E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lexus Build & Price is up

10-19-2005, 07:04 PM   #23
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I just built a lexus, then built a 330

optioned with metallic paint, bluetooth, factory sat radio (not available on the lexus website) 40,700

IS350
optioned with some 5000 package with navi (only way to get bluetooth)

for the cars to be optioned the way I want them the BMW costs no more dollars than the lexus

why the heck would anyone buy a lexus if it's not even cheaper??
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #24
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I just built a lexus, then built a 330

optioned with metallic paint, bluetooth, factory sat radio (not available on the lexus website) 40,700

IS350
optioned with some 5000 package with navi (only way to get bluetooth)

for the cars to be optioned the way I want them the BMW costs no more dollars than the lexus

why the heck would anyone buy a lexus if it's not even cheaper??
Ok, so they are optioned the way you require. But you are adding $5000 to the Lexus to get bluetooth and then complaining they cost the same.

That $5000 gets you a lot a lot more than what the BMW has. Doesn't matter if you aren't interested in those options, the BMW isn't equal in price at equivalent option levels.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #25
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

The Lexus IS350 gives you a ton more standard features than the 330i for the same price.....one little example, Coach Leather is standard...not $1,500 option.
      10-19-2005, 11:00 PM   #26
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
The Lexus IS350 gives you a ton more standard features than the 330i for the same price.....one little example, Coach Leather is standard...not $1,500 option.
Coach leather? I've heard of Coach edt. Lexus cars, but that's just another marketing ploy to get you to buy one of their out of style cars. Leather is leather, wherever it comes from.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #27
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
Coach leather? I've heard of Coach edt. Lexus cars, but that's just another marketing ploy to get you to buy one of their out of style cars. Leather is leather, wherever it comes from.
I wouldn't buy the car......but I've seen and driven it....
Pretty awesome car.....like I said....lots of standard features and gadgets....
      10-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #28
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
I prefer the E90 exterior and the IS interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #29
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
... Leather is leather, wherever it comes from.

Not true.

They are many types of leather.
Do some research if you'd like or you can trust me on this one.

Coach's leather is a higher grade leather due to the way it was made.
There could also be a different grade of leather for the car seat then say a purse or a handbag due to the wear factor from your tush.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #30
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
the only fault a lexus has is that its not a bmw
      10-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #31
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Upon comparing standard and optional features,
these are the things that I noticed:

IS350 pros ($35,440):
Lumbar standard
Power adjustable steering wheel
Automatic transmission standard (which is good, if you drive an auto)
Optional seat memory is for 3 drivers, not 2
Compass standard
Audible alarm standard
6-disc in dash changer
Ventilated seats available

330i Pros ($36,600)
Available Manual transmission (not an option on the IS350)
Xenon headlights standard
Seat Memory standard
Power folding exterior mirrors
Beverage cooler
Wood trim standard (Optional on IS350)

Some of this information may be incorrect,
it is based on edmunds.com,
so don't blame me for any errors

The one thing I did notice about the Lexus,
is that their packages are extremely overpriced,
and range from ~$2500-$7,000!

Last edited by Nikki; 10-22-2005 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #32
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclay
True, but the site is called "E90 post" not "any damn car you feel like talking about post".
Well we can compare it to the E90 then it's all good!
      10-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #33
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueStreak
Ok, so they are optioned the way you require. But you are adding $5000 to the Lexus to get bluetooth and then complaining they cost the same.

That $5000 gets you a lot a lot more than what the BMW has. Doesn't matter if you aren't interested in those options, the BMW isn't equal in price at equivalent option levels.
but to get the option I care about, bluetooth, I only have to spend 750 at the bmw store

I have to spend 5000 at the lexus store, sure I get other things with it, but I don't want to pay for them. By packaging the options lexus has eliminated it's pricing advantage which is just about the only advantage it has to begin with
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #34
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I believe Lexus might be offering these options as stand-alone ones. Similar to how Audi followed this trend for their new A4.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #35
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

...the site is called "E90 post" not "any damn car you feel like talking about post
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't know that I agree. BMW undoubtedly monitors web sites such as this so it is good that they see both positive and negative comments about the E90 cars. They do probably scratch their heads and chuckle over comparisons between BMW and similarly priced Lexus models, however since comparisons between Lexus and Benz are more appropriate by far. On the other hand I hope BMW realizes that Infinity is catching up fast!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #36
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Lexus Advantages from Lexus.com
http://www.lexus.com/models/comparison/is.html

