BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
doodoax
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

1 Series Convertible E88 Amplifier Location??

I'm at my wits end trying to DIY upgrade the HiFi 676 amp in my 128i convertible I have taken apart the entire interior basically and installed upgraded speakers in the door pockets front and rear, subs under the seats, tweeters in the door corners, you name it.

I cannot figure out where the amplifier is on this car and how access it. Now I know what you're thinking; a quick search will tell you that it's inside the left trunk compartment, and that is true, in the E82 coupes. However, since the convertibles have the deck lid where the top is stored inside the trunk, there are levers on the left and right side of the trunk that are fixed in place and make the compartment areas on the sides (that you'd remove on the e82's to access the amp) impossible to remove.

I have removed the front and rear door trims and taken the seats out, and didn't see any evidence the amp would be there instead. Every single DIY amplifier replacement guide I have come across for the 1 series cars has been done on E82's. Please help if you're a fellow E88 owner or know anything about the amp location!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
Jsargevt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

It's in the trunk. Driver's side between the floor and the side wall just like the coupe. Trust me, its there. I have an E88. You have to push up the "holder" for the roof and do this activity with the roof up.

Edit: See this thread for a picture: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627666

Edit 2: See this video.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
doodoax
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsargevt View Post
It's in the trunk. Driver's side between the floor and the side wall just like the coupe. Trust me, its there. I have an E88. You have to push up the "holder" for the roof and do this activity with the roof up.

Edit: See this thread for a picture: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627666

Edit 2: See this video.
Thank you! I'll give that a shot and report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
bowny07
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Hi. Seen this whilst browsing so signed up especially. Your amp in the E88 is in the rear passenger side panel behind the speaker. Seat out job I'm afraid though to access it. It sits in it's own bracket held in by three bolts, two at top, single below.
I've literally replaced entire so-called 'Top Hi-Fi' Logic 7 system in mine within last week.
Hope it helps....

I really hope your system isn't fibre optic MOST debacle? If it is, it's hell on earth! (entirely personal opinion of course).

Good luck....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Jrman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowny07 View Post
Hi. Seen this whilst browsing so signed up especially. Your amp in the E88 is in the rear passenger side panel behind the speaker. Seat out job I'm afraid though to access it. It sits in it's own bracket held in by three bolts, two at top, single below.
I've literally replaced entire so-called 'Top Hi-Fi' Logic 7 system in mine within last week.
Hope it helps....

I really hope your system isn't fibre optic MOST debacle? If it is, it's hell on earth! (entirely personal opinion of course).

Good luck....
Do you have a picture or video of its location?
Appreciate 0