BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
barritt
Rep
Drives: 135i

Combox upgrade

Hello all,

Recently pulled a Combox out of a 2011 135i in a junkyard. I've got the cables needed for the upgrade and I believe the correct software. Anyone available to help me program a Combox upgrade this week?

Also, just to make sure I'd really only be getting the ability to control my Bluetooth phone through the wheel controls (i.e. next previous track) with this upgrade since i have an android phone correct?
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
barritt
Rep

Update

I installed the combox and figured out the coding. I also upgraded the combox to the latest version to get the details like artist and track name to show up. While I was in there I decided to code out the legal disclaimer at the navigation start up as well.

So I'm thinking I'm done, and then I went to test that the phone still works for calls and discovered the microphone is not working after the upgrade for phone calls or voice commands.

I saw a thread on another forum for e9x's that said some cables had to be modified in the glovebox area to get the microphone working for those cars. Is it the same deal for e8x cars?

FYI, I originally had a TCU/MULF combo and purchased a retrofit cable from online.

Any help from someone who has done the combox upgrade would be appreciated.
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
barritt
Rep

Well, did some more review of threads and found the pinout data. Did some continuity testing and found the pins for the microphone were on the connector labeled for the TCU. I took chance and reversed the TCU and MULF connector on the harness and now everything works. Looks like the harness connectors may have been miss labeled, or I just got them backwards on initial install.

Even did a voice command call to my wife and it showed her picture on the screen from the phone contacts.

So, problem solved.
Appreciate 2