BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
New car -- should I wax?

Hey guys, got my car 3 weeks ago and I've been washing it weekly. However, I'm wondering if maybe I should do a complete wash/clay/seal/wax right now, or if the dealership would have already done it. Seems to get dirty pretty quick and doesn't feel THAT smooth so not really sure if they detailed it, but I seem to think they didn't to save on costs...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

they probably did wax it...but with a cheap wax that probably almost completely lost its protective qualities by now. sounds like a great way to spend some time this weekend. i just picked my 135i up on Tuesday and already have it properly protected.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

You can always wax it with a hard carnuba. I'm going to wax mine once it gets into the US, the paint and clearcoat will have plenty of time to fully cure

I don't claybar unless it's looking crappy after a wash and wax.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

do it...it will give you time to enjoy the curves

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

New cars are often exposed to a lot of conditions and often are on trains where they collect rail dust. Additionally dealerships generally don't do the paint any favors with their "care". I would highly recommend protecting the surface with a sealant or wax at a minimum. Ideally I would wash/dry/clay bar/ light polish or paintwork cleanser/sealant and/or wax. Those are the steps I do for a full detail on a new car for best results. If you need any product suggestions or detailing advice please let me know I'd be happy to help or you can check out our Detailing Guide.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
dkommor
Mindful
Rep
Drives: 2009 128 Coupe AW

New car cleaning

After I picked up my car, all I did was wash and seal using Klasse sealant. After sealing make certain that you use a quick detailer like Meguiars and the car will look incredible. I also spent some time applying wheel wax and it really helps with the brake dust. The car really didn't need clay when I first got it but I will doing the clay, polish (Menzerna PO85) and Klasse sealant at the end of the summer. Good luck with the car and enjoy every driving moment.

David
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I've been looking at detailing guides and information here and there, sort of learning as I go. My cousin used to work at BMW detailing cars, and he owns all the appropriate equipment (buffers, etc.) which I have access to.

To be completely honest though, the thought of taping, polishing (do I even need to?), sealing, and waxing my car leaves me feeling a bit nervous. I don't want to damage my paint or do a half-assed job of it. Not only that, but I don't have a garage and if I apply a sealant, I assume it needs 8 hours to cure in the shade and away from dust, pollen, leaves, etc. (stop me if I'm wrong).

That having been said, I'm thinking about going to pick up a cheap wax and clay bar and try the whole process out on my brother's clunker (my old car) as a first run. I remember claying my cousin's car a while back and watched him polish/wax with the orbital buffer, so maybe it'll come back to me.

Any recommendations for a good wax under $100 (for my car)? What about a sealant? My 1er is Monaco Blue.

Thanks for your help guys. I don't mean to ask questions that can be answered by "reading guides" but sometimes some more personalized answers can help, as there are SO many products and often ways of doing things that it can get overwhelming!

Last edited by supraking; 07-15-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post
You can always wax it with a hard carnuba. I'm going to wax mine once it gets into the US, the paint and clearcoat will have plenty of time to fully cure

I don't claybar unless it's looking crappy after a wash and wax.
My car came from Germany to Australia, on a boat for 18 months. After driving for 3 weeks, there are already lots of deposit on the paint work.

I had to clay bar it and put some wax on. I use Autoglym coz I have been using them for many years. I now have 2 orbitor, one large 10" doing slow revs and one 5" with speed 600 to 3000rpm. I can use Zaino....
      07-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
New cars are often exposed to a lot of conditions and often are on trains where they collect rail dust. Additionally dealerships generally don't do the paint any favors with their "care". I would highly recommend protecting the surface with a sealant or wax at a minimum. Ideally I would wash/dry/clay bar/ light polish or paintwork cleanser/sealant and/or wax. Those are the steps I do for a full detail on a new car for best results. If you need any product suggestions or detailing advice please let me know I'd be happy to help or you can check out our Detailing Guide.

Greg @ DI
+1.

Dealers in general do not do a very good job. Protecting your pride and joy from day 1 is recommeded. I did a proper detail on the day I brought it home. The stuff I picked up with the clay bar was just astonishing. If you are going to polish at all then I would highly recommend using a clay bar as well in your steps as any contaminant left on the car when you start your polishing step could lead to further scratches. Once done you can then sit back and enjoy your car with nothing more than a simple wash once a week and wax/sealant top up every month.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I called a local detailing shop about a 3-step glaze, and they said "oh it's only a month old? you don't need to polish it, just wax it."

I'm going to wax it myself next week. Any recommendations on a good quality wax from Detailed Image? I don't mind spending $100 if it's going to make a NOTICEABLE difference from a $50 wax or a $25 wax. So shoot me your recommendations! (Again, car is Monaco Blue)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Get the ultimate show car kit from Zaino. It will protect and seal your paint.

zainostore.com
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

Spending more money on a wax works by placebo effect. I've detailed our show cars with turtle wax platinum/emerald series. Just rinse it with the hose, wash it with a bucket bull of car wash solution (cap full + half a bucket of water), sheet off the water with an open ended hose, blow it off with a leaf blower and dry it with some dry terrycloth towels. Then apply a paste carnuba wax to a panel and hand buff, using 1 cloth to remove most of the paste and another to finish buffing. You can use cloth diapers or microfiber for this.

Finish detailing with a tooth pick and some canned air. Use some zymol on the leather and dash.
Appreciate 0