Lexus IS350-----BMW 330i

MSRP*: $35,440-----$36,600
Base Engine Displacement: 3.5 liters-----3.0 liters
Horsepower: 306 hp @ 6400 rpm-----255 hp @ 6600 rpm
Torque: 277 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm-----220 ft-lbs. @ 2750 rpm
Spare: temporary steel-----Not Available [Yeah because it has runflats!]
Upholstery Type: leather-----leatherette[The Lexus' standard seats are leather trimmed, not leather, liars!]
Driver Seat Power Adjustable: 10-----8
Driver Seat Lumbar Support: Standard-----Optional
Driver Seat Ventilated: Optional-----Not Available
Rear Center Armrest: folding with storage and pass-thru-----folding
Power Steering: electric speed-proportional power steering -----speed-proportional power steering [???]
Cruise Control on Steering Wheel: Standard-----Not Available [It isn't?]
Transmission Control on Steering Wheel: Standard-----Not Available
Multi-function remote: hands-free multi-function remote with keyless ignition-----multi-function remote
Universal Remote Transmitter: Standard-----Optional
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror: electrochromatic-----electrochromatic - Optional
Memory Number of Drivers: 3 -Optional-----2 [The BMW has memory standard, but the Lexus has more optional, so Lexus has the advantage?]
Memory Passenger Seat: Optional-----Not Available
Memory Steering Wheel: Optional-----Not Available
Compass: Standard-----Optional
Electroluminescent Instrumentation: Standard-----Not Available [???]
Pre-collision Safety System: Optional-----Not Available[???]
Brakes - Front: ventilated disc 13.15 in. diameter 1.2 in. width-----ventilated disc 13 in. diameter .9 in. width
Knee airbags: dual front-----Not Available
Rear View Backup Camera: Optional-----Not Available
Parking Assist: front and rear parking sensors - Optional-----rear parking sensors - Optional
Anti-Theft Alarm System: remote anti-theft alarm system-----Not Available [No alarm available on the BMW? Liars!]
Rolling Code Security: rolling code remote-----rolling code key[???]
CD In-Dash: 6 CD player-----single CD player [I like how I can put 6 CDs onto an MP3 CD and not have to worry about it shuffling through 6 CDs ]
Stereo system-Watts: 194-----Not Available [The BMW doesn't have watts, or they don't have the info yet? Doesn't matter, Lexus has the advantage, lol]
Antenna Type: element-----diversity [uhm, Lexus wins?]
Premium Brand Speakers(Optional): Mark Levinson-----Not Available [Oh so I guess since the BMW comes with the upgraded Logic-7 system standard then Lexus wins on their optional stereo system]
CD In-Dash: 6 CD player-----Not Available [That's a little redundant, plus it is misleading because it makes it seem like the BMW doesn't have any CD player in dash]
Radio Data System: Available-----Not Available
Total Number of Speakers: 14-----Not Available [Lexus wins because BMW doesn't have any speakers!]
Subwoofers: 1-----Not Available[Obviosuly Lexus wins because if the BMW doesn't have any speakers, it doesn't have a sub!]
Watts: 300-----Not Available[BMW doesn't have an optional system, so Lexus wins!]
Antenna Type: element-----Not Available [BMW doesn't have an optional antenna, so Lexus wins again!]
Wireless Data Link for Navigation System: Bluetooth - Optional-----Not Available [???]

These are the comparison features from lexus.com that stated Lexus Advantage.
Now this really pisses me off, because they are such liars.
They claim they have an advantage on things that are preference,
or things that they say the BMW has optional, or unavailable when it actually has it.
A lot of the information is dead wrong, and they say they have an advantage.
I think it would be funny to go through everything and put a bmw logo next to everything where BMW has the advantage.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #37
jomamma
Rep
n/a
Drives:

rel·a·tiv·i·ty

Quote:
True, but the site is called "E90 post" not "any damn car you feel like talking about post".
If the E90 was the only car on the planet we wouldn't need this web site. We need to compare/contrast brands to be OBJECTIVE. Not a bunch of e90 zombies that are brand whores. People like you ruin intelligent dialog; you should probably ignore posts where you join just to bash people...

rel·a·tiv·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rl-tv-t)
n.
The quality or state of being relative.
A state of dependence in which the existence or significance of one entity is solely dependent on that of another.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #38
jomamma
Rep
n/a
Drives:

ACCOUNTANT MARKETING...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Lexus Advantages from Lexus.com
http://www.lexus.com/models/comparison/is.html

