the 135i.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Thx for the review, A-. On your comment about the hood being very hot on the 1///M relative to your 135i - it is probably because you had the interior hood insulation in your 135i (which interestingly enough not all 135i's seem to have come with). There definiely is a difference in temps with and without it. It doesn't weigh that much, but I guess BMW felt any amount of weight reduction is a win, even though I can't imagine it weighs more than 5lbs! Some folks are reusing theirs off the 135i.
Hood insulation keeps heat in, without, the hood can radiate more heat away from engine, radiator, intercooler and oil cooler. It is basically a blanket over the engine. Heat rises so letting warm air radiate off the hood can help a bit. If you put a blanket there, it has nowhere to go except down which is opposite of convection currents.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Hood insulation keeps heat in, without, the hood can radiate more heat away from engine, radiator, intercooler and oil cooler. It is basically a blanket over the engine. Heat rises so letting warm air radiate off the hood can help a bit. If you put a blanket there, it has nowhere to go except down which is opposite of convection currents.
BUT the insulation would insulate the hood itself from the heat. Ill have to check my 135, but it makes sense the hood would be cooler if insulated.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

My addition

Took my 1M to the track last Friday. Amazing time but more on that some other time. I didn't have time to get the permanent paint protection installed prior to the track day so went to trakk tape site. order shipped very fast.

I ordered one 6" roll and cut into 3" strips where needed (bumper etc..) took me about two hours. I did a horrible job with installation. Lots of bubbles and wrinkles and a new respect for those that do this professionally. But covered the nose, fenders, half the hood, rear fender leading edge. About half the roll. It stayed on great for the entire track day. No pealing at all. It caught all the grime, dirt, bugs etc and protected perfectly. I removed it while filling up the gas tank at the end of the day. And it was amazing. Came off in less than 5 minutes. Clean no residue easy off leaving pristine finish underneath.

I will use thus stuff again for sure. Great temporary paint protection.

J
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BUT the insulation would insulate the hood itself from the heat. Ill have to check my 135, but it makes sense the hood would be cooler if insulated.
Yes, but I thougth his point was that it would only save 5 lbs so he didn't understand why they didn't put it on...BUT yes, the insulation would help cool the hood. I hope over time it doesn't bake the paint off like the old Honda Accords, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

guys, apologies for a small OT moment.

I haven't seen a 1M in person nor a VO in the shade in pics either.

Does the VO appear different in light and in shade?

it looks deeper in the pics above and quite nice.

Nice car, once again.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
apexdc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise (former 540i owner

Hey, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the support you guys have given me in my little business.

You have a shared passion for a great car and I'm happy to have been able to help protect those suckers while you use them as they were intended to be used.

Rest assured I will make every effort to get your orders out as quickly as possible!

Recently, on a really tight time frame, the question came up of the address of the US delivery center. If anyone has that address and will email it to me at info@trakktape.com, I will keep it on file. Then, if time is REALLY tight, I can ship directly to the center and your order will be there with your car.

I hope you all have a great Christmas season and thanks again for using TrakkTape!!

Last edited by apexdc; 12-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: brain fade
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
apexdc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty racer View Post
Took my 1M to the track last Friday. Amazing time but more on that some other time. I didn't have time to get the permanent paint protection installed prior to the track day so went to trakk tape site. order shipped very fast.

I ordered one 6" roll and cut into 3" strips where needed (bumper etc..) took me about two hours. I did a horrible job with installation. Lots of bubbles and wrinkles and a new respect for those that do this professionally. But covered the nose, fenders, half the hood, rear fender leading edge. About half the roll. It stayed on great for the entire track day. No pealing at all. It caught all the grime, dirt, bugs etc and protected perfectly. I removed it while filling up the gas tank at the end of the day. And it was amazing. Came off in less than 5 minutes. Clean no residue easy off leaving pristine finish underneath.

J
Funny about the bubbles. I was in a rush recently to get to a two day track event and didn't do the best job of installing the tape. An engineering friend pointed out that the bubbles probably give an extra level of protection.

Crappy as it might look, he might just be right.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Actually, it gets easier after a few applications. Don't use pieces longer than three to four feet or so. Don't try to apply from the roll. Cut the piece off and apply it. Use the applicator and push away from you, sort of into the tape. That works pretty well. Otherwise, see above extra protection of bubbles!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Can you tell me where you bought the Trakk tape?

Thanks.

IB
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Can you tell me where you bought the Trakk tape?

Thanks.

IB
drum roll.........

http://www.trakktape.com/

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty racer View Post

J
My experience exactly on my track day last week, great product.

WB
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

I used this to protect my 1M on the trip from SC to STL. I got a bit lazy and got some creases in the tape. This caused the tape to lift from the air getting underneath it and some buffeting occured and as a result, I got home with some minor paint marring. Some light polish took it all out and I am 100% at fault but just wanted to make people aware so they don't make the same mistake. The areas where I applied the tape correctly remained flawless after I peeled it off.

It works as advertised, plenty of rock chips avoided!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
apexdc
United_States
Rep

THANKS! (and a good deal from TrakkTape)

OK, OK, OK!

Since you guys (and girls) are some of my best customers, the next 6x600' roll of TrakkTape sold to 1addicts.com will be $100 + 12 for shipping. First person to send $112 to my PayPal account, duczupa@gmail.com will get this price. This is not available through www.trakktape.com. In fact, without the Racers Net discount code to drop it to $120, this roll is normally $145.

Be sure to include your shipping address and that you are from 1addicts.

Thanks for the support!

Appreciate 0