BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
TFO
Rep
Drives: 1M

< 4,000 KM.....getting new diff

After about a month of hearing an odd metallic clang under different situations (usually at low speeds when letting off the throttle but beginning to hear in other situations), my dealer has ordered a new differential. I have been dealing with the lead technician at my local dealer (who has been awesome) and he seemed to know as soon as he heard the sound that the diff was not right. He has seen the issue in numerous older cars, never one with such low km. I might not ever know exactly what the problem is, as apparently BMW doesn't pay to have the technician take the diff apart and see whats going on....they just replace it (worth just under $5K CAD according to the technician).

Definitely seems a bit odd as I was very careful and followed all break-in procedures. Also, this is not at all the sound many M3 owners used to complain about (grinding sound while turning, etc) that has been handled by the friction modifier.

Anyway, will let everyone know more if I ever learn more.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I'm assuming the diff fluid was changed at 1,200 miles, and equally important - with the correct fluid?
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Hmmm... I think I may have the same issue, but I was thinking it was clutch related. When the car is cold and Im driving at low speeds, Ill shift from 1st to 2nd and get a clunk from the rear. (Cant really tell if its from below the middle or from behind it.)

That match what you were having?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Proof you should NEVER follow break in procedures by the book!
      05-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Alino
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M

Buddy of mine had to change his diff also. He had a e90 M3. But it had more than 4000km He had 50 000km I think and it was replaced free of charge
What are the symptoms that your diff has to be changed? Because I thought the noise at low speed cornering was pretty normal.

Thanks for the info
      05-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Alino,
Read post #1. He's pretty detailed.
      05-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Alino
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Alino,
Read post #1. He's pretty detailed.
Yes I saw that but as I said, on other topics at the forum they have mentioned these sounds at low speed cornering and there they say it is pretty normal.

So where is the difference?
      05-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Hmmm... I think I may have the same issue, but I was thinking it was clutch related. When the car is cold and Im driving at low speeds, Ill shift from 1st to 2nd and get a clunk from the rear. (Cant really tell if its from below the middle or from behind it.)

I get a very light thunk or a "donk" sound from 1st to second. Is that what you are hearing? Doesn't sound metallic, more like hitting an underside of a bucket sound once. I am just over 4500 miles.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 05-26-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

An odd metallic clang when lifting is new to me. Maybe I missed something.
      05-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

I often find that starting off in first gear, getting up over roughly 2500 RPM and abruptly letting off will induce a muted, metallic "thud" from what sounds like the diff. Normally only happens once or twice after a cold start and then goes away. Is this the same symptom or is this one of the more common ones?

This of course will also happen if I'm letting off to make a shift into second gear, but if I begin to clutch in and simultaneously let off the throttle (rather than an a more abrupt lift, followed by depressing the clutch) then I can keep the noise from happening, so it will only occur on a sudden reversal of the direction of load. Make sense?

Sometimes with new cars/new models, service managers make bad calls. I was an early adopter of a Mini Cooper S in '02 when they came out and those cars were known for having leaky coolant overflow bottles where a seam met in the middle. A simple design flaw was diagnosed by 2 separate dealers as needing a new head gasket(!)

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
TFO
Rep
Drives: 1M

They definitely used the correct fluid....I was pretty obsessive with making sure!

As I mentioned originally, this is not that sound at low speed while turning that M3 owners have complained about.

As far as the comments from a few people about the "thud" at low speeds...this is definitely not that. I think I know what you are referring to and I believe its related to the clutch delay valve...fairly common BMW issue. I find if you keep a touch of throttle on while engaging the clutch at low speeds you wont get the thud. Although I haven't noticed it at higher speeds as some mentioned here....just when parking, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I get a very light thunk or a "donk" sound from 1st to second. Is that what you are hearing? Doesn't sound metallic, more like hitting an underside of a bucket sound once. I am just over 4500 miles.
yeah, exactly.
Seems to go away once the car is warmed up tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Update on mine

Had the low sleep grinding which evolved into high speed grinding (such as when on an on ramp).

Diff oil addictive was added which removed the grinding in about 800km however started hearing other metal meshing noises at speed and cornering.

New diff ordered for my car this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus

Dual mass flywheel normal operation is what you are sensing.
Appreciate 0