Lexus IS350-----BMW 330i

MSRP*: $35,440-----$36,600
Base Engine Displacement: 3.5 liters-----3.0 liters
Horsepower: 306 hp @ 6400 rpm-----255 hp @ 6600 rpm
Torque: 277 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm-----220 ft-lbs. @ 2750 rpm
Spare: temporary steel-----Not Available [Yeah because it has runflats!]
Upholstery Type: leather-----leatherette[The Lexus' standard seats are leather trimmed, not leather, liars!]
Driver Seat Power Adjustable: 10-----8
Driver Seat Lumbar Support: Standard-----Optional
Driver Seat Ventilated: Optional-----Not Available
Rear Center Armrest: folding with storage and pass-thru-----folding
Power Steering: electric speed-proportional power steering -----speed-proportional power steering [???]
Cruise Control on Steering Wheel: Standard-----Not Available [It isn't?]
Transmission Control on Steering Wheel: Standard-----Not Available
Multi-function remote: hands-free multi-function remote with keyless ignition-----multi-function remote
Universal Remote Transmitter: Standard-----Optional
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror: electrochromatic-----electrochromatic - Optional
Memory Number of Drivers: 3 -Optional-----2 [The BMW has memory standard, but the Lexus has more optional, so Lexus has the advantage?]
Memory Passenger Seat: Optional-----Not Available
Memory Steering Wheel: Optional-----Not Available
Compass: Standard-----Optional
Electroluminescent Instrumentation: Standard-----Not Available [???]
Pre-collision Safety System: Optional-----Not Available[???]
Brakes - Front: ventilated disc 13.15 in. diameter 1.2 in. width-----ventilated disc 13 in. diameter .9 in. width
Knee airbags: dual front-----Not Available
Rear View Backup Camera: Optional-----Not Available
Parking Assist: front and rear parking sensors - Optional-----rear parking sensors - Optional
Anti-Theft Alarm System: remote anti-theft alarm system-----Not Available [No alarm available on the BMW? Liars!]
Rolling Code Security: rolling code remote-----rolling code key[???]
CD In-Dash: 6 CD player-----single CD player [I like how I can put 6 CDs onto an MP3 CD and not have to worry about it shuffling through 6 CDs ]
Stereo system-Watts: 194-----Not Available [The BMW doesn't have watts, or they don't have the info yet? Doesn't matter, Lexus has the advantage, lol]
Antenna Type: element-----diversity [uhm, Lexus wins?]
Premium Brand Speakers(Optional): Mark Levinson-----Not Available [Oh so I guess since the BMW comes with the upgraded Logic-7 system standard then Lexus wins on their optional stereo system]
CD In-Dash: 6 CD player-----Not Available [That's a little redundant, plus it is misleading because it makes it seem like the BMW doesn't have any CD player in dash]
Radio Data System: Available-----Not Available
Total Number of Speakers: 14-----Not Available [Lexus wins because BMW doesn't have any speakers!]
Subwoofers: 1-----Not Available[Obviosuly Lexus wins because if the BMW doesn't have any speakers, it doesn't have a sub!]
Watts: 300-----Not Available[BMW doesn't have an optional system, so Lexus wins!]
Antenna Type: element-----Not Available [BMW doesn't have an optional antenna, so Lexus wins again!]
Wireless Data Link for Navigation System: Bluetooth - Optional-----Not Available [???]

These are the comparison features from lexus.com that stated Lexus Advantage.
Now this really pisses me off, because they are such liars.
They claim they have an advantage on things that are preference,
or things that they say the BMW has optional, or unavailable when it actually has it.
A lot of the information is dead wrong, and they say they have an advantage.
I think it would be funny to go through everything and put a bmw logo next to everything where BMW has the advantage.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #39
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomamma
If the E90 was the only car on the planet we wouldn't need this web site. We need to compare/contrast brands to be OBJECTIVE. Not a bunch of e90 zombies that are brand whores. People like you ruin intelligent dialog; you should probably ignore posts where you join just to bash people...

rel·a·tiv·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rl-tv-t)
n.
The quality or state of being relative.
A state of dependence in which the existence or significance of one entity is solely dependent on that of another.
Wow! You are very smart. I feel intimidated posting to someone who owns a dictionary.

I wasn't trying to "ruin intelligent dialog" or "bash people". I was only reacting to the numerous Lexus threads on this site. I bear no ill will toward Nikki or LEDZEP, in fact I like them. I made my point and that's that.
      10-23-2005, 01:18 AM   #40
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I drove a loaded IS 250 today, and I have to say I'm impressed to a degree. This is a very poised, comfortable car that has beautiful leather and soft, soft seats. It handles pretty well, but in a numb way. The engine has no balls at all. The 250 is very underpowered compared to my 325i. The touchscreen Navi is easy to use and the rear camera is pretty awesome. But the dash layout, buttons, etc is totally cluttered.

The biggest knock I have on it is some of the plastics on the interior feel totally cheap and hollow- like the door handles! It makes you realize you are driving a Camry with some extra wood and leather.
      10-23-2005, 02:01 AM   #41
jomamma
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Let's be real.

Quote:
Wow! You are very smart. I feel intimidated posting to someone who owns a dictionary.

I wasn't trying to "ruin intelligent dialog" or "bash people". I was only reacting to the numerous Lexus threads on this site. I bear no ill will toward Nikki or LEDZEP, in fact I like them. I made my point and that's that.
IGNORE THE THREADS WITH LEXUS IN THEM. SIMPLE.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #42
ben1364
Captain
Rep

cosmosblau wrote in part, "...makes you realize you are driving a Camry with some extra wood and leather."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Not quite. The Camry is (1) considerably larger and, (2) front wheel drive. The IS is based on the GS architecture.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #43
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sit in a Camry and then sit in a Lexus and tell me there aren't similarities.
The Camry is a very nice car considering how much cheaper it is.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 07:11 AM   #44
ben1364
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Sit in a Camry and then sit in a Lexus and tell me there aren't similarities.
The Camry is a very nice car considering how much cheaper it is.
__________________________________________________ _
Of course there are similarities and I agree the Camry is nice. They are built by the same company. The Camry and the Lexus ES share a platform and most important components while the IS and the GS share most of the same. The IS platform is a shortened GS platform.
Appreciate 0