BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

About done with HLT...I need something *straightforward* to use...

From HLT documentation...

"LapTimer is designed to support “out of the box” and easy to use video recording and overlaying"

Um...No. It isn't. At least on Android. I just spent an hour trying to do it and I am no dummy when it comes to technology. It feels like I am working with a 10 year old interface...

I have to manually put the files in HLT's preferred video directory before it "sees" them?

HLT can only try to move files via WIFI to the *internal* storage on my tablet but not the SD card (so, I can't move anything via WIFI as the internal storage is small).

There is no easy way to determine which file you manually move (it breaks them into 4GB pieces) is linked to the lap you want to preview? You have to link it, then reaize the video has nothing to do with the lap you are looking at? (isn't the video AND HLT data timestamped?)

No "undo" function for the linking process?

This is too hard unless i am missing something (and the youtube videos I have found haven't really helped). About to get a Virb or something else and be done with it. I just want to:

Put the camera, OBDII transmitter, external mic, and GPS device in/on the car. Power them all up (is it too much to ask for them to remember to connect to each other?), do my laps, then be able to preview and edit seemlessly when I am done. Does anything do that?

Sorry for the rant...just frustrated at how clunky the HLT process is.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
From HLT documentation...

"LapTimer is designed to support “out of the box” and easy to use video recording and overlaying"

Um...No. It isn't. At least on Android. I just spent an hour trying to do it and I am no dummy when it comes to technology. It feels like I am working with a 10 year old interface...

I have to manually put the files in HLT's preferred video directory before it "sees" them?

HLT can only try to move files via WIFI to the *internal* storage on my tablet but not the SD card (so, I can't move anything via WIFI as the internal storage is small).

There is no easy way to determine which file you manually move (it breaks them into 4GB pieces) is linked to the lap you want to preview? You have to link it, then reaize the video has nothing to do with the lap you are looking at? (isn't the video AND HLT data timestamped?)

No "undo" function for the linking process?

This is too hard unless i am missing something (and the youtube videos I have found haven't really helped). About to get a Virb or something else and be done with it. I just want to:

Put the camera, OBDII transmitter, external mic, and GPS device in/on the car. Power them all up (is it too much to ask for them to remember to connect to each other?), do my laps, then be able to preview and edit seemlessly when I am done. Does anything do that?

Sorry for the rant...just frustrated at how clunky the HLT process is.
I use the internal camera and a 10hz GPS module and have had great success with it. That's a lot of devices that all need to have a stable connection, function properly and you're asking a lot of the device too.

Maybe simplify the setup and just run the GPS sensor and external camera? The mic seems like overkill.

Or get an Aim solo.
      05-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I use the internal camera and a 10hz GPS module and have had great success with it. That's a lot of devices that all need to have a stable connection, function properly and you're asking a lot of the device too.

Maybe simplify the setup and just run the GPS sensor and external camera? The mic seems like overkill.

Or get an Aim solo.
Fair enough. But the mic worked fine... I think the part that is probably the deal breaker is the lack of 1:1 correspondence between HLT Laps and the camera 4GB files (which I imagine is a file system limitation).

I agree about too many devices...which is why the Virb Ultra 30 is appealing.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post

Or get an Aim solo.
Fair enough. But the mic worked fine... I think the part that is probably the deal breaker is the lack of 1:1 correspondence between HLT Laps and the camera 4GB files (which I imagine is a file system limitation).

I agree about too many devices...which is why the Virb Ultra 30 is appealing.
Yeah too bad the smarty cam is so expensive and we all know hardware becomes irrelevant after 2yrs
      05-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Ordered a Virb...I'll report back how it goes...

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So much easier to use and edit...I'm sold!
Appreciate 2
John_01232.00
      07-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #7
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

AndyW Nice driving and smooth inputs.

Love the information captured on your video, especially braking + throttle + G forces + engine load + engine temp + intake temp …

Can you tell me how you integrate the all the telemetry onto your videos - R U using media editing software to combine OBD parameters and the VIRB captures?

I'm really interested in least hassles possible, and quickest editing possible. Im a HPDE instructor and having tools like this would be wonderful and make my job way easier. Ive done a few videos with added vocal narrative, and I was planning to also overlay footage of my heal and toe with a 2nd camera eventually…

Would be great if you could post a grocery list of your device make and models here. I got frustrated with HLT too, and stopped using it a while ago.
List of devices:
  • Qstarz BT-Q818 XT 10Hz external Bluetooth GPS
  • Bluetooth OBD2 knock-off dongle
  • Samsung S5 phone
  • HP EliteBook 840 Laptop
  • Microsoft MovieMaker software.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 07-06-2018 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
AndyW Nice driving and smooth inputs.

Love the information captured on your video, especially braking + throttle + G forces + engine load + engine temp + intake temp …

Can you tell me how you integrate the all the telemetry onto your videos - R U using media editing software to combine OBD parameters and the VIRB captures?

I'm really interested in least hassles possible, and quickest editing possible. Im a HPDE instructor and having tools like this would be wonderful and make my job way easier. Ive done a few videos with added vocal narrative, and I was planning to also overlay footage of my heal and toe with a 2nd camera eventually…

Would be great if you could post a grocery list of your device make and models here. I got frustrated with HLT too, and stopped using it a while ago.
List of devices:
  • Qstarz BT-Q818 XT 10Hz external Bluetooth GPS
  • Bluetooth OBD2 knock-off dongle
  • Samsung S5 phone
  • HP EliteBook 840 Laptop
  • Microsoft MovieMaker software.
All you need is a Virb Ultra 30 (or even as old as a Virb Elite) and an OBDII dongle to get the data that you saw. The Virb natively collects telemetry/GPS and Bluetooth syncs with the dongle. Then you plug the camera into your PC and use the Virb Edit software to import the video and associated telemetry file (this is one thing, essentially drag and drop) to edit your video and pick which overlays you want. I then render to a file with the Virb Edit software and import that file into Cyberlink Powerdirector to do cuts/fades/text overlays, but any video editing software can do that basic stuff. I love the simplicity of just pressing (or saying....Ultra 30 is voice activated) record/stop at the track as my only interaction with the recording setup. I will say the only downside is that the Virb ultra goes thru batteries pretty quick (about an hour if you leave the camera on). But that is reasonable, given that the camera does everything. HTH.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

AndyW

Thanks again. Other thing of beauty is the quality of the audio in your footage. R U using an external MIC?
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
AndyW

Thanks again. Other thing of beauty is the quality of the audio in your footage. R U using an external MIC?
Yes, using an external mic routed out the trunk with a furry cover. Gonna try a BT mic next time, strapped near the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Now have three cameras...PIP is so easy with the VIRBs. Simply import all the videos from each camera with Virb Edit. Now when you click on "create video" and put your first video clip on the timeline, Virb Edit is smart enough to tell you that "I found more videos with similar times, do you want to make a multi-angle video?". Click Yes. Everything related gets put into the timeline. Love it.

Also tried the BT mic (Jabra Extreme) vice the hardwired mic near the exhaust. Still a lot of wind noise. Going to experiment with placement more.

Here are a couple of my best laps from Friday with the new camera setup and the new overlays.

Appreciate 0